Am I getting the most out of my routers?

LuukvanA

Hello there!

I don't know if anyone can figure this out but I was wondering if my setup is reaching the max of it's capable of doing?

I live on the 2nd floor in the house and the main router is downstairs, my pc is connected to a router that is set as a repeater, my pc is the only device that is using the signal from that router.

Both routers are TP-Link TL-WR1043D's. 

When I changed the settings a little, such as setting the bandwith from 20mHz to 40mHz and Mixed to NG-signal, my internet got almost 4 times the speed it had before changing the settings.

2707335923.png

(My speeds now)

post-5335-0-15784100-1368542660.png

A beautiful paint drawing representing my setup

Notes:

-By setting the signal to N-only the router both stop working correctly so that's not an option

-The Channel at this bandwith is 4 and that is somehow impossible to change

-The routers don't support  5Ghz

So basically the question is: are these speeds reasonable with this setup or can I increase my speeds by changing something else (like a setting).

Thanks in advance, Luuk 

post-5335-0-15784100-1368542660.png

|| CPU: Core i7 3770k @ 4.6gHz || RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mHz || GPU: nVidia GTX 670 ||

With what your getting i would be very happy with that speed :) 

If they both would operate at N speeds the max you can get is 4.5 MBps. With G the max is 2.2 MBps.

Wouldnt it be better to get a pci-e wi-fi card instead and eliminate the problems with connecting 2 routers together ?

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

If they both would operate at N speeds the max you can get is 4.5 MBps. With G the max is 2.2 MBps.

Wouldnt it be better to get a pci-e wi-fi card instead and eliminate the problems with connecting 2 routers together ?

I have had 4.5 MBps on times when no other devices were connected wirelessly, so i guess I can say that the setup is fine.

The reason for the router setup like this is that I had it act as a repeater for my phone, now i have an iPhone which is able to pick up the signals from downstairs so it wasn't nessecary anymore.

And when I decided to buy another router that was the best option anyways since my little brother had a no-wifi X-box 360 in his room on the same floor.

|| CPU: Core i7 3770k @ 4.6gHz || RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mHz || GPU: nVidia GTX 670 ||

I have had 4.5 MBps on times when no other devices were connected wirelessly, so i guess I can say that the setup is fine.

The reason for the router setup like this is that I had it act as a repeater for my phone, now i have an iPhone which is able to pick up the signals from downstairs so it wasn't nessecary anymore.

And when I decided to buy another router that was the best option anyways since my little brother had a no-wifi X-box 360 in his room on the same floor.

Luuk,

I have the same router in my bedroom acting as an Access Point (AP). The router that I used as my main router is the Linksys E3000 which I recently replaced by the Asus RT-N66U, holy mother of god that thing is just amazing. If I am at my bedroom the Asus router outperforms my AP on the wireless 2,4 GHz band.

So I'm not really excited about the TP-LINK.

Groeten uit Brabant!

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Luuk,

I have the same router in my bedroom acting as an Access Point (AP). The router that I used as my main router is the Linksys E3000 which I recently replaced by the Asus RT-N66U, holy mother of god that thing is just amazing. If I am at my bedroom the Asus router outperforms my AP on the wireless 2,4 GHz band.

So I'm not really excited about the TP-LINK.

Groeten uit Brabant!

So if I recall correctly you replaced the main router to the asus one and now don't use the tp-link anymore? What were your speeds before and after? 

Groeten terug kerel!

So if I recall correctly you replaced the main router to the asus one and now don't use the tp-link anymore? What were your speeds before and after? 

Groeten terug kerel!

My speeds before would never come higher than 40 Mbps if I recall correctly. Now with the Asus RT-N66U and a Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (heb ik gekocht voor €30 bij Alternate) in my laptop I get speeds from about 70-105 Mbps on the 5 GHz band.

Ik raad je aan om de video op YouTube te kijken van deze router van Hardware.info TV! Je zult verstelt staan!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

My speeds before would never come higher than 40 Mbps if I recall correctly. Now with the Asus RT-N66U and a Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (heb ik gekocht voor €30 bij Alternate) in my laptop I get speeds from about 70-105 Mbps on the 5 GHz band.

Ik raad je aan om de video op YouTube te kijken van deze router van Hardware.info TV! Je zult verstelt staan!

Yeah, one problem, we have like 15-20 devices run off the main router, almost all of them don't accept 5gHz, one more question, if you are using your laptop, how much space is there between the laptop and the router, and how many walls are in between? because for what I've heard of 5gHz is that it works better if the devices are closer to the router because it's a higher frequence.

Ik zal ook ff kijken op youtube voor die router!

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, one problem, we have like 15-20 devices run off the main router, almost all of them don't accept 5gHz, one more question, if you are using your laptop, how much space is there between the laptop and the router, and how many walls are in between? because for what I've heard of 5gHz is that it works better if the devices are closer to the router because it's a higher frequence.

Ik zal ook ff kijken op youtube voor die router!

Thanks for the help!

Lees dit maar eens: "Wat betreft snelheid, waar het in deze test toch eigenlijk om draait, kent de ASUS RT-N66U zijn gelijke niet. Gemiddelde snelheden van boven de 200 Mbps hebben we nog niet eerder gezien. Daar komt nog eens bij dat de RT-N66U heel erg veel mogelijkheden biedt, al laat de IPv6-ondersteuning vooralsnog zeer veel te wensen over. Dat laatste nemen we vooralsnog niet mee in onze beoordeling, maar het is wel iets waar we in de komende tijd steeds beter op gaan letten. Een Hardware.Info Gold Award reiken we echter zonder reservering uit."

Op deze link: http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2650/22/14-450mbps-routers-vergelijkingstest-de-snelste-routers-van-het-moment-conclusie kun je het allemaal nog een keer nalezen, met ongeveer alle tests komt Asus' router bovenaan uit de test.

Between my router and my laptop are at the moment of peak something like four walls including two outside walls (buitenmuren), the main advantance of the router are the external antenna's and the simultaneous dual band. If you connect all of your 5 GHz enabled devices to that band, the 2,4 GHz band will also function better than if you don't. Also something I might consider in the future is buy a second RT-N66U and set that up as AP so that if I get a new laptop/ultrabook I can use my complete ISP contract (120Mbps bij Ziggo). 

Lees dit maar eens: "Wat betreft snelheid, waar het in deze test toch eigenlijk om draait, kent de ASUS RT-N66U zijn gelijke niet. Gemiddelde snelheden van boven de 200 Mbps hebben we nog niet eerder gezien. Daar komt nog eens bij dat de RT-N66U heel erg veel mogelijkheden biedt, al laat de IPv6-ondersteuning vooralsnog zeer veel te wensen over. Dat laatste nemen we vooralsnog niet mee in onze beoordeling, maar het is wel iets waar we in de komende tijd steeds beter op gaan letten. Een Hardware.Info Gold Award reiken we echter zonder reservering uit."

Op deze link: http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2650/22/14-450mbps-routers-vergelijkingstest-de-snelste-routers-van-het-moment-conclusie kun je het allemaal nog een keer nalezen, met ongeveer alle tests komt Asus' router bovenaan uit de test.

Between my router and my laptop are at the moment of peak something like four walls including two outside walls (buitenmuren), the main advantance of the router are the external antenna's and the simultaneous dual band. If you connect all of your 5 GHz enabled devices to that band, the 2,4 GHz band will also function better than if you don't. Also something I might consider in the future is buy a second RT-N66U and set that up as AP so that if I get a new laptop/ultrabook I can use my complete ISP contract (120Mbps bij Ziggo). 

I think I will wait a year or 2 before investing another +/- $100 in a wireless setup since i've been using this for only a month now and we have a 60 Mbps subscribtion at ziggo.

You're lucky, Ziggo is upgrading the 120Mbps to 150Mbps soon!

I think I will wait a year or 2 before investing another +/- $100 in a wireless setup since i've been using this for only a month now and we have a 60 Mbps subscribtion at ziggo.

You're lucky, Ziggo is upgrading the 120Mbps to 150Mbps soon!

Maybe Asus will have an even better router at that time! And hell yeah I will upgrade to 150 right away then!

At this speed I'm already downloading at 14,5 MB/s which then will be something 17 MB/s in my best luck!

Really excited!

Maybe Asus will have an even better router at that time! And hell yeah I will upgrade to 150 right away then!

At this speed I'm already downloading at 14,5 MB/s which then will be something 17 MB/s in my best luck!

Really excited!

Verhoging internetsnelheden

De snelheidsverhoging vindt stapsgewijs plaats. Vanaf 1 juli zullen de eerste nieuwe snelheden gerealiseerd zijn.

post-5335-0-68134400-1368560027.png

There you go!