Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Abyssal Radon

Would this laptop be good?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Case: Fractal Define R6 USB-C Tempered Glass CPU: i7 5930K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified RAM: 48GB DDR4 2666MHz G.Skill GPU: MSi GTX 980 Ti Lightning Edition PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum Drives: 500GB SSD (2x), 960GB SSD, 120GB SSD, 2TB (2x) HDD, 4TB HDD, & 500GB HDD Displays: Acer Predator 27" XB271HU 165Hz G-Sync (1440p) & 2x Dell P2715Q 27" (2160p) 

No, it would distract you way too much from school.

Also i wouldn't recommend gaming laptops in general. Just get a simple one 13" or 15" with an i5 for ~500-600 bucks and invest into a real gaming PC if you feel the need.

edit: maybe replace the laptop's HDD with an SSD manually right off the bat, but don't buy one with descrete graphics, they are sucky.

who cares...

Also i wouldn't recommend gaming laptops in general. Just get a simple one 13" or 15" with an i5 for ~500-600 bucks and invest into a real gaming PC if you feel the need.

edit: maybe replace the laptop's HDD with an SSD manually right off the bat, but don't buy one with descrete graphics, they are sucky.

This.

Get an ultrabook for school, and a real PC for gaming. Gaming laptops are anus.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Posted · Original PosterOP

I forgot to mention this, I will be doing a lot of CAD with this machine. Also I have a pretty beefy gaming desktop :)

Case: Fractal Define R6 USB-C Tempered Glass CPU: i7 5930K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: EVGA X99 Classified RAM: 48GB DDR4 2666MHz G.Skill GPU: MSi GTX 980 Ti Lightning Edition PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum Drives: 500GB SSD (2x), 960GB SSD, 120GB SSD, 2TB (2x) HDD, 4TB HDD, & 500GB HDD Displays: Acer Predator 27" XB271HU 165Hz G-Sync (1440p) & 2x Dell P2715Q 27" (2160p) 

I forgot to mention this, I will be doing a lot of CAD with this machine. Also I have a pretty beefy gaming desktop :)

Well, I'm in the market for a similar laptop. So here's my $0.02:

CAD is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. My guess is a mid range gaming laptop with an i7 shouldn't have any issues with CAD. That being said, more engineering programs require workstation class GPUs (Quadros/ FirePros) to work properly. I've heard stories of SolidWorks running super slow on even the top gaming laptops, so that's something to look out for.

But yeah, right now I'm looking at the Lenovo W540 for these reasons (I'm also going to be using AutoCAD and possibly SolidWorks).

Just get an Ultra Book/Macbook and when it starts to struggle just use your desktop. It is highly unlikely you will need anything super powerful for school.