RIFT goes free to play

penguin_

I played it in alpha and beta for over nine months, plus a month after release, you couldn't get me to spend another minute in Telara if you paid me good money lol.

I guess they are gonna have microtransactions to keep themselves alive now. I personally never played RIFT though. I head it's similar to WoW

It's very much like WoW, probably more than any other WoW clone, but there's a couple of gimmicks on top of it.

But if you play The Elder Scrolls Online when it comes out, you'll be covered as it's pretty much just Rift 2.0 with more PvP. Both visually and conceptually.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

The game was decent when I played it which was early launch but there were so many issues at the time it was more a headache than it was worth. It might be better now, can't say either way but I haven't seen very many games at all sustain the test of time for PTP other than WOW.

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

The game was decent when I played it which was early launch but there were so many issues at the time it was more a headache than it was worth.

What on earth are you talking about, Rift was the smoothest launch in the entirety of MMORPG history, if you had a problem with that then you have way too high standards and should never touch mmos at launch.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

What on earth are you talking about, Rift was the smoothest launch in the entirety of MMORPG history, if you had a problem with that then you have way too high standards and should never touch mmos at launch.

I have extremely high standards. Almost to the point that I don't play games anymore period because I feel 99% of the products are rushed. Even Blizzard dropped the ball with Diablo 3, the only game I "waited" for to be released could not even be played for hours after launch. I mean isn't the purpose of beta so the game is correct when it's fully released. You may be right though. I could be thinking of Aion or something. I've played a lot of MMO's so it's all kinda a blurr. I may be neurotic idk but games aren't even really fun for me anymore because I have this addiction of staring at the fps instead of playing the game.

i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 1.37v | Asus Z490-E Strix | Asus Rtx 2080ti Strix | 16Gb Trident Z Rgb @ 3600MHz | Samsung 970 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w  | Corsair 500D | Celcius s36 /w ML Pro's

i7 8700k @ 4.8GHz, 1.31v | Asus Z370-A Prime | Asus Gtx 1080ti Strix | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | Samsung 850 Evo | Corsair TX 650W  | Corsair 750D | Corsair H100i v2 /w SP-120's

Norwegian I have no clue where you are getting your info but ESO is not going to be anything like Rift lol

But to address what this thread is actually about. When I first heard it was going F2P I screamed in joy but also wept tears of sadness at the same time. I'm so happy that there is going to be a huge influx of players coming back to the game and first timers checking it out but fucking dammit does microtransactions piss me off so much when done wrong. And I believe Trion is actually going to fuck up the real money shop, they plan to add gear to it, which is the worse possible thing they could ever do.

Norwegian I have no clue where you are getting your info but ESO is not going to be anything like Rift lol

TESO's art direction is an exact replica of Rift. All the zones are mirrors of zones from Rift in some way or another, there is a dungeon exactly like Deepstrike Mine, there is a dungeon exactly like the first raid in Rift (evergreen something) the colour palette used is the EXACT same, lots of lavender and rich purples and greens everywhere and robes, pauldrons and armor worn by characters look like they were ported straight from Rift.

Content wise the questing is the exact same, the combat is the exact same though TESO lacks dual targeting etc.

I couldn't bear more than 3 days of reluctant playing of the TESO beta before I did a table flip of anger at the intense Deja-Vu.

Basically, TESO has no traditional Elder Scrolls art direction, instead of natural colours you will see pastel and fairy puke shit just like Rift and all the other mass production MMOs.

But to address what this thread is actually about. When I first heard it was going F2P I screamed in joy but also wept tears of sadness at the same time. I'm so happy that there is going to be a huge influx of players coming back to the game and first timers checking it out but fucking dammit does microtransactions piss me off so much when done wrong. And I believe Trion is actually going to fuck up the real money shop, they plan to add gear to it, which is the worse possible thing they could ever do.

Agreed, I don't ever mind cosmetic things being micro transactions because it doesn't change the equality of the players but when you can just buy all the best gear because you have money to burn hurts the entire game community in my option.

TESO's art direction is an exact replica of Rift. All the zones are mirrors of zones from Rift in some way or another, there is a dungeon exactly like Deepstrike Mine, there is a dungeon exactly like the first raid in Rift (evergreen something) the colour palette used is the EXACT same, lots of lavender and rich purples and greens everywhere and robes, pauldrons and armor worn by characters look like they were ported straight from Rift.

Content wise the questing is the exact same, the combat is the exact same though TESO lacks dual targeting etc.

I couldn't bear more than 3 days of reluctant playing of the TESO beta before I did a table flip of anger at the intense Deja-Vu.

Basically, TESO has no traditional Elder Scrolls art direction, instead of natural colours you will see pastel and fairy puke shit just like Rift and all the other mass production MMOs.

The zones aren't mirrors of rift. Just because one game has a desert zone and then another game also has a desert zone doesn't make it the same.

Yes the colors may be vibrant but that is a theme in pretty much all new mmo's.

Content wise the questing is the same in every mmo, "kill 10 bears then report back to me". It is called a genre.

For the combat statement, you must have been on some good shit because you are definitely trippin if you think a action rpg is the same as a button smasher lol

The zones aren't mirrors of rift. Just because one game has a desert zone and then another game also has a desert zone doesn't make it the same.

The zones as a collective are. I am not comparing one zone to the other and calling them the same, I am saying that the total zones match in theme and art. For every zone you saw in Rift, there is a counterpart in TESO. Every. Zone.

Yes the colors may be vibrant but that is a theme in pretty much all new mmo's.

Why is that defensible to you? Is this not an Elder Scrolls game? Shouldn't it look like an Elder Scrolls title? What law stated that all MMOs must comply to this children's book illustration standard? I direct your attention to Age of Conan, a game that actually looks more like an Elder Scrolls game than TESO itself:

screenshot_age_of_conan__unchained_2012_

Content wise the questing is the same in every mmo, "kill 10 bears then report back to me". It is called a genre.

Wrong. MMOG is not a genre, it is a technology. RPG is a genre and as we've seen in thousands of single player RPGs, the deviations in gameplay can range in extreme widths. As a few brave games like The Secret World and Star Trek Online have shown us, so can MMORPGs. Content design for an MMORPG does not require this asinine level of repetition. That is a fallacy, and circular logic. The Secret World proved that it is possible to turn the MMORPG system into something able to provide a quality story from any given quest, without repetitious tasks in every mission. TESO is taking the same lazy way out as all quick cash grab MMOs have, by limiting or eliminating the RPG part of MMORPG. What you are then left with is the shell, the technology, the MMOG.

For the combat statement, you must have been on some good shit because you are definitely trippin if you think a action rpg is the same as a button smasher lol

What? I don't even know what you mean about this. Are you saying all MMORPGs should have tab targeting and simple one key ability activations? Because again, other games have used other more immersive means way successfully already, and once more you are confusing genre with technology.

Guild wars II did address this to make it somewhat more enjoyable than a straight grind.

Norwegian I honestly can't have a conversation with you. You go off on so many tangents that it is impossible, I'm sorry.