Am I bottlenecked?

anexcreed
Go to solution Solved by Alex(PlayMedium),

I've been playing planetside 2

planetside 2 is not a very good way to measure system performance, it is not very well coded.

That CPU and GPU combo ist just fine, if anything your GPU would be the bottleneck, but don't worry about it.

But you might want to undervolt your CPU, my phenom undervolts very well. it lowers the heat output and power consumption, but can cause instability, so make sure to stress test with p95 for 24+ hours ;)

To start, I understand that ever system is bottlenecked, just some more than others.

Now I think I'm very badly bottlenecked but im not sure.

I have an and phenom II x4 965 black with an HD 7770.

will over clocking help? Do I need yo get a need CPU?

"Am I bottlenecked?": Yes, every PC is. Even the ones that cost 1 million. (There's always something that bottlenecks the whole system.)

"Do I need yo get a need CPU?" I assume you meant 'Do I need a new CPU?': No, that CPU is fine for now.

I personally think bottlenecking certain parts of your system is personal preference. If you have a lot of things rendering then oc the cpu or if you want to cap certain games to more pretty then you could try oc the video card. If you want to add more stuff to your build go for an ssd or a better cooler/fans. I think bottlenecking occurs mostly in different games so It will depend on the type of games you play.

Mobo: GA-990XA-UD3 / Cpu: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.4Ghz / Memory: 2x4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz patriot intel extreme masters

VGA: xfx HD R7870 2GB  HDD: WD Black 1TB

Power Supply: Cx 500 Watts 80+ Bronze / Case: Corsair 200R / Cooler: Coolmaster 212 Evo

"Am I bottlenecked?": Yes, every PC is. Even the ones that cost 1 million. (There's always something that bottlenecks the whole system.)

"Do I need yo get a need CPU?" I assume you meant 'Do I need a new CPU?': No, that CPU is fine for now.

did you read my while post. Mainly the first sentence?

I personally think bottlenecking certain parts of your system is personal preference. If you have a lot of things rendering then oc the cpu or if you want to cap certain games to more pretty then you could try oc the video card. If you want to add more stuff to your build go for an ssd or a better cooler/fans. I think bottlenecking occurs mostly in different games so It will depend on the type of games you play.

did you read my while post. Mainly the first sentence?

I did not read your while post. Can you share a link please?

I personally think bottlenecking certain parts of your system is personal preference. If you have a lot of things rendering then oc the cpu or if you want to cap certain games to more pretty then you could try oc the video card. If you want to add more stuff to your build go for an ssd or a better cooler/fans. I think bottlenecking occurs mostly in different games so It will depend on the type of games you play.

Liberalism had made it's way into computers now! lol @ "bottlenecking certain parts of your system is personal preference" 

planetside 2 is not a very good way to measure system performance, it is not very well coded.

That CPU and GPU combo ist just fine, if anything your GPU would be the bottleneck, but don't worry about it.

But you might want to undervolt your CPU, my phenom undervolts very well. it lowers the heat output and power consumption, but can cause instability, so make sure to stress test with p95 for 24+ hours ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I wish the term "bottlenecking" would not be so overused. There is always some part of a system that is the limiting factor, but not only does that change depending upon what you are doing, but also, the limit is often far less extreme than an actual "bottleneck". "Bottlenecking" conjures up the idea that one particular component is severely holding back the entire system, but in most cases the hold back is a function of many different parts in various scenarios.

If the OP had a GTX- 690 in his system, then yes, the CPU would be the bottleneck IF he was trying to run a game on 3 monitors with max settings. But if he was just web-browsing, the internet speed would be the "bottleneck"

Conversely, if you are trying to play games with an i7-3770K on the on-chip HD4000 graphics, then the GPU would be the bottleneck.

In the case of a 965 with an HD7770, neither part is truly a "bottleneck" as both limit the performance to some extent in various scenarios.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD