シルバー - Shirubā

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

COMPLETE! 

Everything wired up, side panels on, booted and Windows installed. Still got some software setup to do, but I won't be documenting that. 

Going to take some final pictures soon, probably today with my phone, but I'll take some more, better ones with my friend's camera or another camera if I can find one I can use. For now I've left you a Shinobu gif as a placeholder. 

It's taken a while, but I've really enjoyed this build. I feel like I've learnt a fair bit about modding from this build as several things didn't go to plan and I had to change things as I went along. Finishing this has made me want to create another rig (probably a media PC/720p gaming). I have a few ideas for it, among which are designing it in a Mirror's Edge art style or using an anime character as a base (probably Shinobu or another character from the Monogatari series). Keep an eye out for another build log from me at some point in 2015. 

Thank you to everyone who's followed, commented, provided helpful criticism and suggestions, complimented or just looked at the build log. I'll be submitting it to build logs of the month/week soon, so please vote for it if you have the chance (: 

Bye for now (: 

tumblr_mgcikkZdyN1rnrot7o1_500.gif

Pictures or it didnt happen! Seriously though pretty sure all of use would love an update with some pictures haha.

Well, I can take some pictures of the SSDs if you want xD Not very interesting though. 

Interesting stuff will start after I have the mounting plate made. I'll do a bit of a log on the prep and painting for that, as well as some experimenting with lighting for the lettering. I'm probably going to use a piece of frosted acrylic to diffuse the light, but I might have a go with some translucent black acrylic to see how it looks. 

So, I took out my GPUs and midplate to start getting the measurements for my mounting plate. I forgot the optical drive cage was still there, and realised that it's held in by rivets. I couldn't be bothered to remove it today, so I decided to work from an image of the case put into Illustrator, then work out the scale from the dimensions of the case. Lined it up and drew the basic shape before deleting the picture of the case. Did a load of fine tuning to get everything lined up. 

After doing that, I made a rough cut out of the design using the measurements from Illustrator. After some testing, I found that it fit pretty well, but it was going to be a bit too big. Did some more measurements to find the places I needed to cut down on. Also tested how much the radiators were going to block so that I could hide any holes for cables if possible. Found that I can hide the holes for the SATA cables behind the radiators, so that should look clean. Also, I'm deliberately making the plate a bit smaller than what will just fit as The edges are going to be blocked by radiators and side panels anyway. 

Here's the rough design with my scribblings from working out the measurements of the radiators and spacing for the SSDs. 

KHml0pC.jpg

After I got the measurements, I went and edited the original file I had to make it the right size and add the holes for the SSDs and the text. Exported it to DXF and just used lines for the laser cutting machine. Going to send it off to the company I'll be using and see how much it's going to cost. 

b7AD9xP.png

I know I haven't been around and much less in the ways of posting, but wow this thing is actually coming for fruition.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

I know I haven't been around and much less in the ways of posting, but wow this thing is actually coming for fruition.

Sounds like you thought I wouldn't make any progress.

tumblr_mu3ynq92zo1rax2hjo1_400.gif

It's going to take a while for the mounting plate to arrive, so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to do anything over the next week. I have all of the parts bar the angled fittings. I'd like to keep downtime to as short as possible, so I won't be removing the optical cages and hardware until the mounting plate arrives (Hopefully next week, but might be longer)

I have one PCI cable left that needs sleeving, so maybe I'll make a heatshrinkless paracord sleeving guide to give people something to look at xD 

Sounds like you thought I wouldn't make any progress.

Nah, my feelings in the sentence I typed was more like the feeling in your .gif had on your 121st post on this thread. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

Nah, my feelings in the sentence I typed was more like the feeling in your .gif had on your 121st post on this thread. 

I know, I know, I was just joking (: 

I know, I know, I was just joking (: 

This clearly travels well over the internet. 

Small update: Mounting plate has been ordered. I ended up getting it cut from matte black acrylic rather than aluminium. I was getting quotes of £150+ using aluminium, but around £25 using acrylic. It also saves me from having to paint the panel, and is easier to work with than aluminium in case I need to modify it.

I've been told it normally takes 5 days to complete an order, so it's pretty likely I won't get it till next week. When it does arrive, I'll finally be able to start building. 

Also, I've had to change how my SSDs are going to be set up. I was planning on having all three in RAID 0, but the Sata ports on my motherboard limit me to having two in RAID 0 and the third on a different controller. 

Small update: Mounting plate has been ordered. I ended up getting it cut from matte black acrylic rather than aluminium. I was getting quotes of £150+ using aluminium, but around £25 using acrylic. It also saves me from having to paint the panel, and is easier to work with than aluminium in case I need to modify it.

I've been told it normally takes 5 days to complete an order, so it's pretty likely I won't get it till next week. When it does arrive, I'll finally be able to start building. 

Also, I've had to change how my SSDs are going to be set up. I was planning on having all three in RAID 0, but the Sata ports on my motherboard limit me to having two in RAID 0 and the third on a different controller. 

Yay an update. :D :D xD

Steve

Yo bicycle! Got any work in progress you update pictures?

Still waiting on the mounting plate to arrive. If I get lucky it'll come tomorrow, then I'll have so many updates that I'll have to stagger them xD 

As of now.... Not really, at least none that provide remotely interesting pictures.

I've got some minor things I can start doing, like sleeving the last PCIe cable, but I'm going to be removing the cables later anyway, so I might as well do it then. I'm probably going to set up my external storage next week, so maybe I'll do some updates with that too. I'm still undecided on how to go about it though. I'm thinking of just buying two more 2tb HDDs, throwing them in RAID 0, then backing up the files that I can't download again onto 3 different 500GB HDDs I have in the glove box of my car xD 

The bulk of my data is games, movies, anime and music. Apart from games, I have pretty much all of my bulk storage cloned on my laptop, so it doesn't really affect me if a HDD dies, hence the RAID 0 set ups. 

Something I didn't consider is how to mount the SSD plate on the right side (where the SSD mounting points are). There's nowhere really to put bolts through in the case on that side, so I might have to use something else. I think I have some L brackets lying around from a mod I was planning on doing before, so I should be able to find a way to use those. 

As for the acrylic that I was going to put behind the mounting plate to diffuse the light, it occurred to me that it won't fit without cutting away at the case. Instead of making a mess of my case and ruining the resale value, I've decided to just use some thick tracing paper, somewhere between normal paper and rigid card in terms of thickness. It's translucent, so hopefully that will spread the light fairly well once it's taped to the back of the mounting plate. Not the most elegant solution, but it's cheap and you won't see it from the other side anyway. 

As a little side note: The Samsung 840 EVOs are much darker than I thought they were. In pictures I've seen, they're always pretty light/medium silver, but the ones I have look more like a dark grey than silver. Oh well, I think I actually prefer how they look, they're not going to be as contrasting as they would if they were lighter. 

I'm also trying to figure out ways of mounting the reservoir. I've looked at drilling holes for the mounting clips in the mounting plate, but I won't know for sure if it will work well before getting the mounting plate so I can test fit and see how things line up. If it doesn't work, I might have to buy some of EK's uni mounts and attach the res to the radiator in the front of the case. The placement might also depend on how the light hits the reservoir, but again, can't really test it out until the mounting plate arrives. 

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the PSU too. I removed the stickers from the top ages ago, but I'm probably going to have to remove the AX860 stickers too to get rid of the red. I might look into getting some custom stickers made for it, or I'll just leave it blank. I'm also considering turning the PSU fan up so that more of the cables are going to be connected at the bottom of the PSU, making the cables a bit less cluttered where they connect to the PSU.

That's pretty much it for now. Here, have a link to my neko mimi gif collection to tide you over for a bit: 

Neko Mimi

Snip

Ahh that gif collection haha. Welp I'll be awaiting for the nice visual updatesz

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Hey, it's an image!

vtyfKXc.gif

The SSD mounting plate came today.... While I was away at college. I'll have to go collect it tomorrow, then the real updates will start!

Well, I'm assuming that it's the mounting plate, unless I've ordered something and forgot about it xD

UXfR6Cx.jpg

Right, here we go! (Kind of). I was really hoping to get the optical cage out of the case today and get the mounting plate installed, but I found that my drill doesn't work, so I'm getting a new one tomorrow or Friday. For now I can start stripping the case and installing some of the watercooling stuff. 

The stripping starts! Also, the dust is real, didn't notice with the midplate in xD

U4wzPQS.jpg

For now I've had a look at the rivets on the optical cages, seems like there's around 7 holding them in, but I'm not sure on the last 3. I can't get to the last three without taking off the plastic front cover first, but I can't work out how to remove it. I'll either have to drill them out from the back, or bend the optical cage out and just break the metal. I'll have to see when I get round to actually removing it. 

AnlitmN.jpg

cYmPMiy.jpg

bEHJ0VH.jpg

Finally, the actually mounting plate! It's the wrong way round in this picture, but the other side's protective film is opaque and you can't see the cuts, so I took the picture from this side. I'm really happy with how this came out, it looks amazing. I got it cut from 3mm thick matte black acrylic, so I don't have to paint it myself. Ended up costing around £14 including shipping because the nice lady that I discussed the order with gave me a discount for the one off order (: 

OiD9gYI.jpg

I'll probably try and install the GPU and CPU blocks in a bit, so hopefully there'll be more pictures to come later today. On Friday I'll probably move everything onto a larger table downstairs and take pictures of all of the boxes that are currently taking up a lot of space in my room. 

-snip-

Blumin rivets. in my case rivets are holding down both the hard drive cage and the 5.25". also get a flat head and hammer or mallet and whack that rivet :P. The method ill be using as its quicker and easier than using a drill

Steve

@Oshinu Shinbu 

Nice. 

Good job on the sleeving. (To much white for me tho)

I see a lot of potential in this. 

Make it happen.

ALSO CLEAN THE DAMN CASE! The dust is terrible... xD 

@Oshinu Shinbu 

Nice. 

Good job on the sleeving. (To much white for me tho)

I see a lot of potential in this. 

Make it happen.

ALSO CLEAN THE DAMN CASE! The dust is terrible... xD 

I'm thinking the same thing to be honest. I've been considering moving to a new PSU and redoing the sleeving with white accents, but mainly black. I might upgrade to the 2011 socket at some point, so I might actually need a bigger PSU with everything connected.... 

EVGA's 1000W P2 is the one I'm considering right now.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G5SSMYW/?tag=pcp0f-21

Going to start on installing the waterblocks in a minute, so there'll be pictures of that in a bit. 

And yeah, I've been wanting to start this for a while, so I've put off dusting for a while. Going to have a really good clean up before putting everything back in. 

I'm thinking the same thing to be honest. I've been considering moving to a new PSU and redoing the sleeving with white accents, but mainly black. I might upgrade to the 2011 socket at some point, so I might actually need a bigger PSU with everything connected.... 

EVGA's 1000W P2 is the one I'm considering right now.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G5SSMYW/?tag=pcp0f-21

Going to start on installing the waterblocks in a minute, so there'll be pictures of that in a bit. 

And yeah, I've been wanting to start this for a while, so I've put off dusting for a while. Going to have a really good clean up before putting everything back in. 

You've got more than enough wattage but I don't see another way to get around that... You can probably sell it on the classified for the same price as the EVGA one costs.  Also yus! I want to see that :) 

You've got more than enough wattage but I don't see another way to get around that... You can probably sell it on the classified for the same price as the EVGA one costs.  Also yus! I want to see that :)

Who knows, maybe I'll switch it over later on, right now it's still fine. I'd probably sell it on the classifieds, yeah, people that will appreciate sleeved cables, unlike on eBay xD Although I have cut off the 2pins from the 6+2pin PCIE cables so that they can be sleeved clean. I've still got one more of them to sleeve before they're complete, but it will only take a few minutes. 

CPU block's on. Decided to just use EK's included TIM, there's so little difference between them that it's not worth going to the attic to get my MX-4 xD

Also, you can see my Steins;Gate wall scroll behind the case (:

Thats on my watch list :D

Steve