[TPU] SilverStone Tundra TD04 "Pump-less" Liquid CPU Cooler

Accursed Entity

From TechPowerUp article: "SilverStone Shows off Tundra TD04 "Pump-less" Liquid CPU Cooler"

Among the swarm of all-in-one liquid CPU cooling solutions SilverStone, the one that stood out is its Tundra TD04. It's what the company claims is a "pump-less" liquid CPU cooler. It features a high-performance CPU water block that looks more like the DIY blocks you'd find in expensive liquid cooling setups; plumbed directly to the 240 x 120 mm radiator+reservoir assembly. We're not quite sure how circulation happens, or whether it's convectional of some sort. SilverStone claims the cooler can handle thermal loads of up to 200W.

Image:

98a.jpg

Ok, this got my curiosity, I had to share it with you guys. I wonder how exactly will this work, I'm not an expert in this area so forgive me if there's a simple answer to that. I guess the heat will drive the circulation somehow? This have been done before? Please share your opinion and/or your insight of how this might work.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

so it kinda works like a traditional heat sink with heat pipes where the heat makes the liquid in the pipes rise up to the top where the fans will be cooling the fins?

I don't know how that would work with so much more liquid in the tubes compared to a heat pipe but i guess if there selling it its gotta work :S

so it kinda works like a traditional heat sink with heat pipes where the heat makes the liquid in the pipes rise up to the top where the fans will be cooling the fins?

I don't know how that would work with so much more liquid in the tubes compared to a heat pipe but i guess if there selling it its gotta work :S

Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm intrigued... I'd love to see how it performs in real-world usage. 

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

I really don't think convection would be sufficient to drive the liquid through the system. Wouldn't the coolant also have to be able to contain far higher temperatures than they would be able to in a standard AIO, considering the predictably low flow-rate?

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

It work like this:

Cpu heats the water in the block, this means that the density of the water in the block is lower than the density of the water in the res and pipes. So the denser cold water drops down while the less dense hotter water rises up. This causes circulation in the system, this effect is called the thermosiphon effect (passave heat exchange based on natural convection). This works similarly to a solar collector and geyser.

220px-Thermosiphon2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon

Silverstone had something like this at last years Computex. It works by using a liquid that has a low boiling point, the liquid vaporizes when it touches the CPU waterblock and travels upwards as a gas, when it hits the radiator, the gas condenses back into a liquid and flows down the tube, starting the cycle again. No pump needed since the system circulates based on the phase change of the substance.

Here is the video Slick made on the liquid cooler: http://youtu.be/Wsf_oD-3nBY?t=5m40s

Silverstone had something like this at last years Computex. It works by using a liquid that has a low boiling point, the liquid vaporizes when it touches the CPU waterblock and travels upwards as a gas, when it hits the radiator, the gas condenses back into a liquid and flows down the tube, starting the cycle again.

SO it's essentially a big fancy heat pipe

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

thats awesome cant wait to see some performance numbers out 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I like all in ones but the pump in most of them seem to be load, if this preforms well it will be a winner in my books

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Silverstone had something like this at last years Computex. It works by using a liquid that has a low boiling point, the liquid vaporizes when it touches the CPU waterblock and travels upwards as a gas, when it hits the radiator, the gas condenses back into a liquid and flows down the tube, starting the cycle again. No pump needed since the system circulates based on the phase change of the substance.

Here is the video Slick made on the liquid cooler: http://youtu.be/Wsf_oD-3nBY?t=5m40s

It work like this:

Cpu heats the water in the block, this means that the density of the water in the block is lower than the density of the water in the res and pipes. So the denser cold water drops down while the less dense hotter water rises up. This causes circulation in the system, this effect is called the thermosiphon effect (passave heat exchange based on natural convection). This works similarly to a solar collector and geyser.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon

That's awesome, thanks for the info guys, can't wait to see some benchmarks with it. 

So, 200W? It couldn't handle the highest end GPUs, but you could theoretically use a few of these to make a good properly silent PC. Not sure why you would want to, but whatever.

This isn't very new, i remember seeing this a couple of months ago, but it was then just some "look at me!" thing. Never heard something from it again, until now :D

(can't remember where i saw it)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

So, 200W? It couldn't handle the highest end GPUs, but you could theoretically use a few of these to make a good properly silent PC. Not sure why you would want to, but whatever.

You'd still need fans on the Rad.

I don't see the point in this really. If you're buying an AIO where the pump is either too loud or fails a lot, you're buying the wrong AIO

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

You'd still need fans on the Rad.

I don't see the point in this really. If you're buying an AIO where the pump is either too loud or fails a lot, you're buying the wrong AIO

Well, maybe the point is not just the silence, a pump can fail(I know is not that common) but this won't have a pump so technically more durability? I may be talking nonsense thou... feel free to correct me. 

Well, maybe the point is not just the silence, a pump can fail(I know is not that common) but this won't have a pump so technically more durability? I may be talking nonsense thou... feel free to correct me.

This. Fans are easy to replace.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB