Boot from USB Drive on Windows 8?

Go to solution Solved by SlimeGuy46,

I did some reading online, apparently it is very, very difficult to make a computer a hackintosh if windows is already installed on the drive you are using. I will have to wait until I get a new hard drive before I am able to do this. Thank you so much for all your help, but unfortunately this won't work.

I am currently running a dual boot of Windows 7 and 8 on a desktop computer. I just created a new partition to use as Hackintosh. I made a live USB for Mountain Lion. But, I am unable to boot to the flash drive. Even when I set my bios to boot from the drive first, Windows 8 boots instead. How do I override Windows 8 to get my computer to boot from the USB? By the way, I have an Asus motherboard, so it has a graphical bios interface. I have checked all around the internet for solutions, but none I have found worked. Thanks in advance!

Try mashing f12 at boot until you get a DOS menu that prompts you to choose your boot option. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

That did nothing. I mashed it as soon as I hit the power button, clicked 'Windows 8' when it asked what OS I wanted to boot, then mashed it until it loaded the lock screen.

That did nothing. I mashed it as soon as I hit the power button, clicked 'Windows 8' when it asked what OS I wanted to boot, then mashed it until it loaded the lock screen.

Try f8. I know there is a function button to do this but i'm not sure what it is.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Have you turned off the secure boot ?

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

BroKen: Secure boot is disabled.

brad: I believe it is delete, if I'm supposed to look for boot options before windows 8 boot loader starts up.

I have been looking in my motherboard's UFI to check if secure boot was enabled (it's not) and I messed something up, now windows is 'Attempting Repairs' after failing to boot twice. Will update as info comes.

EDIT: Windows failed to repair. I just tried 'automatic repair' too, which also failed. Weirdly, when I restarted the boot loader works again. I will try to disable the graphical boot loader, in favor of a traditional one. Next update will likely be in the morning.

brad: I believe it is delete, if I'm supposed to look for boot options before windows 8 boot loader starts up.

Del is to enter your bios, there is a function key that allows you to access boot priority. try mashing 1 function key per boot every time you boot to see which will bring up the menu

brad: F8 brought up the menu, I tried clicking on the drive to boot it, but it froze on the windows logo, forcing me to cut the power and restart

EDIT: I believe I have found a solution! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSACjBulq5Q

I just installed EasyBCD, and am going to try to get it to recognize my usb drive.

I did some reading online, apparently it is very, very difficult to make a computer a hackintosh if windows is already installed on the drive you are using. I will have to wait until I get a new hard drive before I am able to do this. Thank you so much for all your help, but unfortunately this won't work.

Well..at least we have an answer...Good luck..I am waiting for a HDD for my Linux distro as well..

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..