I have never bought a notebook before and I'm having some trouble! I've only ever had my desktop PC's that I've made myself and because of that I'm having trouble buying a premade machine that meets my expectations.

I started this search because I need a notebook for work. So originally I set out with a price range of ~$2,000 and was looking in the "Ultrabook" ranges namely at the X1 Carbon Thinkpad. Which with these EOFY sales I can get the top or the range model + Office for within my price range. But then the enthusiast inside me awoke and I found myself looking at performance grade notebooks and it's all been down hill from there.

I currently am drooling over the new Razer Blade with 3K display and a 870M. But it only sports a 128GB SSD and it's $1,300 out of my price range but realistically I would want a model with a bigger SSD so even more out of it. Where as the X1 Carbon is well within my price range with a 512GB SSD + Longer battery life (not to mention super fast charging) but lacks the power of The New Razer. But do I really need that extra power for a work notebook? Obviously no but as a gamer I can't help but feel that it would be nice to have.. But is that worth upping my budget that much just for that bonus?

The New Razer Blade seems like my only option for a sleek gaming notebook that still has a decent (for a gaming notebook) battery life.

Anyone have any input?

tl;dr: I need a work notebook but I'm really tempted by a more powerful but way out of my budget notebook and wan't to have a discussion about it with other like minded people to see if I should bother.

I realise this is needlessly long, but I'm terrible with decision making and want to get my thought process out there.

Thanks for any input!

I have always felt that way as well. In fact unless you actually needed one I've always thought notebooks in general were pointless but only for the people that buy them to use primarily at home on a desk.

If I'm honest with myself I only really need a notebook that can run Notepad++ with a screen & resolution that can fit multiple windows of large amounts of code so I can view it without having to constantly scroll down. So basically a calculator with a high resolution would cut it haha.

But every time I look at that Blade I try to convince myself I need it just because I would really like to have a portable system I could take with me to the misses house or wherever I needed it without having to hire a truck to fit my Corsair 800D based system in.

The thought of buying something I actually need and putting the savings towards a desktop upgrade is nice though..

Thanks Name Taken for your input haha.

You have a desktop for gaming.

Get something with long battery life and sufficient performance for MS Office, browsing, and whatever applications you NEED to run (i.e., something like a MacBook Air).

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I suppose you guys are right. I guess really it comes down to I don't "NEED" a amazing notebook like the Razer Blade.. But that's not so fun haha.

I guess it really comes down to disposable income if you have tons of money why not get the Razer but if you can't really afford to drop thousands of dollars on something you technically already have, why do it.

But still I really want it! Haha.

You have a desktop for gaming.

Get something with long battery life and sufficient performance for MS Office, browsing, and whatever applications you NEED to run (i.e., something like a MacBook Air).

Gotta agree here, well performing with good battery life gaming notebooks, are loud, chunky and ugly. Why not keep the gaming desktop for gaming, and grab an ultrabook for webrowsing and word processing. A 13" MacBook Air will run you about $950 

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MD760LL/B&step=config

I'm assuming you live in the USA.

depends on what you need and budget.. if you wont use it for gaming, why bother to spend more.. there are a quite a bunch laptop with cool design like asus.

I suppose you guys are right. I guess really it comes down to I don't "NEED" a amazing notebook like the Razer Blade.. But that's not so fun haha.

I guess it really comes down to disposable income if you have tons of money why not get the Razer but if you can't really afford to drop thousands of dollars on something you technically already have, why do it.

But still I really want it! Haha.

if you want a thin 3k gaming laptop, the msi gs60 ghost pro is a better option.

Gotta agree here, well performing with good battery life gaming notebooks, are loud, chunky and ugly. Why not keep the gaming desktop for gaming, and grab an ultrabook for webrowsing and word processing. A 13" MacBook Air will run you about $950 

http://store.apple.com/us-hed/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MD760LL/B&step=config

I'm assuming you live in the USA.

But that is exactly why I'm so excited about the Razer Blade, It's none of those things. It's quiet, sleek and sexy with decent battery life to top it off. I'm not a huge fan of Apple's OS so I wouldn't want to buy an Mac just to later have to buy a windows key to replace it so I generally avoid apple. Unless they release something as mind boggling. I'm also adamant that I wan't a higher than 1080p display, after using a 2560x1600 display you can just fit so much text in there (if you have good eyes!) and that makes my life easier.

I'm from New Zealand hence the Kiwi! Haha, but currently residing in your 'STRAYA.

Cheers mate.

depends on what you need and budget.. if you wont use it for gaming, why bother to spend more.. there are a quite a bunch laptop with cool design like asus.

It's not that I wouldn't be using it for gaming, obviously I would use my desktop over it. It's more that it enables me to use it for gaming so if I go somewhere I can't take my PC for an extended period of time I'd still be able to get my game on. Which is something I often have to do.

if you want a thin 3k gaming laptop, the msi gs60 ghost pro is a better option.

I did look at the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro, very promising notebook but I couldn't seem to find it for sale in Australia only it's 1080p predecessor. Also while doing a bit of research on MSI notebooks because I hadn't heard much about them I found quite a few people complaining about bezel cracking from the factory and other build quality issues but to be fair many people were arguing that there quality was excellent.

I'll definitely keep my eye on the Ghost Pro as an option though it does appear to have a lot more bang for your buck. Minus the fact it's battery life isn't quite as good which is a fairly important feature to me.

Thanks guys.

But that is exactly why I'm so excited about the Razer Blade, It's none of those things. It's quiet, sleek and sexy with decent battery life to top it off. I'm not a huge fan of Apple's OS so I wouldn't want to buy an Mac just to later have to buy a windows key to replace it so I generally avoid apple. Unless they release something as mind boggling. I'm also adamant that I wan't a higher than 1080p display, after using a 2560x1600 display you can just fit so much text in there (if you have good eyes!) and that makes my life easier.

I'm from New Zealand hence the Kiwi! Haha, but currently residing in your 'STRAYA.

Cheers mate.

Thanks guys.

I love kiwi land. Queenstown is probably my favourite place on earth.