New media server build

Lordy

hey all.. iam a new user on here so sorry if i post this wrong :) 

i'm kinda wondering whitch socket to go for.  Trying to keep this as low powered as posible when it comes to cpu.  

its gona be mini-itx board with around 6 sata connectors. so then iam woundering does it have any meaning then to even look at  amd cpu`s ?  

Not sure if its just me but they do seem to need more power then lets say 1150/1155 that needs 35 - 53/54W.

I'd go for 1150 and some kind of T-series CPU, to keep the TDP to a minimum.

Tip: if your mobo has mSATA you're planning to use, check if it uses one SATA to run it.

Also take a look at this, you might find some interesting details.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

thats not a bad tip. didnt think about that.  tnx :)

is there any prefered chip sets to go for when going for the 1150?

Since you're not overclocking it doesn't really matter. You'd be fine with B or H series.

Also, quote the person you're replying to, or else they might never know you've replied to them.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

My little media server uses a G3220 - great cpu for the task (motherboard is in my sig)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Since you're not overclocking it doesn't really matter. You'd be fine with B or H series.

Also, quote the person you're replying to, or else they might never know you've replied to them.

ah ya i will remember that :)

Also will check out the link you provided. 

Here are 2 different setups of cpu + motherboard i put together from 2 stores.

price was almost equal.

Store 1:

Asus  H87I-PLUS

Intel G3220 3.0Ghz

Store 2:

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI

Intel Pentium G3240 3.1Ghz

I already have this;

Ram: 4 GB 1333 MHz Corsair

Storage: 5x 3TB WD green drives

I also see that Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI have “Wifi”  which i do not need, but i assume something like that can be disabled in bios when i dont need it?

also going to be running Freenas so to much more memory i assume isn't need there.

I'm in the same boat as you are right now and opting to go for a G3220 and that same motherboards as well. Those seems like the only viable options for mitx format if you're looking for lots of SATA ports

My other option was getting an APU (like the A6-6400K) but couldn't find an mitx mobo for it that cost just as much (or in stock) or has the same number of SATA ports.  (I think only the Asrock one does).

Let us know how it turns out for you!

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Here are 2 different setups of cpu + motherboard i put together from 2 stores.

price was almost equal.

Store 1:

Asus  H87I-PLUS

Intel G3220 3.0Ghz

Store 2:

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI

Intel Pentium G3240 3.1Ghz

I already have this;

Ram: 4 GB 1333 MHz Corsair

Storage: 5x 3TB WD green drives

I also see that Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI have “Wifi”  which i do not need, but i assume something like that can be disabled in bios when i dont need it?

also going to be running Freenas so to much more memory i assume isn't need there.

I'm in the same boat as you are right now and opting to go for a G3220 and that same motherboards as well. Those seems like the only viable options for mitx format if you're looking for lots of SATA ports

My other option was getting an APU (like the A6-6400K) but couldn't find an mitx mobo for it that cost just as much (or in stock) or has the same number of SATA ports.  (I think only the Asrock one does).

Let us know how it turns out for you!

I'm running the Intel G3220 on the Asus H87I-Plus in my FreeNAS box. Here was my thread for reference: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121481-nas-build-help/

So far its working flawlessly. You won't be disappointed. :)

As for the amount of RAM, the rule of thumb is 1GB per 1TB of storage with a minimum of 8GB. See http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Recommendations#RAM

And another note, FreeNAS runs fine off of a USB thumb drive, so that will save you a SATA port and make cable management a bit easier.

CPU is almost irrelevant for a HTPC... the GPU (should) be doing all the hard work.

My HTPC has a Athlon II Neo 1.3GHz x64, TDP is only 12W.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late posting.

i ended up going for this

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFIIntel Pentium G3240 3.1GhzTeam Elite Dark 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz (TDD38G1600HC901)Corsair Force LS 60GB SSD Sata 3Fractal Design Node 8048x 3TB WD Green`s 

And was a tight fit to get all does 8 drives into the 804. probably should invest in some 90 degrees sata/power plugs  :P

But iam thinking of changing out the stock fans. with some Noctua fans.  
But since this motherboard only have 1 free  woundering how can i do this ?

What i want is kinda this,. That the fan rpm speed go based on cpu heat.  

So i assume i would need some kind of pwm splitter to connect to my singel free sys_fan port ? 

Did not linus review something like this in a video not to long ago ?  *just cant remember what and when*

Sorry for the late posting.

i ended up going for this

Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFIIntel Pentium G3240 3.1GhzTeam Elite Dark 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz (TDD38G1600HC901)Corsair Force LS 60GB SSD Sata 3Fractal Design Node 8048x 3TB WD Green`s 

And was a tight fit to get all does 8 drives into the 804. probably should invest in some 90 degrees sata/power plugs  :P

But iam thinking of changing out the stock fans. with some Noctua fans.  

But since this motherboard only have 1 free  woundering how can i do this ?

What i want is kinda this,. That the fan rpm speed go based on cpu heat.  

So i assume i would need some kind of pwm splitter to connect to my singel free sys_fan port ? 

Did not linus review something like this in a video not to long ago ?  *just cant remember what and when*

How are you connecting all the HDDs that mobo only has 6 SATA ports and you have 8 drives?

The Phoenix | i7 3930K 4.6Ghz | Z79A-GD45 Plus | 2 x GTX 780 SLI | 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Two 240GB Samsung 840s | 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD | Silverstone TJ07 | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop

Streaming PC/LAN Rig | i7 920 3Ghz | Biostar X58 T-Power | GTX 460 1024Mb | 8GB XMS3 1333Mhz | 120GB Corsair SSD | Avermedia Live gamer HD C985 

How are you connecting all the HDDs that mobo only has 6 SATA ports and you have 8 drives?

Oh i seem to forgot to add the 4 port SATA3 pci-express controller i also have :) .. dont remmeber the name of it atm .  So total 10 SATA ports.

Oh i seem to forgot to add the 4 port SATA3 pci-express controller i also have :) .. dont remmeber the name of it atm .  So total 10 SATA ports.

That explains it then! I really need to redo my media server. Are you running the drives in a RAID array or anything?

The Phoenix | i7 3930K 4.6Ghz | Z79A-GD45 Plus | 2 x GTX 780 SLI | 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Two 240GB Samsung 840s | 1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD | Silverstone TJ07 | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop

Streaming PC/LAN Rig | i7 920 3Ghz | Biostar X58 T-Power | GTX 460 1024Mb | 8GB XMS3 1333Mhz | 120GB Corsair SSD | Avermedia Live gamer HD C985 

That explains it then! I really need to redo my media server. Are you running the drives in a RAID array or anything?

No not running any RAID atm. Never usted RAID before so that is kinda new area for me.  But i should probably do, to make the drives that does backup a bit safer incase something happens.

I run a program that copies the whole drive contents to another. Works quite well. Keeps stuff you've accidentally deleted as well. Which has been a life saver more than once!

I run a program that copies the whole drive contents to another. Works quite well. Keeps stuff you've accidentally deleted as well. Which has been a life saver more than once!

whitch program do you run? :)

whitch program do you run? :)

It's called second copy, there's a few others like free file sync as well. I also have a mirror of the backup drive on "the cloud" with a company called Livedrive