Is GEIL RAM good?

RAM is RAM. 

No

RAM is RAM

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

RAM is RAM. 

Same thought here, just heard bad things about GEIL RAM in specific.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Never heard of them. I would not trust them.

Same thought here, just heard bad things about GEIL RAM in specific.

My guess would be that somebody just had a bad experience with it. Corsair RAM actually has some of the worst RMA rates (just shy of 5%) 

stick with comonly used RAM if you want no problems...this is not the place to cheap out and save 5$...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well the name is a little....questionable if you're from around here x3

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

stick with comonly used RAM if you want no problems...this is not the place to cheap out and save 5$...

Actually, it's EXACTLY the place to cheap out and save 5 bucks. Like, the one place you should always do that unless you really want to pay extra for a certain look.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Actually, it's EXACTLY the place to cheap out and save 5 bucks. Like, the one place you should always do that unless you really want to pay extra for a certain look.

Thought so.

Well the name is a little....questionable if you're from around here x3

I am also from a german speaking country ;)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

haha wow you havnt built a lot of PC saying stuff like that...you want a descent brand at least to have good customer service in case something goes wrong, ram is a very delicate thing and it is the part that has the highest failure rate...not the place to cheap out 5$!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

haha wow you havnt built a lot of PC saying stuff like that...you want a descent brand at least to have good customer service in case something goes wrong, ram is a very delicate thing and it is the part that has the highest failure rate...not the place to cheap out 5$!

Geil is good and the many current ram kits have solid lifetime warranties.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Geil is good and the many current ram kits have solid lifetime warranties.

fair enough i don't know this brand never heard of it before...i use mainly kingston and corsair RAM sticks..never had problem with those...had problem with Gskill and crucial ballistix (those are shit) ***not the gskill i think i got unlucky but CRUCIAL IS SH!t!

That is blatantly false and you should know that. PSUs you don't save on, RAM you ABSOLUTELY save on. They are very difficult to do wrong, why do you think so many kits have lifetime warranties these days?

I am also from a german speaking country ;)

Oh nonono, Dutch speaking here. Way worse :P

That is blatantly false and you should know that. PSUs you don't save on, RAM you ABSOLUTELY save on. They are very difficult to do wrong, why do you think so many kits have lifetime warranties these days?

no, you do save on RAM by not getting the top end fastest RAM yes that is correct it's pointless for 99% of the users to have faster RAM...but you won't skimp on quality and customer service for the most fragile part on a machine i will never agree with you on that.

no, you do save on RAM by not getting the top end fastest RAM yes that is correct it's pointless for 99% of the users to have faster RAM...but you won't skimp on quality and customer service for the most fragile part on a machine i will never agree with you on that.

You are factually wrong. Let me quote another post made by hawaiims earlier on hardware failure rates. (link here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/108284-huge-list-of-failure-rates-on-pc-components-french-but-i-translated-nearly-everything/)

The first stats are for RAM, for comparison the next are for Mother boards and GPUs respectively. Now looking at those it is BLATANTLY obvious that RAM is no where near the most vulnerable component in a PC. In fact it is the least defective component out of all of them. You can't argue with that, I don't know where on earth you got your information but it just isn't accurate.

RAM FAILURE RATES

Article posted on October 30th, 2013:

Average Failure rates:

- Kingston 0,20% (vs 0,20% before)

- Crucial 0,46% (vs 0,39% before)

- G.Skill 0,90% (vs 0,95% before)

- Corsair 1,08% (vs 1,18% before)

For the third consecutive period, the ranking stays the same. Kingston keeps it's very low return rate, while we see a small increase in crucial and a small improvement in G. Skill and Corsair failure rates. 

Here again, we don't take see any memory kits with over 5% return rates, nevertheless here are the 5 kits with the highest return rates:

- 4,41% Corsair XMS 4 GB (2x2) DDR3 1333 CL9

- 4,14% Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1333 CL9

- 3,63% Corsair Value Select 8 GB DDR3 1333 CL9

- 2,73% Corsair Mac Memory SO-DIMM 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1066 CL7

- 2,67% Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM 16 GB (2x8) DDR3 1600 CL10

MOTHERBOARDS

Average Failure rates:

- Gigabyte 1,43% (vs 1,19% year before)

- MSI 1,83% (vs 3,05% year before)

- ASUS 1,86% (vs 1,79% year before)

- ASRock 2,09% (vs 2,09% year before)

MSI considerably improved it's rate compared to the previous year, which had a rate of 2.03%. if you were to exclude one of their main model (the Z77A-G45) which had a failure rate of 4.94%. The manufacturer returns from fourth place to 2nd place, and Gigabyte still leads the pack despite a higher failure rate this year. 

If we look more explicitly at the failure rates for LGA 1155 Z77 express motherboards, here is the result:

- MSI 1,88%

- ASUS 2,01%

- Gigabyte 2,44%

- ASRock 3,51%

GPUS

Average Failure rates:

- PNY 0,94% (vs 1,32% before)

- MSI 1,38% (vs 1,81% before)

- Gainward 1,61% (vs 1,27% before)
- Zotac 1,70% (N/A)

- ASUS 1,81% (vs 1,69% before)

- Gigabyte 1,84% (vs 1,54% before)
- Sapphire 3,15% (vs 3,51% before)

PNY jumps from second to first place, while Sapphire keeps it's last position. We have to however clarify that PNY sales are not often for higher end cards, which are more subject to failure. And as proof that the average ROF doesn't necesarilly give the best idea, the GTX 660 which was the card from PNY with the most returns had a rate of 2.86%

MSI also makes a noteworthy improvement to 2nd place, here are the models that obtained failure rates higher than 5%, there are unfortunately many:

- 12,67% Sapphire Radeon HD 7850

- 7,44% Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 OC V2

- 7,41% Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 OC V1

- 7,02% Sapphire HD 7950 With Boost (11196-16)

- 6,09% ASUS HD7750-DCSL-1GD5

- 5,82% Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 V1

- 5,65% Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 V2

- 5,30% Gainward GeForce GTX 670

You are factually wrong. Let me quote another post made by hawaiims earlier on hardware failure rates. (link here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/108284-huge-list-of-failure-rates-on-pc-components-french-but-i-translated-nearly-everything/)

The first stats are for RAM, for comparison the next are for Mother boards and GPUs respectively. Now looking at those it is BLATANTLY obvious that RAM is no where near the most vulnerable component in a PC. In fact it is the least defective component out of all of them. You can't argue with that, I don't know where on earth you got your information but it just isn't accurate.

Where are Geils failure rates, by the way? You are comparing the top brands, the reliable ones. The ones you spend an extra $5 on. I would always recommend going with a reliable brand for any PC part, and never recommend paying any more to buy RAM over 1600Mhz unless money is no object.

Intel i7 4770k 4.3Ghz 1.23v | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | EVGA 980 SC 1530Mhz | Samsung Evo 500GB 850, 250GB 840, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black | Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth | Razer Naga 2012 EVGA SuperNOVA 750W B1

Yes Geil is a good compney to go with Memory.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I've used GEiL RAM in the past an it's thrown no issues. They're a fairly old brand, and all the old bad RAM brands were bought out in the DDR2 days

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Where are Geils failure rates, by the way? You are comparing the top brands, the reliable ones. The ones you spend an extra $5 on. I would always recommend going with a reliable brand for any PC part, and never recommend paying any more to buy RAM over 1600Mhz unless money is no object.

I'm comparing entire classes of products, the brands themselves are irrelevant, any reasonable person realises that.

i must have had at least 1% of all msi's rma'ed gpu's because they have a 75% failure rate for me

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i must have had at least 1% of all msi's rma'ed gpu's because they have a 75% failure rate for me

Same here. Both MSI products i bought (1 gpu and 1 mobo) had to be RMAd and even after RMA the mobo didn't work.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

You can always have bad luck :P

Well as someone who has 4GB of their RAM that's been going for just over 3 years They're not too bad.