All about air: Pressure, Flow, CFM, ECT

spwath

Arnt noctua redux sub $20?

An I need 140mm and some 140mm with 120mm mounts. the good thing with the redux is they have the exact same fans in both so i can run off a single fan header in PWM. i look at the AP123 way back when I had my Intel DX79SI but then I had issues and got a sabertooth and some NF-F12 PWM's.

Right, i was thinking industrial PPC.

Yeah, relized thoes were not 140, woops.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Right, i was thinking industrial PPC.

Yeah, relized thoes were not 140, woops.

I mean I would love to get those but price diffenece and im just going to be running them at minimum 90% of the time. I also then dont know what I would do with the 120mm mount 140mm fans.

Added the popular H440 to the growing airflow database!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

What would be the ideal fan setup for a H440 with a Hyper 212 evo?

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

What would be the ideal fan setup for a H440 with a Hyper 212 evo?

The one I showed in op with the tower cooler

I've just started gathering components for a new PC, using the 750D case. I need a little advice as to the orientation of my fans.

I plan on using an AIO water cooling solution for my CPU (H110 280mm) with 2 140mm fans, mounted at the top of the case as exhaust in a pull configuration.

Other than that I plan on using 2x 140mm fans at the front as intake, 1x 140mm fan at the rear as exhaust and 1x 120mm fan at the bottom rear fan mount as intake.

Now this exact configuration would result in less intake than exhaust, if you only consider the fans that is (I'm not sure if the radiator has any effect on the amount of air exhausted). This, unfortunately, is not what I would prefer, as I'd like slightly positive pressure.

In case you need this information, I'm using Noctua Industrial fans for the radiator and Corsair Quiet Edition LED fans for the rest.

As I see it I have 2 options:

Reverse the rear fan to make it intake giving me 4 intake 2 exhaust

or

Mount an extra fan at the third mount at the top and configure it as an intake, giving me 4 intake and 3 exhaust (Will this even fit next to the 280mm radiator?)

Any tips you might have, would be highly appreciated as this is my first time actually doing some research before building a PC.

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R CPU: Intel i7 2600k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w. 2x Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 HDD: Random WD 500GB (It's old) PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w. 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial in pull Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 MHz GPU: ASUS GTX780 DCUII SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo HDD: WD Green 3TB PSU: Corsair AX860i

Monitor: BenQ 24" XL2410T Keyboard: Logitech G19 Mouse: Logitech G500 Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Digital Headphones: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

I've just started gathering components for a new PC, using the 750D case. I need a little advice as to the orientation of my fans.

I plan on using an AIO water cooling solution for my CPU (H110 280mm) with 2 140mm fans, mounted at the top of the case as exhaust in a pull configuration.

Other than that I plan on using 2x 140mm fans at the front as intake, 1x 140mm fan at the rear as exhaust and 1x 120mm fan at the bottom rear fan mount as intake.

Now this exact configuration would result in less intake than exhaust, if you only consider the fans that is (I'm not sure if the radiator has any effect on the amount of air exhausted). This, unfortunately, is not what I would prefer, as I'd like slightly positive pressure.

In case you need this information, I'm using Noctua Industrial fans for the radiator and Corsair Quiet Edition LED fans for the rest.

As I see it I have 2 options:

Reverse the rear fan to make it intake giving me 4 intake 2 exhaust

or

Mount an extra fan at the third mount at the top and configure it as an intake, giving me 4 intake and 3 exhaust (Will this even fit next to the 280mm radiator?)

Any tips you might have, would be highly appreciated as this is my first time actually doing some research before building a PC.

I would either just remove the rear exhaust fan or turn it around.

If you turn it around i would get a filter for it.

I would either just remove the rear exhaust fan or turn it around.

If you turn it around i would get a filter for it.

Alright, cool. Thanks.

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R CPU: Intel i7 2600k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w. 2x Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 HDD: Random WD 500GB (It's old) PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w. 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial in pull Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 MHz GPU: ASUS GTX780 DCUII SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo HDD: WD Green 3TB PSU: Corsair AX860i

Monitor: BenQ 24" XL2410T Keyboard: Logitech G19 Mouse: Logitech G500 Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Digital Headphones: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

• 9 months later...

THought i would update this, anyone want anything else added?

Any air cooling questions?

Added S340 to OP.

Still taking requests for cases.

Source ???  if you have no source I will get flamed for linking this even if it's true.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Source ???  if you have no source I will get flamed for linking this even if it's true.

For what?

Other than the terms, the rest is just logical.

For what?

Other than the terms, the rest is just logical.

I was kidding.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I was kidding.

OK good.

Added S340 to OP.

Still taking requests for cases.

I feel the S340 is kinda a pain depending on whats cooling your cpu.

I feel the S340 is kinda a pain depending on whats cooling your cpu.

What do you mean?

Added enthoo luxe/pro

What do you mean?

Basically fan placement and orientation. the only easy one a front 240/280mm rad.

Good guide. @WoodenMarker, maybe this should get pinned?

You could add explanations on controlling fans (PSU, controller, mobo), connectors (both mobo and 3pin vs PWM) to clear up some common misunderstandings.

On airflow. When 120mm AIO at back is used, it tends to block chipset heatsinks and so heating them up since there isn't cpu cooler helping to keep them cool. In that situation using one or both top fans as intake is good option. Also I'd like to see some recommended solution how to keep cases with horizontal mounted mobo cool. As in Bitfenix Phenom.

Added them, a little late, but I did.

• 8 months later...

Updated with some more info

• 2 weeks later...

Added more info, and formated some stuff better

• 4 years later...

I'm hearing that it is better to have the top fan actually be an intake. I have an nzxt h500, with a dual fan nh-d15. Two 140mm noctua in the front intake, a noctua 140mm on the top as exhaust and a noctua 120mm on the rear as exhaust. If I swapped the top fan to be an intake as well, that would leave me with one exhaust and the lowest cfm exhaust at that. The cpu cooler is very close to the top fan and I can see how the top fan blowing straight down into the cpu cooler could be beneficial, but at the expense of a more balanced pressure, I am not sure if its worth it.

Thoughts?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Top front intake is good for CPU tower cooler, but not so much for GPU.

It basically blows the hot air that is exhausted by GPU back to the bottom of GPU, and GPU just keeps recycling those hot air.

It is very problematic for cases with low airflow. 

I had done some tests some time ago.(testing 120/140/200mm fan as top front intake, 200mm is the worst for GPU cooling, almost 3C hotter.) In the end, I decided to leaving top front fan mount empty, which provided more balanced CPU/GPU temperature.

As for rear top exhaust, I mounted a noctua A14 as exhaust, it pretty much does nothing. There is some hot air being exhausted out when the fan is running at 100%,but both the CPU/GPU temperatures are completely the same.

CPU/GPU temperatures mostly depend on front and rear fans, temperatures are 2~3C lower when increasing fan speed from 1200 rpm to 1800 rpm.(All fans are A12x25)

All tests are done in Cooler Master H500.

tl;dr : "In my testing", front and rear fans are the most important fans. Top rear exhaust does nothing. Top front intake provides fresh air for cpu cooler but worsens GPU thermals. 

This reddit post contains some really useful information on axial fans.

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

also this topic is like over 4 years old

airflow doesn't matter that much. My computer now is in a powermac g4 case with 1 fan that intakes from a solid panel, a stock cpu cooler, and blower gpu. Its fine.

I didn't realise it was that old. Didn't look at the dates. I didn't get a necro warning, i guess because someone else necroed it right before i posted. but thanks for the info any!

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.