What is the best thermal compound?

Can you also tell me why it is better? I want to know what to look for in thermal compound.

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

Arctic Silver AS5 or IC Dimond Because they're both highly thermally conductive

It performs better for reasons no-one but a thermal engineer could understand.

There's no point even attempting to explain. No offense.

Here you go: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

Have fun going down the list.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Coolabratory liquid metal stuff.

But it destroys your IHS and cooler.

Other than that htey're all pretty similar. I use MX-4 because it spreads nicely.

Indigo Extreme is the best, but only by a degree. Check this benchmark out:

Please don't post adfly links on the forum...

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Please don't post adfly links on the forum...

Is it not allowed?

There are several factors for a good thermal compound. Depending on what type of bond you want some thermal compounds require curing or harden like cement like Arctic Ceramique I think does this. They can also vary in consistency or viscosity. Everyone has their own preference for this. 

Hardware secrets has a great roundup article: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

The thermal conductivity or thermal resistivity of the thermal paste controls how quickly heat can be transferred from the heat-spreader of the processor to the heatsink. In the article above you can see the differences between everything from chocolate to toothpaste, however it doesn't include my favorite which is IC Diamond 7 Carot. I like IC Diamond 7 Carot because it was easy to apply and as far as I recall performed slightly better than Arctic Silver 5.

Keep in mind that the margins for all these benchmarks are so small that even an improperly applied/installed heatsink may destroy any benefit. At the end of the day as long as you don't use chocolate you should be okay, It was the only compound worse than not having any at all.

EDIT: IC Diamond 7 carot was in this chart and it performed worse :(... Still my favorite.

Edited by KyonCoraeL

Is it not allowed?

You're trying to make a profit... Figure it out.

I bet the Noctua thermal paste is quieter.... somehow?

I like the fact that mayonnnaise beats Noctua NT-H1  :D

I thought it would be useful to add application instructions.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

In the past 5 years, I have seen everyone go from whatever method they used to use to this rice grain application technique because:

1. It is easier to apply
  2. It delivers consistent results
  3. It is universally applicable to all thermal paste afaik.

I bet the Noctua thermal paste is quieter.... somehow?

I thought it would be useful to add application instructions.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

In the past 5 years, I have seen everyone go from whatever method they used to use to this rice grain application technique because:

1. It is easier to apply
  2. It delivers consistent results
  3. It is universally applicable to all thermal paste afaik.

Arctic Silver recommends the line method for certain CPUs.

• 2 years later...

get ic diamond, you can brag to everyone that you have 7 carrot diamond thermal compound and act like a baller. 

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

I like my Tuniq TX-4 because it stays pliable and doesn't dry out nearly as fast as Arctic Silver does. It may get half a degree better, but I can't judge that properly.

It performs better for reasons no-one but a thermal engineer could understand.

There's no point even attempting to explain. No offense.

Here you go: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

Have fun going down the list.

Things that are better than Rosewill RCX-TC060PRO:

• Pink Lipstick
  • Toothpaste
  • Spray Oil
  • Mayonaise
  • Butter
  • Cream Cheese
  • Cream Cheese after 12 hours of use
  • Mustard
  • Diaper Ointment

lmfao.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Can you also tell me why it is better? I want to know what to look for in thermal compound.

This is an article by der8auer, a record breaking overclocker. He did a great job and also recomends some thermal pastes for value, since the best ones can be quiet expensive

http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6/

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10