Episode 3 - Handy Tech Under $100

When the ports are located like this you won't be able to use half of them with regular right angled cables.

asus_sata.jpg

That point ahs already been made. If you want to stuff into all the SATA conectors, then yes, i understand the need of these. But if you just have your 2-3 drives, you can also just use the next connector. :D

who cares...

I couldn't find them on Caseking, Alternate or Mindfactory :/

I don't know the big shops in Germany, sorry.

Do you have something like Pricerunner, then that might be able to show you where you can get them.

Loved the full disclosure, stating what was bought vs. what was given!

It gives a better picture of what Linus and co. actually think's worth their own hard-earned money.

That point has already been made. If you want to stuff into all the SATA conectors, then yes, i understand the need of these. But if you just have your 2-3 drives, you can also just use the next connector. :D

I completely agree with you. It's only if you need to utilize all the SATA ports on the motherboard the SilverStone cables comes in handy. As you're saying if you only need 2-3 drives then there's no need to get them, they're not exactly cheap.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

We're just clusters of atoms. Atom is just a word.

Everything is a word, a part from bird, bird is thee word.

Great show hope to see more of these handy tech ones.

@LinusTech I'm pretty unimpressed by the tech shown off so far. I imagine most viewers are interested, but surely this could become a more regular thing with more varied content and just generally more content. If there isn't a thread on this already, you could start an official one to get ideas just like the techquickie suggestions thread.

@LinusTech the reason those comply eartips don't work for you with the IE80s might be that you were using the wrong ones. Look up their site for compatibility listings and such. I think only the 500 ones work on those.

But anyway, I prefer Shure's black foam tips over Comply's; they're as soft, more durable, and cheaper. Unfortunately, they're only the size of Comply's 100 tips, so they're only compatible with the same earphones as those, like Klipsch, Westones, some from Etymotic, Shure (duh), and some others.

Interesting to see a review on ear tips, but I doubt I'll be going back to anything that uses those again.

I had a pair of Shure SE115's and while the sounded nice I could never use them for a long time because the hard ear tips didn't really fit and the foam ones, when they expanded caused me to hear/feel the blood pulsing through my ear.  Leaving them only partway in would cause them to fall out after a few minutes. Left ear is dead now, so they have been stored away, I wish the warranty had been longer. 

I'd like to mention while the silver stone cables are cool, they do have a tendency to stop working on their own, and are very delicate. Plan accordingly, don't include them in client builds. I'n most cases regular right angle cables will do the trick, and are available in both orientations. I do believe they have the same height clearance as well. 

Given you get the right cables. 

the one place where I do recommend the silverstone cables is for drives- if you have to cram a drive in a small place. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Comply earbuds are really good! Since they're foam, they don't hurt my ears in any way. But the ones I got seemed sticky (eargasm?)

Do they have the sata cables in different colors like black?

I think they do, like this one here

COMPUTER - Enermax Ostrog Gt | Asus M5A99FX R2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 4GB | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Blue 1TB

NAS - NZXT H440 | Asus H97 Plus | Intel Pentium G3258 | Stock Intel Fan | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | MyDigitalSSD M.2 64GB | 4x 2TB WD Red

LAPTOP - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 | Intel i5 | 128GB SSD + 64GB MicroSD | 4GB Ram :)

Please make more of these videos and make this a regular series! as the tech market is all that interesting atm these videos are fun to watch cool gadgets that i most likely end up buying! cheers

i thought that is what the wan show was for.... whoops

Those Silverstone cables are 89 euro each on German Amazon, so the cable could be more expensive than the SSD you are trying to connect to the motherboard :/

I couldn't find them on Caseking, Alternate or Mindfactory :/

Found them in Germany, for like 14 € 

http://ebay.eu/1qo5L6y

Found them in Germany, for like 14 € 

http://ebay.eu/1qo5L6y

Ah thanks. It is a shame that they are blue, although I can't imagine it would be hard to make them black.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Much shorter than usuall, also i didnt know there were people who didnt know there are such things as magnetic trays...

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Silverstone CP11 SATA Cable. $9.99 in the US but in the UK................. Wait for it............. £61.99 thats $105 USD!!!!

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Silverstone CP11 SATA Cable. $9.99 in the US but in the UK................. Wait for it............. £61.99 thats $105 USD!!!!

what the actual fuck

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm no Brit so I wouldn't know where you shop for tech stuff, the first website that pops into my head is eBay.co.uk, price isn't that bad if you ask me.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

• 3 weeks later...

These sata cables are actually really cool and slim. Do you think they could make them for 6 pin for my gpu??  :P

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten