For people who dislike the sniper button on the G502

maxvons

Back then with the original mice that had it like the G5 it was a marketing gimmick but then people got used to its being a "feature" since more and more companies started including it. Like I said it does make sense if the mouse is already light as some people do like a heavier mouse. However when the mouse is already considered heavy its a useless "feature".

Well yeah, but then again there are people that do prefer an heavy mouse.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

No shit :P But it was the feeling of the button pressing against the tip of my thumb 24/7 that made me mad, so I removed it.

You could have just shaved it down with a sanding belt or something instead probably.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

You could have just shaved it down with a sanding belt or something instead probably.

It's hard to get at. 

I am contemplating what to do with mine. I was originally thinking a good solution would be to remove the button and then cover it with either rubber and some craft polyweld or skateboard tape flush up to the existing rubber. 

The gamer in me wants to try the skateboard tape just to see if it really does translate to better grip/articulation. 

Huh, I tried this mouse once and found the sniper button to be extremely annoying, I feel like If I would have went with it I may have done something similar lol.

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

Huh, I tried this mouse once and found the sniper button to be extremely annoying, I feel like If I would have went with it I may have done something similar lol.

its not really designed for the types of grips where the thumb ends up right on top of it. the rest of the ergo doesnt fit that either though.

• 2 months later...

Just an FYI: I removed the sniper button from the inside after taking apart the mouse completely. The only problem with this method, while it is a much cleaner look apart from the gaping hole, you end up losing functionality of the G4 & G5 mouse buttons (the two buttons directly above the thumb rest (not the DPI buttons, those are fine). From what I can tell, the sniper button also provides tension/pressure(?) on the inside for those two buttons. Once I removed it, those two buttons were dead. There's probably an easy way to remedy this but I don't much care for all the buttons on this mouse. They were more of a nuisance for me anyway.

The reason I removed the button was because I play left handed and this button had become increasingly irritating. I previously owned a G9x and haven't been able to find a good price for it. Being discontinued, many places wanted well over what I paid initially for the mouse so I went ahead and sprung for this fancy new one. Now that I was able to remove the sniper button, I'm enjoying it much more.

Hope this helps. Also, I followed this guide on removing the button -- http://blog.siddv.net/2014/09/logitech-g502-proteus-core-teardown.html -- even though he doesn't get into this part, his guide is enough to get you to the button. It's a bit tricky and I wasn't able to completely remove the retaining pieces but I was able to bend it back far enough to access the screws holding in the button/button-bar, if you will.

If anyone has any questions or needs some help feel free to respond here and I can try to help guide you through what I needed to do. It definitely wasn't pretty as the mechanism that holds the sniper button assembly in place had to be bent back with some force to allow removal of the piece.

I'm happy with it now. 

Potato photo of the piece that was removed:

1hPxRs4.jpg