StealthRay 1.0 -- a silent build in a custom case.

ManWithBeard1990
  • 3 weeks later...

Bad news guys. I think I may have killed the APU. I'll check tomorrow if it can still run at stock speeds. Doubt it though :(. My own fault for trying to shove 1.45 volts through it trying to get to 4.3 GHz. I hate myself so much right now.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Bad news guys. I think I may have killed the APU. I'll check tomorrow if it can still run at stock speeds. Doubt it though :(. My own fault for trying to shove 1.45 volts through it trying to get to 4.3 GHz. I hate myself so much right now.

gg no re

Reset everything to default, and it was stable. Also stable at 4 GHz at stock voltage so far. I think it could still be a RAM issue.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Running stable @ 4.4 GHz and 1.4V which is not an excessive amount of voltage for an AMD chip. Clearly a RAM issue, then. It was either unable to run at 2133 even though it's rated for 2400 (which it flat out refused to do as well) or some of the timings were wrong. More investigation will be needed but it might eventually end up in an RMA I'm afraid.

Damn. :/ It was too young to die :(

It's not dead. I'm just not quite sure what's wrong with it.

We have the same background, the pillars of creation.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

We have the same background, the pillars of creation.

Indeed a beautiful picture.

• 1 month later...

what was the rationale for putting the PSU at the top? Just curious as to why you chose that route

it sucks air out of the case instead of the room 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

it sucks air out of the case instead of the room 

the comment that you answered were written in June.

True. Meanwhile, now that I'm here anyway, maybe I should say I finally got around to installing the magnetic door catches. Until like 3 hours ago, the doors were held shut by a rubber band.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

UPDATE:

It's been quite some time since I built this pc and generally I'm happy with the performance it's giving me. The PSU was quite loud though so I wanted to change it.

There are some sides of it that haven't been seen before so I devided to take some pics.

post-84472-0-20017400-1428146685_thumb.j

I kind of regret making the side panels hinge, but not removeable. Also lining it with felt will still happen but it's a WIP.

post-84472-0-66567300-1428146841_thumb.j

Ready for PSU extraction

post-84472-0-54204500-1428146926_thumb.j

Individually braided extensions are pretty but cable managing them is a nightmare. There's ample cable management room, which is needed because the magnetic catches aren't suitable for squishing the wires together.

post-84472-0-75658000-1428147067_thumb.j

But in the end it's all worth it.

post-84472-0-36985400-1428147155_thumb.j

post-84472-0-93898600-1428147186_thumb.j

are you using silverstone extentions? They look pretty nice.

They're from Bitfenix. The Silverstone ones weren't available where I am but I heard they were similar. It's a nice paracord-like braid.

I also decided with the new PSU, and an HDMI to VGA adapter which allows me to change bus speed (Can't do that when a monitor is connected directly to VGA) to try again for a balls-to-the-walls OC. Before, it was running stable at 4200 MHz core, 2000MHz NB, 2133MHz RAM and 960MHz GPU. Now though, with a BIOS update and new PSU I've been able to get 4366MHz core, 2496MHz RAM, 2080MHz NB and 996MHz GPU out of it. Suffice it to say I'm fairly happy with that.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks awesome!

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland