Java and C++ Or Any Other C

piggykid1

So since it is summer and I have more time on my hands I want to actually learn and become good at a language.

So I have a few questions

1. I want to code a game were it is like surgeon simulator except in an office and then an other game were you start your own buisness. What language is best for that.

2. What is Java, C, C#, and C++ used for.

My knowledge of these languages, that I can think of right now, is Java for not to complex games, but games that are easy to modify ex. Minecraft C not so sure C# I think it is used for making things such as Operating Systems. C++ making very complex games like Call Of Duty and Battlefield.

How accurate am I on that?

Thanks!

you are thinking way ahead of yourself if you don't even know what C is. I'd actually learn the language first.

2. Java, C, C#, and C++ are objective oriented languages, C# is not as used as much as the latter 3. I forgot what it's really used for though..

you are thinking way ahead of yourself if you don't even know what C is. I'd actually learn the language first.

2. Java, C, C#, and C++ are objective oriented languages, C# is not as used as much as the latter 3. I forgot what it's really used for though...

O yea I know I'm ahead of myself that's is realistically many many years down the road once I have good skill at the language I need

I recommend trying Unity to start as a game maker,  it uses C#. 

You don't make the game using programming language, but using a Game developing engine (like Unity, for example)

This engines are made and can be modified, using a programming language, some of this are C, C++, C#, Java, etc. This are all high level languages which have their different pros and cons.

You are being inaccurate with what do you think the languages are used for, C is a very old language, successor to B. C++ is a different language which can be considered a C extended version. Java came in later, as a C /C++ derivative, with a couple of differences.

The main point, is that all these languages, are multi-purpose object oriented.

To understand programming, start learning a language, using C as an starting point is always good, but to develop games, you need an engine, Unity is a good start :) 

You don't make the game using programming language, but using a Game developing engine (like Unity, for example)

This engines are made and can be modified, using a programming language, some of this are C, C++, C#, Java, etc. This are all high level languages which have their different pros and cons.

You are being inaccurate with what do you think the languages are used for, C is a very old language, successor to B. C++ is a different language which can be considered a C extended version. Java came in later, as a C /C++ derivative, with a couple of differences.

To understand programming, start learning a language, using C as an starting point is always good, but to develop games, you need an engine, Unity is a good start :)

thank you very much that was helpful do you know of any free game engine instead of payed ones like unity and unreal engine

-snip-

Its good to be ambitious and I like that you want to plan ahead. Since you are just a beginner in Programming, I would suggest you to learn Python to understand how Object Oriented Programming works and learn how to create simple to fairly complex games using Pygame. Once you have enough experience, you can move on to C and then C++. Both of these languages can be used in conjunction with popular game development engines and environments such as Unreal/ IDTECH/ CRY etc.

Earlier version of UDK are free of cost for non commercial purpose. Secondly 3D modelling/ animation software Blender comes with its own version of Game Engine which completely free to use.

thank you very much that was helpful do you know of any free game engine instead of payed ones like unity and unreal engine

Unity 4.5 is free, you can download from their website.

Unity 4.5 is free, you can download from their website.

thank you man you are the bomb

Its good to be ambitious and I like that you want to plan ahead. Since you are just a beginner in Programming, I would suggest you to learn Python to understand how Object Oriented Programming works and learn how to create simple to fairly complex games using Pygame. Once you have enough experience, you can move on to C and then C++. Both of these languages can be used in conjunction with popular game development engines and environments such as Unreal/ IDTECH/ CRY etc.

Earlier version of UDK are free of cost for non commercial purpose. Secondly 3D modelling/ animation software Blender comes with its own version of Game Engine which completely free to use.

thank you so very much and hopefully the ambition helps me become and entrepreneur!

So I have a raspberry pi and I have edited some of the py games but I should create my own game to get a better understanding and understand object oriented programming and then I will head over to the more complex stuff

Thanks for the suggestions for what to use to make a game

And is it fine if I come to your for future help with programming related questions?

Thanks Again!

2. Java, C, C#, and C++ are objective oriented languages, C# is not as used as much as the latter 3

"object" oriented and C is certainly not OO. Also C# is used tons especially in web stuff and games, ever hear of XNA/monogame?

C is NOT a high-level language.  it is actually the most low level language in common use today (besides assembly which is never really used in common practical applcations),

C is NOT object-oriented.

C is the worst language to learn without a dedicated mentor.  it is incredibly easy to screw up the most simplest thing.  a beginner shouldn't be spending time doing memory management.  that is only important when you're working professionally and need to optimize your product.

Technically wrong, you can make basic games in console w/o engine. They're there to help you actual content and scripting mechanics.

C is an old language, I never touched it to be honest, and don't see a reason to do so.

C++ is Object-Oriented (look up OOP), fast, and used by most advanced engines.

Java is slightly slower but handles the parts of c++ that make it easily-crashable, and has its own garbage collector.

C# is made by Microsoft, and used in different engines that use Windows as platform, including Unity and XNA, and is a sort of competition to Java.

Both Java and C# are C++ offspring.

I am currently between 2nd year and placement on a Computer Games course at uni, and have been happily dropped straight into C++.

I had a chance to work in the other two, but once you learn the C++ exclusive features you'll miss them in the other two languages.

My recommendation would be that if you have absolutely no idea how games actually work take a simple 2D engine like SFML or whatever you see fit and develop few 'dummy' projects to get a grasp of basic game code structure and language conventions, whichever you choose to work with.

Once you more or less know how to structure the type of game you want to create, using an existing engine like mentioned Unity,  by gluing a few engine libraries together i.e. get a 3D rendering engine, slap a sound plugin and some physics on top of it or by creating it an engine from the ground up (near impossible for a 1 man project :)) start slowly developing your game. It is hard, and it is time consuming. My pro tip would be use pen and paper. It's a lot easier to code stuff when you have a sketch or some pseudo code next to you, and you can always look at it or add ideas on top of it whenever you want.

P.S. The more knowledge you get by doing random stuff, the easier it will be for you to wrap your head around your target project. Do some 3D modelling, some sound editing, try creating some basic 3D scene is pure OpenGL, just try stuff out so when it's time to import something into your engine you actually know what you're working with.

You can easily get your hands on a free, legal, full blown 3DS Max/Maya whatever Autodesk product through Student Community. Sure it's non-commercial, but among industry's top tools.

You can easily get your hands on a free, legal, full blown 3DS Max/Maya whatever Autodesk product through Student Community. Sure it's non-commercial, but among industry's top tools.

Not a student anymore T_T

Hello again do you have a few websites that you recommend for Python

Hello again do you have a few websites that you recommend for Python

Here's a list of resources for learning Python:

http://www.learnpython.org/

http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/

http://pythonmonk.com/

http://www.pygame.org/news.html

Pythonmonk is offline right now but they will be back soon.

thank you I was just seeing if you had more websites than the ultimate programming thread

I have done codecademy in the past to learn more for my raspberrypi and  I left off at 15%

thank you I was just seeing if you had more websites than the ultimate programming thread

I have done codecademy in the past to learn more for my raspberrypi and  I left off at 15%

I just buy the books and start from page 1... Python is fairly easy to learn :)

Codeacademy is good place to start for beginners ~ you should use it more often. ^_^

I just buy the books and start from page 1... Python is fairly easy to learn :)

Codeacademy is good place to start for beginners ~ you should use it more often. ^_^

ya now summer is here programming and doing things to make money from neighbors is main focus...ahhh summer :)

But you do know the details of your schools etc don't you? It's not like they send a letter to check :D

Just dont use codeacademy and start learning in a way you should .. buy a book, and do every example, try to understand why there are certain keywords, they all have purpose,

its not magicall word which is used when compiling code.  also, do something what is an OOP(java, c#, c++ ) .. much better understanding of code, much easier to code, much sorted code :)

Just dont use codeacademy and start learning in a way you should .. buy a book, and do every example, try to understand why there are certain keywords, they all have purpose,

its not magicall word which is used when compiling code.  also, do something what is an OOP(java, c#, c++ ) .. much better understanding of code, much easier to code, much sorted code :)

what's wrong with codecademy?

what's wrong with codecademy?

Hundred times i have replied for this questions, and just read the other part of my suggestion.  You can go to codeacademy but i can guarantee that without books or very good explanation tutorials you can do nothing with codeacademy.  Will it tech you how to configure libraries, write headers, or just multithreading, or printing graphics (actually dont know if it does or not)  basically you can understand how propably it works. But if someone just have a codeacademy i can guarantee he cannot make a good proper program optimized.  which for the time you would be stuck with codeacademy you would know when used a book.

However iam in work, and writing this just from my mouth without thinking, so i apologize if some of my thoughts are not legit or something.. I just did not have a usefull feeling from codeacademy