シルバー - Shirubā

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

COMPLETE! 

Everything wired up, side panels on, booted and Windows installed. Still got some software setup to do, but I won't be documenting that. 

Going to take some final pictures soon, probably today with my phone, but I'll take some more, better ones with my friend's camera or another camera if I can find one I can use. For now I've left you a Shinobu gif as a placeholder. 

It's taken a while, but I've really enjoyed this build. I feel like I've learnt a fair bit about modding from this build as several things didn't go to plan and I had to change things as I went along. Finishing this has made me want to create another rig (probably a media PC/720p gaming). I have a few ideas for it, among which are designing it in a Mirror's Edge art style or using an anime character as a base (probably Shinobu or another character from the Monogatari series). Keep an eye out for another build log from me at some point in 2015. 

Thank you to everyone who's followed, commented, provided helpful criticism and suggestions, complimented or just looked at the build log. I'll be submitting it to build logs of the month/week soon, so please vote for it if you have the chance (: 

Bye for now (: 

tumblr_mgcikkZdyN1rnrot7o1_500.gif

sweet & just to ask a favor; when you do find some to laser-cut your parts could you include a link to their website in your post or PM me. Trying to find a couple companies for my project. @

If you get it done in Kanji make it look authentic but with a broad & rough style.

Will do. I'm leaning towards cutting it out and then putting a backlight in. Just need to find a way to make it look good (obviously, can't cut out the middle of letters like 'a'. 

Second that, although for laser cutting my possible project might be substantially harder. 

Well, the place that I use will be majorly expensive and impractical for you. The shipping would be more than the actual metal. 

Don't laser cut everything, it takes out the hard work you do as a designer/dyi'ist. My project wouldn't be finished till prob mid-way/Q2-3 of next year.

I still make the designs using software, It'd just be too difficult to do anything by hand with intricate designs on an all aluminum side panel. Plus that might not even make it, it really depends on what I plan on doing when the time comes for me to actually upgrade my PC. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Will do. I'm leaning towards cutting it out and then putting a backlight in. Just need to find a way to make it look good (obviously, can't cut out the middle of letters like 'a'. 

Well, the place that I use will be majorly expensive and impractical for you. The shipping would be more than the actual metal. 

sweet & just to ask a favor; when you do find some to laser-cut your parts could you include a link to their website in your post or PM me. Trying to find a couple companies for my project. @

If you get it done in Kanji make it look authentic but with a broad & rough style.

There's also these guys, but I don't know they're available in the U.K. The actually company appears somewhere towards the end or in middle; it's been awhile, I've forgotten.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Seeing as there's not much I can do in terms of actual building, I decided to make a little banner quickly in Photoshop to put at the top of the page. Might spend a little longer (Spent about 2 minutes on this) later on making a better one. 

9PG9pyl.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just an idea. I've been looking at different SSDs, and a lot of the ones I like the look of have their connectors on the right hand side (like PNY SSDs and 840 EVOs), meaning I can't mount them in my 750D without turning them upside down. I was thinking of removing the mounts and drive cage, then creating a plate to mount them on. 

Just a really quick sketch up, let me know what you think. 

fBQnOLc.pngV

Velcro is your friend :D

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

• 3 weeks later...

So, it's been a while since any updates have come. 

I'm getting a fairly large bonus from work on Monday, so I will at the very least be getting the final parts of the watercooling loop bought this month. I'll probably look at buying the SSDs on the 25th (Looks like I'll be going for 3x 250GB Samsung 840 EVO drives, they're cheaper than PNY) The final part will likely be the SSD mounting plate, as that's going to take a fair bit of test fitting and designing before I order the final part. 

In the meantime, listen to some good music:

Getting closer to everything being prepared. 

I've got to get the SSDs and mounting plate sorted, but that will come later this month. Scan don't have my GPU's waterblock in stock right now, so I'll have to order that later too. 

A look at some of the final parts. I've also ordered the rest of my fans. I will be ordering the rest of the angled fittings once I've had a chance to test all of my tubing runs. 

0NoKmTM.png

I like Japanese too but I think English words transcribed in Japanese sound like ass. Maybe because it's sounds exotic to you because English is your main language but to me it sounds wrong.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I like Japanese too but I think English words transcribed in Japanese sound like ass. Maybe because it's sounds exotic to you because English is your main language but to me it sounds wrong.

Well, each to their own. 

I've actually been thinking about what to do with the name of the build on the mounting/backplate. I'm thinking I might have just シルバー cut out of the plate, then put a bit of frosted acrylic behind it with some LEDs to make it glow. 

Delivery came today. Expect an update of sexy new watercooling stuff, as well as something unrelated to the buildlog, but still cool.

Delivery came today. Expect an update of sexy new watercooling stuff, as well as something unrelated to the buildlog, but still cool.

Yay, cant wait :D

Steve

So, got a load of new stuff in today. This is very nearly the last of the watercooling parts, only the actual coolant and angled fittings left to get, hopefully at the end of the month. 

First box: 6 NoiseBlocker BlackSilent Pros. 

4EYENTn.jpg

Second box: Second GPU block. 

ylv7WXw.jpg

Third box: 360mm rad, second 240mm rad, second GPU backplate and some white LED lighting strips. 

SXZulNE.jpg

All of it together

lfvNDpy.jpg

And finally, something unrelated to the build log, but still exciting. 

fApdCa5.jpg

So, got a load of new stuff in today. This is very nearly the last of the watercooling parts, only the actual coolant and angled fittings left to get, hopefully at the end of the month. 

First box: 6 NoiseBlocker BlackSilent Pros. 

Second box: Second GPU block. 

Third box: 360mm rad, second 240mm rad, second GPU backplate and some white LED lighting strips. 

All of it together

And finally, something unrelated to the build log, but still exciting. 

Mmmm... Boxes. You better get building now or I'll kick your ass  :D 

I ordered my DK2 last week... It's still not here... :( Sad face is sad...

Mmmm... Boxes. You better get building now or I'll kick your ass  :D 

I ordered my DK2 last week... It's still not here... :( Sad face is sad...

I bought mine from eBay. I paid around £50 more than it would cost to order it from Oculus directly, but I got it next day and it's brand new (: Actually getting it set up right now.

I'm going to wait until the end of the month to buy the SSDs and rest of the fittings. I'll try to get the mounting plate sorted out before then so I can build the entire thing in one go. 

I bought mine from eBay. I paid around £50 more than it would cost to order it from Oculus directly, but I got it next day and it's brand new (: Actually getting it set up right now.

I'm going to wait until the end of the month to buy the SSDs and rest of the fittings. I'll try to get the mounting plate sorted out before then so I can build the entire thing in one go. 

I also ordered from eBay... There is some serious shit going on... 

Also looking forward to that :) 

Made another update to the design of the SSD mounting/backplate. This one is to scale unlike the others, but it hasn't got the correct measurements yet. I'll be needing to create some test ones out of cardboard or something to make sure it fits before I get it cut out in aluminium. I removed Shirubā from the design as I prefer how it looks with just the Japanese lettering. This also allows me to have the lettering cut out (without support struts for things like the B) and then put frosted acrylic and LEDs behind it. I've put a slight glow effect on the lettering to give you an idea of what I mean. 

I also moved the SSDs up because there will be a pump and radiator in the bottom right where the 'large' grey area is. There will also be a radiator on the right, parallel to the SSDs, but I need to do some test fits to see if I need to move the SSDs across the the left. I'm hoping that the gap between the radiator and backplate will be big enough to allow the Sata connectors to hide behind the radiator, cleaning up the cables. 

I've marked the holes for the reservoir mounting points and the mounting points for the backplate. Ideally, I would like to use some sort of adhesive to mount the plate to the case, but it's going to have a full reservoir and 3 SSDs mounted to it, so I think I'm going to have to drill holes in the case and use black bolts to secure it. I'm going to use some sort of adhesive to mount the SSDs as they're not exactly heavy. It looks like I don't have a choice but to mount the reservoir using the screws/bolts and clamps included with the reservoir. 

Any input on improvements to it is appreciated. 

TF8bkVa.png

Second to last order (hopefully)

List of things I just ordered: 

3x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

2x 1L bottles of clear EK coolant

NZXT Grid fan hub

2x Molex to 2 Sata power cables (This is for the SSD cable management)

3x Akasa slim Sata 3 cables (Again, SSD cable management)

2x 120mm fan filters (These are for the bottom radiator as the 750D doesn't have any filters there. Would like to have had a single 240mm one, but they're bloody expensive)

Next step is to strip everything out of the case and start getting the measurements for the SSD mounting plate. After that, I'll have to do some test fits and put the rads in to see what needs adjusting. I also need to do a quick test fit for the tubing to see how many angled fittings I need. I'm hoping that it won't 'need' many as the fittings are £7.50 a piece, but if the runs will look bad without them, it's just something I'll have to buy xD

Thinking I don't have a choice but to bolt the mounting plate to the case, so there's going to have to be some minor case modding. I'm undecided on whether I'll take out the 5.25" bays. I won't be using a fan controller as the ones I'm using are quiet and I haven't had an optical drive for ages, so I don't think I'll need them. 

I'm going to have to paint the mounting plate as I'm having it cut from plain 2mm aluminium. I'm hoping something like Hammerite will be fine for it. 

We're getting close. Should be complete and running by the end of October.

tumblr_mogvl3HMup1svn9hfo2_400.gif

tumblr_mogvl3HMup1svn9hfo2_400.gif

giphy.gif

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Awsome!!!!! 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Now that I have the SSDs, cables and pretty much everything else I need, I'm going to start work on the SSD mounting plate. I plan on stripping the case down tomorrow and doing a load of test fits to get the right measurements. 

Then all that's left it to make it into a DXF file and send it off to the company I'll be using. Once that arrives, I'll be able to start putting everything together. I'm going to take as many pictures of the build process as I can, so look forward to that. Should be done next week if everything goes to plan. 

Now that I have the SSDs, cables and pretty much everything else I need, I'm going to start work on the SSD mounting plate. I plan on stripping the case down tomorrow and doing a load of test fits to get the right measurements. 

Then all that's left it to make it into a DXF file and send it off to the company I'll be using. Once that arrives, I'll be able to start putting everything together. I'm going to take as many pictures of the build process as I can, so look forward to that. Should be done next week if everything goes to plan. 

Pictures or it didnt happen! Seriously though pretty sure all of use would love an update with some pictures haha.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram