home media player /media server /gaming pc

jarreddean

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=126913&action=wish_lists

So im planning a build using a number of Components I already have motherboard, cpu, hdds gpu. Hopefully the link above works but here are the components im planning on buying. The aim is the send out the pc desktop which will be running xbmc media player, to multiple tvs Scattered throughout the house. Using hd hopefully, I have a rti remote with a processor so controlling the system is no problem. however im worried about the multi display setup I have a 6990 which I was thinking Of using. If anyone can help with anything I need please let me know and also issue with display port and sending hdmi over 30m. Thanks guys

Ps it will be going into a new house being built so cabling isnt a issue

I haven't tried anything as 'elaborate' as this but a general rule that i've come across is that servers/storage/media servers aren't for gaming on. However you can take that advice or leave it.

Out of that list of parts, do you really need 750w? Probably not - if it's a single graphics card I'd say a 600w would be more than enough.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15349

One other thing I have noticed and personally believe in is that when you're making a server - don't use drives that you've picked up here and there. Buy them all at once (preferably from different stores [This is because think about how hard it is to tell them 'well these 8 drives don't work in my system so they must be faulty'] so that way you won't have drives dropping out on you here there and everywhere because some are older than others or have had more wear and tear..

I can't help you with the graphics and HDMI questions sorry

I haven't tried anything as 'elaborate' as this but a general rule that i've come across is that servers/storage/media servers aren't for gaming on. However you can take that advice or leave it.

Out of that list of parts, do you really need 750w? Probably not - if it's a single graphics card I'd say a 600w would be more than enough.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15349

One other thing I have noticed and personally believe in is that when you're making a server - don't use drives that you've picked up here and there. Buy them all at once (preferably from different stores [This is because think about how hard it is to tell them 'well these 8 drives don't work in my system so they must be faulty'] so that way you won't have drives dropping out on you here there and everywhere because some are older than others or have had more wear and tear..

I can't help you with the graphics and HDMI questions sorry

The idea behind the 750watt psu is for future hdd I have 10wd 1tb green already but will add more when needed. I know 750 is over kill but I might need more power later on. I'll probably add 5 3tb red or green drives after install see how the budget goes.

I saw your post in the cabling guide and that you were looking for a guide to do your own in wall cabling. I would check with your insurer because I know that here in Australia a electrician is required to carry out even network cable installation.

If you have a house fire that originated in a roof or wall cavity, the insurance company will wipe their hands of any and all responsibility because you have illegal cabling. That's Australia - so check with your insurance agent otherwise it may cost you big time.

I saw your post in the cabling guide and that you were looking for a guide to do your own in wall cabling. I would check with your insurer because I know that here in Australia a electrician is required to carry out even network cable installation.

If you have a house fire that originated in a roof or wall cavity, the insurance company will wipe their hands of any and all responsibility because you have illegal cabling. That's Australia - so check with your insurance agent otherwise it may cost you big time.

Thanks for the advice, I thought as much. DIY is almost impossible in AU. Very frustrating.

Just incase someone else sees this and thinks that's a load of shit because network cable carries very little current, i'll explain. There is some truth in that however it isn't because the cable itself is dangerous. There are set requirements for spacing between cabling and insulation as well as specific ways to instal it to ensure other cables such as mains 120/240v or light fittings aren't put into direct contact with insulation or other flamable materials. There's about 20 different standards all together that cable installations have to adhere to so I wouldn't risk anywhere from $10k to a couple of million all because you cheaped out on the installer.