Should I "crossgrade"?

I have an APU, and like the fool I was when I built it, I thought it was cool. Now I've realized how stupid I was and manned up and got a proper graphics card.

Now I am sitting here with an APU that is only using the CPU part. That's got me thinking: Should I switch the CPU out, sell it and stick a 750K in and overclock it? Am I making a mistake? Surely there are more transistors per core on the 750K processor die, or is it really just a 5800K with the GPU turned off?

If I do this, I can save about $30 on my machine. Probably doesn't sound like a lot, but with the way things are at the moment...

Please help!

You probably could sell your APU, and maybe get a 760K if it will fit in your budget.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'd personally just stick with your current APU. Too lazy to such a switch. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Don't do it. Either sell the APU and go from there or just save up for a system overhaul. Instead of putting more money into the problem you might as well just take your losses.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I can get a cheap 750K for about $65 if I search hard enough. The 5800K will go for at least $100. I just don't know if it's worth it.

Don't do it. Either sell the APU and go from there or just save up for a system overhaul. Instead of putting more money into the problem you might as well just take your losses.

Also, I would be making money off of this, technically.

Sell the APU and motherboard and get something a bit better :)

Won't that make Win7 think it's not real?

I swapped my A10 5800K (very similar situation to you at time) with FX8320 and didn't have to re-install.

AMD to AMD CPU *should* be OK.

Original hardware:

A10 5800K

ASRock FM2 A85X-Extreme4-m

Replaced with:

FX8320

M5A97 EVO R2.0

AMD to intel on the other hand... no-no.

I have an APU, and like the fool I was when I built it, I thought it was cool. Now I've realized how stupid I was and manned up and got a proper graphics card.

Now I am sitting here with an APU that is only using the CPU part. That's got me thinking: Should I switch the CPU out, sell it and stick a 750K in and overclock it? Am I making a mistake? Surely there are more transistors per core on the 750K processor die, or is it really just a 5800K with the GPU turned off?

If I do this, I can save about $30 on my machine. Probably doesn't sound like a lot, but with the way things are at the moment...

Please help!

wait so you are currently running the A10-5800K?

the 750K is pretty much what you said, a CPU with the GPU part locked or disabled

I will say you could save money by sticking to the current APU and OC the hell out of it. 

with the CoolerMaster 212 Evo air cooler alone, you can achieve at least 4.5GHz

AMD APUs can still OC like a boss.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Is that a thing? I'm using one key on all seven desktops in the house. Well, five are 8 and two are 8.1 but it's all the same key.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Is that a thing? I'm using one key on all seven desktops in the house. Well, five are 8 and two are 8.1 but it's all the same key.

Maybe Microsoft went with the "per person" thing with 8 but with windows 7 it's definitely "per system". I have tried.

the 750K is pretty much what you said, a CPU with the GPU part locked or disabled

Now, that really irritates me. They could have made an absolute killer quad-core CPU but instead they just took the pathways off of the 5800K GPU. Total waste of good space. That's 42% of the processor die that they could have used. No wonder AMD keeps losing to Intel.

Now, that really irritates me. They could have made an absolute killer quad-core CPU but instead they just took the pathways off of the 5800K GPU. Total waste of good space. That's 42% of the processor die that they could have used. No wonder AMD keeps losing to Intel.

actually the reason why they have 750k or the 760K

was poor production when they were making the APU

not all APU came out perfect and some APU iGPU section was really broken but the CPU was fine. 

So instead they packaged it and name it as Athlon X4 series

the 750K is based of the Trinity and the 760K was based on the Richland

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

actually the reason why they have 750k or the 760K

was poor production when they were making the APU

not all APU came out perfect and some APU iGPU section was really broken but the CPU was fine. 

So instead they packaged it and name it as Athlon X4 series

the 750K is based of the Trinity and the 760K was based on the Richland

Still, though, come on.

Still, though, come on.

the main idea of AMD was basically creating a beast iGPU part of the CPU which Intel has completely ignored

AMD was targeting the lower end of the consumer spectrum which don't have a lot of budget for a full CPU and GPU combo

if a user where to go Intel with let say 500 dollars, he will only be using the Intel graphics which is terrible to play any games even at lowest settings

with the APU like the A10 or A8 series, you still be able to play games at 720P med resolutions at 30fps constant while the Intel system will struggle.

the main idea of AMD was basically creating a beast iGPU part of the CPU which Intel has completely ignored

AMD was targeting the lower end of the consumer spectrum which don't have a lot of budget for a full CPU and GPU combo

if a user where to go Intel with let say 500 dollars, he will only be using the Intel graphics which is terrible to play any games even at lowest settings

with the APU like the A10 or A8 series, you still be able to play games at 720P med resolutions at 30fps constant while the Intel system will struggle.

I know, and I guess it is good that they were recycling perfectly good CPUs... I just wish the Athlons could have been more powerful. I guess I'll just OC the hell out of my 5800K.

I know, and I guess it is good that they were recycling perfectly good CPUs... I just wish the Athlons could have been more powerful. I guess I'll just OC the hell out of my 5800K.

yea do that instead :)

good luck

PS: btw what is the picture which you are using as your profile pic?

yea do that instead :)

good luck

PS: btw what is the picture which you are using as your profile pic?

I collect pictures of fox lolis in my spare time.

Here.

post-77647-0-19510100-1402364468_thumb.j

I've got over 30MB of compressed pictures like these. I know it's creepy but I like them.

post-77647-0-19510100-1402364468_thumb.j

Here.

attachicon.gif7f9db0901f21a42398a0b2890365b9df.jpg

I've got over 30MB of compressed pictures like these. I know it's creepy but I like them.

original pictures i guess 

coz i thinking the pic was from Touhou 

Here.

tmi-anime-cartoon1.jpg

*secretly collects Rosalina pictures*

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Here.

attachicon.gif7f9db0901f21a42398a0b2890365b9df.jpg

Can I please put that quote in my signature...? Hahaha.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Can I please put that quote in my signature...? Hahaha.

Go right ahead. That's a good idea, actually.