Best 7200rpm 3.5" 1TB-1.5TB HDD - Need recommendations

Lukiose

Hello! Building a new rig in a few days time. As i'm unable to afford anything more than a 128gb SSD to use as a boot drive, i'm looking for recommendations/reviews on which HDD is best to get. It must have a fast access time :3 As that'll be where my games go.

Currently looking at Seagate Barracudas, anything better?

Seagate Barracuda or WD Blacks are my two favorites. I've had problems on 7 different builds with WD Greens, Blues and Reds. However I have had a 7200.10 ('08) Barracuda die on me a couple of weeks ago too.

Barracuda or Black. Blue is probably fine but you'll get better load times on just about everything with black. Greens are okay for boot drives in my experience (I've had one in my HP pavillion for 3+ years), but they're very slow drives (especially on cold bootup). If you mostly put it to sleep or hibernate, Greens perform well though. Not sure about Red drives, but they're designed specifically for NAS so probably not the best idea. As far as Seagate goes, Barracuda is pretty standard and reliable.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I've been using my WD 1TB Black for over 2 years now and haven't had a single problem with it. Currently having problems with the 3TB Seagate Barracuda a few months after purchasing it.

If I had to redo my purchase, I think I'd just get a 2TB WD Black.

I've used Barracuda's, WD Blacks and Greens and haven't had a single problem with any of them (apart from one Black which was noisy. An RMA sorted that though;)).

Most people would recommend the WD Black, they perform very well.

Which drive is more silent? I've seen videos of both WDC Black and Seagate Barracuda making alot of noise while under load. Now i'm undecided x.x

My 2 TB Barracuda (ST2000DM001) is very quiet, I must put my ear very close to the case to hear it even during work.

Pretty much a given, either a caviar black, or a barracuda, i have one of each 1TB in my PC, they both perform amazingly

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I had a WD Black and it was pretty good, but VERY noisy.

I now have a Seagate Barracuda and I love it, it is quieter than the Black and is also pretty fast for a HDD. If you want better performance try using a RAM cache, makes my system a bit quicker in loading frequently used programs.

Speed without RAM cache:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1671[/ATTACH]

Speed with RAM cache:

post-2110-13667861179578_thumb.png

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Samsung spinpoint F3s are the highest user rated internal mechanical drive on newegg, although I've never used one myself. Tech Report always recommends them.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I had a WD Black and it was pretty good' date=' but VERY noisy. I now have a Seagate Barracuda and I love it, it is quieter than the Black and is also pretty fast for a HDD.[/quote']

Hard drives make noise?!

Never noticed; I also have a Seagate Barracuda ;)

I had a WD Black and it was pretty good' date=' but VERY noisy. I now have a Seagate Barracuda and I love it, it is quieter than the Black and is also pretty fast for a HDD.[/quote'] Hard drives make noise?! Never noticed; I also have a Seagate Barracuda ;)

Me either *shrug*

I think i'm going with a barracuda~ From surfing the webz it turns out that WD Blacks are High-performance but is noisy on the downside.

I had a WD Black and it was pretty good' date=' but VERY noisy. I now have a Seagate Barracuda and I love it, it is quieter than the Black and is also pretty fast for a HDD.[/quote']

Hard drives make noise?!

Never noticed; I also have a Seagate Barracuda ;)

It is really noticeable if your fans are quiet.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Seagate Baracuda is the way to go.... that is just a how it is. you dont have to mess around with choosing from GREENS, BLUES, BLACKS, and now REDS. all the SKUs have the same specs. and they use 1TB platers. and dont go for a odd number lile 1.5TB go for a 2TB because its much more cost effective.

Seagate Baracuda is the way to go.... that is just a how it is. you dont have to mess around with choosing from GREENS, BLUES, BLACKS, and now REDS. all the SKUs have the same specs. and they use 1TB platers. and dont go for a odd number lile 1.5TB go for a 2TB because its much more cost effective.
Got it, thanks for the heads-up