GTX 480 or Radeon 6750

nerb

My friend is offering me his GTX 480 and I'm wondering if it will be an upgrade or not. BTW I'm running two displays.

Corsair 350d, Intel 3570k @ 4.2 ghz, H100i, Caviar blue 500gb, Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung EVO 850 Pro 256GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 ACX 3.0, Corsair Vengeance 8gb,AX760i

2013 Macbook Pro 15-inch 

480 definitely. Blows the 6750 out of the water

Yeah no question the 480 destroys the 6750. The 480 was top tier 2 generations ago and the 6750 is last generations entry level gaming card. I think the 480 would be some where between the 6870 and 6950.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

The GTX 480 is definitely stronger. Just make sure you have the PSU to back it up, they are power hungry.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

To add on Moose, have a case that can provide enough airflow for the card as it also runs hot.

Kudos to MooseParade for taking power consumption into consideration, he's right I would go so far as to say that they Gtx480 uses about 2-3X more power than your HD6750

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

You guys are mean, why would you let encourage someone to set their house on fire?

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Thanks RainColt, the Fermi cards were not only power hungry, they ran very hot. They are still very good cards and if you get the GTX 480 you will see the performance increase but you'll notice your other components running warmer and your CPU temps might even rise if you don't have ample case cooling. Performance comes at a cost.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Thanks RainColt, the Fermi cards were not only power hungry, they ran very hot. They are still very good cards and if you get the GTX 480 you will see the performance increase but you'll notice your other components running warmer and your CPU temps might even rise if you don't have ample case cooling. Performance comes at a cost.
Do you think my 730 watt PSU can handle it? I have an AMD fx 4100 btw

Corsair 350d, Intel 3570k @ 4.2 ghz, H100i, Caviar blue 500gb, Caviar Blue 1TB, Samsung EVO 850 Pro 256GB, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 ACX 3.0, Corsair Vengeance 8gb,AX760i

2013 Macbook Pro 15-inch 

Easily! :)

You guys are mean, why would you let encourage someone to set their house on fire?
I own one, it's a little loud, but the heat is not much of an issue.

You can't say "Easily" unless you know what brand and the ratings of the PSU. A no name or junk PSU, no matter what the sticker says its wattage is, has the potential to short out your components and destroy the very components it's meant to keep running. The lower level Coolermaster and Rosewill PSU's are prime examples of this. While the brand name is well known, they are also known for shorting out and frying components when under load. The higher level Rosewill PSU's are very good but are also made by Super Flower.

It's a raidmaxx....

2013 Macbook Pro 15-inch 

yeah get the GTX 480 and if you dont have a PSU that can run the card then buy one you will see a giant improvement over a 6750

Raidmax falls into that same category as coolermaster and the lower end rosewills. Raidmax makes decent cases, especially if you like the flashy LED's and side windows, but their PSU's are very low end. I obviously can't tell you what to do, but I would not trust a card that is as power hungry as the GTX 480 to a "throw away" PSU.

And by throw away I mean the PSU came with the case that you really wanted and you kept the case and threw away the PSU and replaced it with a quality PSU.

Quality PSU brands / manufacturers: Corsair (CX & HX), Antec, PC&P, Super Flower, Silverstone, FSP, High end Rosewill (Capstone and above) and High end OCZ's (if I happened to forget a manufacturer or brand please feel free to fill it in)