Copper internet glitch

JaeDee884

This is a screenshot i took back in January while downloading stuff on steam.
ZYhxDYw.jpg?1

Speed test, using the exact same interwebs

2709130656.png

Figured steam lied to me :p

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I'm pretty sure steams unit of measurement for downloads is Byte where speed test it Bit

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=byte+to+bit&aq=f&oq=byte+to+bit&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l3j62l2.6977j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

bytes are the higher measurment, so i'd have over gigabit internet then :P

It's pretty much guaranteed a glitch, i live in a town where fiber internet maxes at 10Mbps down. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

Im pretty sure you just dont understand how computers work Jae. I think you should read a book.

I've had quite high peak download rates on Steam, higher even than what I should get from my ISP, but never have I seen such a high peak :P

And about your current download rate, 1.5 MB/s is 12 Mb/s, so that's indeed odd if it's max 10 Mb/s in your town. And it's especially weird because your speedtest is only half of that  :o Are you consistently getting 1.5 MB/s through Steam or was that only in January?

My actual downloads usually site between 1.1 and 1.8 and seeing as i'm used to this i think thats pretty dosh darn good ;D

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1368622846&v=19643081

Download Speed: 3711 kbps (463.9 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 596 kbps (74.5 KB/sec )

Edit: Also ping of 400.

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1368622846&v=19643081

Download Speed: 3711 kbps (463.9 KB/sec )   Upload Speed: 596 kbps (74.5 KB/sec )

Edit: Also ping of 400.

Sorry i forgot to mention that im pretty sure that speedtest.bbmax only have servers in the UK so ping and speed will vary a lot if you are not close.

Sorry i forgot to mention that im pretty sure that speedtest.bbmax only have servers in the UK so ping and speed will vary a lot if you are not close.

​personally found it to be decent speeds actually seeing as i'm downloading  DayZ+ and Origins atm so that'll be choking my speeds :P

One time I had a peak download rate of over 80gb/s. I'm on Wifi.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

One time I had a peak download rate of over 80gb/s. I'm on Wifi.

LOL

1 Mbps = 128 KBps

6.78 Mbps = 867.84 KBps

You're downloading five things at once, so obviously your download speed per game will be lower as the bandwith gets spread over 5 downloads.

Also, your connection isn't fiber, as fiber generally allows for equal down- and upload speeds. It also tends to be quick. Very quick. (We're talking 500Mbps here)

1 Mbps = 128 KBps

6.78 Mbps = 867.84 KBps

You're downloading five things at once, so obviously your download speed per game will be lower as the bandwith gets spread over 5 downloads.

Also, your connection isn't fiber, as fiber generally allows for equal down- and upload speeds. It also tends to be quick. Very quick. (We're talking 500Mbps here)

That's not true, fiber can be any speeds, and it depends on how you ISP balances the packages. 

The fastest internet you can get in Toronto is 250Mb/s and that's on fiber, and the other fastest option is 175Mb/s, also fiber.

Anyways, Speedtest measures in Mb (Megabits, or 1/8 of a Megabyte), while steam measures in Megabytes. So, if take the 1.5 MB/s that steam is reporting, times it by 8, you get 12Mb/s.

Even if your town "maxes out at 10Mb", that may just be what you're paying for, doesn't mean that's what you're getting. I pay for 25Mb/s and I get 80Mb/s!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

That's not true, fiber can be any speeds, and it depends on how you ISP balances the packages. 

I said they tend to be high speed connections; the ISP decides what to do with the bandwidth. Where I live they offer up to 500Mbps both up and down, whereas a non-fiber connection would give me 120Mbps down and just 10 up.

I pay for 25Mb/s and I get 80Mb/s!

That is an epic fail on the ISP's part, but good for you.

I said they tend to be high speed connections; the ISP decides what to do with the bandwidth. Where I live they offer up to 500Mbps both up and down, whereas a non-fiber connection would give me 120Mbps down and just 10 up.

That is an epic fail on the ISP's part, but good for you.

Well, they haven't failed, I have just complained about slow speeds, and every time you do that they give it that little boost, so I've done it enough that it makes a noticeable difference  B)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Still a fail on their behalf as they're providing you with a service you're not paying for.

It depends on his settings. With Speedtest.net you can change the settings to Megabits, Megabits, Kilobits, or Kiolbytes. Also, I think Steam reads in Bytes.

My PC Specs: Corsair HAF XB Case - i5 3570K CPU @ 4.2 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt Motherboard - 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 MHz (4 x 4GB) RAM - Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W PSU - Nvidia GT 520 1GB Video Card (Upgrading Soon) - Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Boot + Some Programs) - Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3 HDD (Main Storage) - Hitachi 250GB Laptop HDD (Recording Storage, old HDD) - Hitachi 320GB HDD (Random Storage, old HDD) - Asus PB238Q 23" LCD IPS Monitor (Main) - Acer AL2017 20" LCD Monitor (Secondary) - Logitech Z623 Computer Speaker - Blue Snowball Microphone - Logitech K120 Keyboard - Lenovo Mouse

Steam isn't what I would call a reliable speed test....

c9xE5sZ.png