[Completed] Project N64 PC: A Kaveri HTPC inside a Nintendo 64

SageC

Congrats on the awesome work man

Awesome work, bravo!

Congrats on the awesome work man

Thanks, guys!

N64 HTPC: [Completed]

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Awesome! Congrats :P

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

Update #5 - 8/5/2014 - Final Update:

Okay everybody, It's time for the final update on this thing. I've had it done for a couple weeks and I've been using it as my main computer for that time because my main rig has been dismantled for reasons that will become apparent soon.. But that means I have some opinions on how the FM2+ platform performs but I will save the blabbering till the end and for now some pictures as a final product!

dtTJnGfl.jpg

623zgI4l.jpg

uuFESdfl.jpg

xHVvNbHl.jpg

That 16 year old LED still chugging along!

LhXOdeul.jpg

PXokxbFl.jpg

AmBhQCUl.jpg

FdlLWcnl.jpg

YKjINTWl.jpg

Mt27p32l.jpg

HHlhWstl.jpg

zARAeUal.jpg

So, there it is, two months of work and we've made it to this point! As my first mod project, this has been fun and educating experience, I learned things, mainly that paint is a pain in the ass. But it's definitely been fun and if I were to do it again I don't think I would have done much different, I mean there things that didn't go as planned but I don't think I could have avoided those things without changing the end goal of the project.

But enough about that, how does this thing perform? Well as a CPU it's pretty decent, I'm coming from a mildly overclocked i7-4770K, and yes in comparison it feels like a $200 chip. I didn't really do anything intensive with it and for the most part it never got bogged done the experience was smooth and felt good but I did do all the Photoshop for the Rainmeter skin on this thing and although, far the most part, it was able to do everything I wanted it to, I was able to tell the decline in performance.

As a GPU, performance was as expected. In terms of emulation performance was great both N64 games and GameCube games performed great with very little to no lag. And although I haven't gotten a chance to test out game stream, as this has been my most powerful PC since my main one is disassembled, but I imagine it to run great considering it doesn't really take much on the end of the receiving PC.

Temps are where things get weird, the cooler was able to cool the processor adequately for most things. Idle and non GPU intensive stuff was good with temps any where from 45c-55c, running a N64 emulator temps didn't get any higher than 60c, Gamecube emulators got it up to about 75c. But Twitch, oh my goodness, Twitch for some reason makes this thing into a furnace. Watching high quality streams, even past broadcasts, easily make this thing go straight to 80c-85c. I don't know why, I don't know how, but its been a fun couple of weeks anxiously waiting for the WAN show archive to go up on YouTube..

I guess I should also comment on the experience of having what looks like an N64 but is able to do so much more, and I have to say it's pretty awesome. Like I've said I haven't been using it as intended, as HTPC, but instead as my main PC so I'm sure the experience will feel more genuine once I get to hook this thing up to the big screen TV and sit back on a couch, playing whatever I want. But I was able to sit back and play a game of Mario Party 3 with my dad and besides Waluigi being an evil piece of garbage it was pretty cool to sit back and play on what felt like an original N64 but with a quick alt-tab able to do whatever I could on a desktop PC.

So I guess that's it, thanks for all the feedback and I'll be back with a new project soon!

*Actually as a side note I was going to include benchmarks from a modern game like Bioshock infinite but it seems I'm only getting a third of the performance in comparison to other benchmarks on this thing. My only ideas why at this point would be the Bioshock Infinite benchmark utility is malfunctioning, the processor is thermal throttling, or that it's because I'm not running dual channel RAM. I don't really care because I don't have the storage space to download more than two modern games at a time so even if this thing performed properly I'd still probably have to use game stream.* 

Main PC: i7 4770k @ 4.2 Ghz | Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Formula | G Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | Zotac GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Seagate 1TB Hybrid | Samsung 840 EVO 128GB | Corsair 1200i | Thermaltake Core P5

Update #5 - 8/5/2014 - Final Update:

Looks amazing.

I feel inspired.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Very cool!

Looks amazing.

I feel inspired.

Thanks!

I also forgot to add some GIFs to show of the Power button and LED, so here they are.

lSPwzC4.gif

g4slTh4.gif

Looking at this makes me wonder how it would look in one of the clear n64's

dude this is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like it, makes me want to plan a new project :3

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

EXCELLENT

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

imagine your clueless friends who come over to see a old console

but the moment you fire it up and it boots to Windows or SteamOS

i will love to see the looks on their faces

Old school retro console with a twist

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

dude this is awesome!!! excellent job!

15/10 

Project "Gene5is" | Asus Maximus VI Formula | i7 4790k | 2 x GTX 780 Ti Classified in SLI | 16Gb. Corsair Dominator Platinum @1866Mhz. | 512GB. Samsung 850 PRO | 2 x 2Tb. WD Caviar Black | Corsair AX1200 | Asus Xonar Essence STX | KRK Rokit 6 Gen 3 + KRK K10S Sub | Logitech G 710+ |

Logitech G500s | Caselabs Magnum SMA8 | Corsair 200MM Extended 

"Roamer" MSI GT 72 | Intel Core i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M 8Gb. | 128Gb. M2 SSD | 16Gb. 1600Mhz. | 1Tb. HDD

Awesome =) I really like it!

dude this is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like it, makes me want to plan a new project :3

EXCELLENT

dude this is awesome!!! excellent job!

15/10 

Thanks!

Looking at this makes me wonder how it would look in one of the clear n64's

I own a green one, that'd definitely be sweet! But you would have to polish it or something after sanding out the inside, because the plastic would just be all cloudy otherwise,

imagine your clueless friends who come over to see a old console

but the moment you fire it up and it boots to Windows or SteamOS

i will love to see the looks on their faces

Old school retro console with a twist

It's definitely a conversation starter!

Love your work and all the modding, that was really great!

But if the N64 is not the ugliest thing I have ever seen, then I don't know what is. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

• 3 years later...

W H Y W O U L D Y O U P A I N T I T, J U S T B U Y A D I F F E R E N T S H E L L

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker