LG 34UM95 worth getting?

cluelessgenius
Go to solution Solved by CCap,

In my opinion it will be like the Titan. It is the best GPU on the market for a few months, then some other card comes out for half the price and performs exactly the same.

Sure, you could bite the bullet and buy it now, but a few months from now when the price has been slashed in half, you might have a different opinion. 

im sitting here with my old lg w2443t thinking it is time to get something proper.

do you guys think this monster is worth getting? maybe with a vesa mount?

if not what kind of recommendations do you have in those line ?

ill be using it 50:50 watching movies and playing games.

im also into unique stuff so...

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

In my opinion it will be like the Titan. It is the best GPU on the market for a few months, then some other card comes out for half the price and performs exactly the same.

Sure, you could bite the bullet and buy it now, but a few months from now when the price has been slashed in half, you might have a different opinion. 

//ccap

but theoreticly you would say getting one of those would be wise? 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just my opinion but I'd much rather spend the same money on a ~30" 4K monitor in the near future (none of the current ones are suitable) than that monitor.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I'm planning on getting one.

The price is pretty steep ($1300AUD here).

I reckon it could drop in price by $200 or so after 3 months.

It's up to you. If you love the aspect ratio, the resolution, the panel type, and you're prepared to drop a good grand on a monitor then go for it.

Lot's of people buy 60" TVs that are easily over $1000 (and only 1080p).

So if it was $999 here in australia, then I'd probably buy it asap.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I'm planning on getting one.

The price is pretty steep ($1300AUD here).

I reckon it could drop in price by $200 or so after 3 months.

It's up to you. If you love the aspect ratio, the resolution, the panel type, and you're prepared to drop a good grand on a monitor then go for it.

Lot's of people buy 60" TVs that are easily over $1000 (and only 1080p).

So if it was $999 here in australia, then I'd probably buy it asap.

well in germany it is almost 900€, for comparison: as an Junior Softwaredeveloper i earn about 2,5k a month. so yeah its expensive but i really dont like the thought of a huge 16:9 monitor higher than my tower

well in germany it is almost 900€, for comparison: as an Junior Softwaredeveloper i earn about 2,5k a month. so yeah its expensive but i really dont like the thought of a huge 16:9 monitor higher than my tower

Yeah true that.

The reason why I'm considering this monitor is that my desk has a big shelf above it (it's a part of the desk) and I've only got a limited amount of space (height wise).

So that's why a 21:9 monitor would suit me better than a 16:9.

I could probably fit a 27" monitor if it had height adjust, but the aspect ratio of the LG monitor would be a much better fit. (with a vesa mount arm)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Yeah true that.

The reason why I'm considering this monitor is that my desk has a big shelf above it (it's a part of the desk) and I've only got a limited amount of space (height wise).

So that's why a 21:9 monitor would suit me better than a 16:9.

I could probably fit a 27" monitor if it had height adjust, but the aspect ratio of the LG monitor would be a much better fit. (with a vesa mount arm)

so true and also as i mentioned im a softwaredeveloper so im used to dual monitor setup at work and spoiled with multitasking ability so if id get 27" id probably have to get 2 of those and then theres the bezel n crap... i dont know i just think 21:9 would be really cool, still thinking abut it makes me wiesh theyd release a curved one. that would instantly make me take out my credit card no matter what it costs

so true and also as i mentioned im a softwaredeveloper so im used to dual monitor setup at work and spoiled with multitasking ability so if id get 27" id probably have to get 2 of those and then theres the bezel n crap... i dont know i just think 21:9 would be really cool, still thinking abut it makes me wiesh theyd release a curved one. that would instantly make me take out my credit card no matter what it costs

haha yeah a curved one would be sweet.

I'll probably use the monitor I'm using now as a secondary, but I'm not sure if I'll even use it. I'll have to see when the time comes.

Just my opinion but I'd much rather spend the same money on a ~30" 4K monitor in the near future (none of the current ones are suitable) than that monitor.

The thing is stopping get me going 4K is that you need two top end GPU's just to get 60fps at high settings in most games, never mind ultra. When we can get 60+fps consistently in every game at ultra settings with one or two GPU's, it might be a thing for me, until then, I'd recommend the 21:9 monitor any day as I'll be getting the same one.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

The thing is stopping get me going 4K is that you need two top end GPU's just to get 60fps at high settings in most games, never mind ultra. When we can get 60+fps consistently in every game at ultra settings with one or two GPU's, it might be a thing for me, until then, I'd recommend the 21:9 monitor any day as I'll be getting the same one.

So far, monitor upgrade cycles have been super long for me (4+ years). I tend to lean towards getting a high quality monitor and then sticking with it. So getting a large, high quality, not-ludicrously-expensive 4K monitor now isn't such a terrible idea since you can run games on it at 1080p anyway till the GPUs catch up.

I would never spend the amount of money required today to game at 4K at high settings.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

That 21:9 would be a good option, especially since running stuff in 4K still has scaling issues and prohibitive hardware issues. The only thing that you should consider is that there may be at least 1-3 other new ones that might come out in the year, effectively cutting the price due to LG no longer having a monopoly. After all, we are probably going to remain in a state of variance for a long while, so it's really up to your preferences.

Personally, I'd go with that 21:9, though I'd REALLY like to have a 21:9 that utilizes the 4K vertical baseline (2160p).

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

So far, monitor upgrade cycles have been super long for me (4+ years). I tend to lean towards getting a high quality monitor and then sticking with it. So getting a large, high quality, not-ludicrously-expensive 4K monitor now isn't such a terrible idea since you can run games on it at 1080p anyway till the GPUs catch up.

I would never spend the amount of money required today to game at 4K at high settings.

I personally tend not to buy products for features that won't be used until a year into owning them :P There's a very high-quality Dell 3440x1440 monitor coming too, so I think I'll wait and get that one.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

If that's the idea, why not buy a 1080p or 1440p monitor and buy 4k when it's more-market-friendly? 

I just don't see the point of spending X amount of money for something you can only partially use for nearly a year.

I'm with @TheDigitalRealm on that idea, seems pointless spending money on a ferrari, just to turn half the cylinders off and drive it like a moped.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

At the end of the day you'd be gaming at 1080p with a 28" monitor...nice 1080p is still just 1080p. :)

To the OP: go for that 21:9 monitor. It works better with your work flow, and you'll be able to run games on it without too much trouble. :)

If that's the idea, why not buy a 1080p or 1440p monitor and buy 4k when it's more-market-friendly? 

I just don't see the point of spending X amount of money for something you can only partially use for nearly a year.

I'm with @TheDigitalRealm on that idea, seems pointless spending money on a ferrari, just to turn half the cylinders off and drive it like a moped.

At the end of the day you'd be gaming at 1080p with a 28" monitor...nice 1080p is still just 1080p. :)

To the OP: go for that 21:9 monitor. It works better with your work flow, and you'll be able to run games on it without too much trouble. :)

I agree with you, but what I'm saying is I'd go for the best compromise.

Currently, I have a laptop (had to leave my old desktop at home, I'm at uni) and I plan to get a new desktop soon. And if at the point I'm getting a desktop there is a great 4K monitor that I can afford, but not enough GPU power to drive it all at suitable quality, I'd get the 4K monitor anyway so I only have to upgrade one thing in the future (my GPU) rather than both my GPU and monitor (assuming I bought a 1080p/1440p monitor).

If you look at my planned system in my signature, the monitor is a 1440p Asus, because there just isn't a suitable 4K monitor today.

I agree with you, but what I'm saying is I'd go for the best compromise.

Currently, I have a laptop (had to leave my old desktop at home, I'm at uni) and I plan to get a new desktop soon. And if at the point I'm getting a desktop there is a great 4K monitor that I can afford, but not enough GPU power to drive it all at suitable quality, I'd get the 4K monitor anyway so I only have to upgrade one thing in the future (my GPU) rather than both my GPU and monitor (assuming I bought a 1080p/1440p monitor).

If you look at my planned system in my signature, the monitor is a 1440p Asus, because there just isn't a suitable 4K monitor today.

that was actually my thought. buying something now that is future proof. i really need a new monitor but if i get a 1080 one now then id be tempted to upgrade to 4k in lets say a year or two. so i thought why not enjoy at least 34" and 21:9 and for me also new IPS and all those little features and then upgrade gpu in the future to realy game the crap out off it

but i might also wait for that dell one asuming they got a better stand for it :P

Edited by cluelessgenius

also it just came across my mind that a monitor like that would be nice with g-sync!

so how do you guys think i have to wait for that?

I'd get the 34UM95 over any monitor at its price. If only I could afford it. It may not have the sheer resolution of 4k, but it's not exactly worlds away either. Everything would look great on that screen, movies and games will look better than on a 16:9 aspect ratio screen.

that was actually my thought. buying something now that is future proof. i really need a new monitor but if i get a 1080 one now then id be tempted to upgrade to 4k in lets say a year or two. so i thought why not enjoy at least 34" and 21:9 and for me also new IPS and all those little features and then upgrade gpu in the future to realy game the crap out off it

but i might also wait for that dell one asuming they got a better stand for it :P

The panel on that LG monitor looks fantastic, and you can swap out that stand anyway. It's kinda like the cinematic alternative to 4K.

The panel on that LG monitor looks fantastic, and you can swap out that stand anyway. It's kinda like the cinematic alternative to 4K.

well yeah but most vesa stands ive seen look like crap and screw into the wall or clamp onto your desk so for me thats just .. meh.

well yeah but most vesa stands ive seen look like crap and screw into the wall or clamp onto your desk so for me thats just .. meh.

Well, if Dell is doing a 34" 21:9 1440p panel (U3415W?), they will almost definitely put in a stand with at least height adjust, which is all you need for that monitor. It shouldn't be too far away since the LG panel has already been out for quite some time.

Well, if Dell is doing a 34" 21:9 1440p panel (U3415W?), they will almost definitely put in a stand with at least height adjust, which is all you need for that monitor. It shouldn't be too far away since the LG panel has already been out for quite some time.

see thats all i needed why couldnt lg put at least hight adjust on that 34um95. also come to think of it, turning it from left to right without oving the stand would also be nice.