LoL VS. DotA 2?

JoshK

As an extremely new player to both, I find them equally enjoyable, but I personally prefer LoL because all my friends play it. Though at the same time, Dota's money model is better since you do have all heroes, but LoL gives (imho) a sense of achievement and progression as one gets more heroes.

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

I do not understand? Neither of these is Starcraft?

*facepalm* 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I feel Dota has a bigger learning curve with many different kind of strategies.. Compared to League is where it's mainly just farm farm farm and there is ALWAYS a jungler hero where as Dota you aren't forced to have a jungling hero every game.

Dota 2 has the superior balance, mechanics, skill ceiling Free to Play model, graphical fidelity, client and Valve ofcourse, also very high entry barrier, with a more toxic community.

LoL is more casual, doesn't punish lack of skill as badly as Dota 2 does and let's be honest. there will always be more casual gamers than hardcore ones.

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

I played quite a bit of League of Legends and quit shortly after Dota 2 came along and I have been exclusively playing Dota 2 since then.

I find Dota 2 to be better paced and balanced.

I also like how the matches in Dota 2 are self-contained. League of Legends just has too much micro management and meta-game bullshit that I never gave a shit about even when I was playing it.

Strangely, most people would say Dota 2 is harder. But after playing both game myself I think this is false. A fuck up in Dota 2 has more consequences true but you have a lot more time fix your mistakes in Dota 2 compared to League of Legends. Matches last 20 minutes longer in average for starters and like I said they are better paced. In League of Legends everything feels like a rush to the end and one fuck up will cost you the game because you don't have enough time to recover.(people will just surrender anyway)

Just 5 minutes ago I have revisited League of Legends at the request of a friend and I concluded that I really did not miss the that gameplay style.

One strange phenomenon people switching from one game to the other will notice:

If you switch to Dota 2 after playing League of Legends the graphics will look dull and samey at first yet after you get used to it you will be amazed how people who are not used to it think the graphics look dull and samey.

If you switch to League of Legends from Dota 2 the graphics will look like pixelated low resolution crap from 10 years ago yet you'll get used it eventually and will think it looks better than it actually is.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I did like being able to surrender in LoL. Agreed that the character metagame at top end leads to a "You own this champion or you get owned in ranked", i.e. the game becomes a little bit Pay to win if you want to do really well. Character releases are always a mess as well. Like seriously Riot, learn to nerf champs a bit before you release them.

Champions definitely snowball harder in Dota 2 though. Character mechanics are... also a lot more interesting. League characters got to a stage where its like "Oh, the ability on that character is kind of like what that other character can do". Dota characters I feel are a lot more varied in mechanics, which I think leads to a much more interesting experience whilst playing. Specifically champs that have stood out so far in my limited experience are Invoker, Phoenix and Earth Spirit, I really like those characters mechanics (Although the only one I've played is Phoenix, and he's frakin hard to  play)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

• 4 weeks later...

this is more what I meant about balanced. dota has a few really broken/stupid things. I see your point though.

Horray, its fixed. And this Video is really

My personal preference is LoL simply because LoL is more geared towards being a balanced and neutral game perfect for competitive plays. What I mean by this is that in DOTA, an early mistake in lane that results in your death is very hard rectify...its a very unforgiving game that is also quite a bit harder to play from the get-go. In LoL on the other hand, I've found that even if I'm 3 kills down in the first 5 minutes or I've joined the game 10 minutes late due to connectivity issues, I can still be very relevant to my team in the pursuit of victory (be it split-pushing or a clutch play during a teamfight). 

TL;DR LoL highlights individual skill and mechanics better and on a more even/neutral arena than DOTA

I preferred DotA 2.

imo. I don't believe League is more balanced than DotA. Because in league e-sports professionals only use a selected few champions. While in DotA, there are a much more variety of heroes picked in the e-sport scene. In that sense it is balanced. DotA also is not about counterpicks as many of you guys are stating. DotA also comes down to player mechanics. I'm a pretty high level DotA 2 player and I can say that it is more about individual skills mechanics as oppose to picks. Unless you are 4900 MMR+ plus in DotA, counterpicks do not really hold a big relevance. As for cheese strategies, shown on Youtube videos. Those are cheese. If those were pull off in rank games of my level, your team would automatically lose.

One can not make a fair comparison between DotA 2 and league of legends unless you are a high level player in both games which almost no one is including myself.

But I will say both games have their own playstyles

DotA 2:

- longer team fights on average

- longer games on average

- weaker towers

- long duration disables

- you cannot surrender or forfiet the game when you are losing

- cosmetics can be found in game

- you can play whichever character you want

League:

-team fights happen

-shorter games on average

-stronger towers

-most disables are short

-spells are more spammable

-you are able to forfiet the game within 20 minutes.

-cosmetics cost money

-you don't get to play whatever character you want. Unless you earned enough in game money to purchase that character

They are both equally as good. However, I am biased towards DotA mostly because I like Valve more as a company as oppose to Riot.

My personal preference is LoL simply because LoL is more geared towards being a balanced and neutral game perfect for competitive plays. What I mean by this is that in DOTA, an early mistake in lane that results in your death is very hard rectify...its a very unforgiving game that is also quite a bit harder to play from the get-go. In LoL on the other hand, I've found that even if I'm 3 kills down in the first 5 minutes or I've joined the game 10 minutes late due to connectivity issues, I can still be very relevant to my team in the pursuit of victory (be it split-pushing or a clutch play during a teamfight). 

TL;DR LoL highlights individual skill and mechanics better and on a more even/neutral arena than DOTA

LoL is more geared towards being a balanced

"balanced" Don't make me laugh god damn it, post that shit to reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends and even they gonna laugh you out of there.

How many heroes do you have in lol? how many was picked in your last season finals?

compare that to dota 2 the international 102 hero pool: 93 picked. that is called balance.

LoL more forgiving? yes it is, it's more noob friendly than dota 2. does it make it more balanced? are you out of your mind?

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

When I say balanced I don't mean that each and every champion is perfectly created with perfect ratios etc. I mean the game offers both teams the same chance to win with no variables or factors outside each teams controls...THAT is what I mean by balanced. Next time when you want an excuse to rant about LoL at least take a while to read the actual message your ranting about...I never once mentioned fully balanced champs, I mentioned a balanced overall GAME which is necessary in order to have the game elevated on such a global competitive level like LoL is (unlike DOTA).

If you were on the LoL subreddit kameegaming, you would know that the only champions about who a fuss is being made in relation to balancing is one called Rengar and until Riot takes steps to balance him, the players will always have the chance to ban him during a game.

Finally in relation to champion selection during the competitions, the factors influencing that is hardly balancing but rather what complements the overall team composition and which champions are more adequately suited for the current meta. NOT which are OP. and which aren't. If you had watched competitive LoL for the last few years you would have seen way way more champs selected rather than focusing on only one season.

When I say balanced I don't mean that each and every champion is perfectly created with perfect ratios etc. I mean the game offers both teams the same chance to win with no variables or factors outside each teams controls...THAT is what I mean by balanced. Next time when you want an excuse to rant about LoL at least take a while to read the actual message your ranting about...I never once mentioned fully balanced champs, I mentioned a balanced overall GAME which is necessary in order to have the game elevated on such a global competitive level like LoL is (unlike DOTA).

If you were on the LoL subreddit kameegaming, you would know that the only champions about who a fuss is being made in relation to balancing is one called Rengar and until Riot takes steps to balance him, the players will always have the chance to ban him during a game.

Finally in relation to champion selection during the competitions, the factors influencing that is hardly balancing but rather what complements the overall team composition and which champions are more adequately suited for the current meta. NOT which are OP. and which aren't. If you had watched competitive LoL for the last few years you would have seen way way more champs selected rather than focusing on only one season.

How is dota 2 not offering the same chance for both teams to win the game?

How is Dota 2 not competitive on a global level? YOu do realize to this day the two Biggest E-sport tournamets are both Dota 2 tournaments, Dota 2 is the first tournament to have a pregame show on Television, ESPN 2.

Mindless LoL fanboi. :D

Biggest esport event was DOTA related? Mindless LoL fanboy? Before we part ways as there is literally no reason to converse with someone of your predisposition, let me clarify a couple of things.

1. Once more I urge you to go back and read my messages so that you can hopefully realise that apart from stating my favourite aspects of LoL, not once did I criticise DOTA....if my own personal preferences of a game make me a mindless fanboy in your eyes then...no comment.

2. I never claimed DOTA is not competitive on a global scale, it's just a fact however that LoL's presence is much bigger. More competitions, multiple global leagues, better remuneration policies for professional teams, sponsorship deals etc. then you have attendance, both on an online and physical level, LoL's attendance is far superior than dotas. Everything from selling out the staple center in the USA, the wembley arena in the UK and breaking all twitch.tv records with a whopping 100,000+ unique viewers at one point on a LoL related channel (specifically Soaz's channel).

Finally when looking at the companies which are involved as sponsors (such as coke) and the events that have taken place as a direct consequence of LoL and Riot (such as the USA creating a whole new type of visa allowance for professional gamers) the picture is unquestionable.

The only number that speaks in favour of DOTA on an esports level is the individual (not overall) prize pool offered to the winner of the latest event. The difference though is that that specific prize pool was to a point, crowd funded; something Riot refuses to do despite the LoL reddit community literally, at times, begging them to do so.

That is all. Can't say it has been a pleasure conversing with you as in a conversation both parties are even slightly open minded and do not senselessly accuse each other of being e.g. Fanboys. Good day.

Edit: corrected an autocorrect mistake

I am a very experienced dota 2 player and from what I have seen and what I have heard, dota has a lot more variables which can influence play.

One of these factors, which was pointed out in a post earlier, is the ability to deny your own creeps in dota 2. People often look over this and say no big deal, and maybe so in lower skill brackets. I am 4200+ mmr on dota and controlling your lane is one of the most important things to do in the early game. If you keep the creep wave closer to your tower, it's harder for the opponent to gank you, and easier for your teammates to gank the opposing player. Also, for mid lane, the 25% chance to miss your attacks uphill also helps you last hit better than your oppoenent and you can also use fog of war to out harass or initiate on the opposing hero. On the contrary, pushing the lane lets you go take runes every two minutes without missing much xp (or lets you stack jungle creeps).

One simple mechanic that changes the game so much.

I like your point here, I've not played alot of LoL simply because i couldn't get it to run on linux so I cant compare the two but I'm about 2000hours into dota and i'm only just now getting the hang of controlling the creep waves and I wish that more people understood that high ground give you the advantage

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Biggest esport event was DOTA related? Mindless LoL fanboy? Before we part ways as there is literally no reason to converse with someone of your predisposition, let me clarify a couple of things.

1. Once more I urge you to go back and read my messages so that you can hopefully realise that apart from stating my favourite aspects of LoL, not once did I criticise DOTA....if my own personal preferences of a game make me a mindless fanboy in your eyes then...no comment.

2. I never claimed DOTA is not competitive on a global scale, it's just a fact however that LoL's presence is much bigger. More competitions, multiple global leagues, better remuneration policies for professional teams, sponsorship deals etc. then you have attendance, both on an online and physical level, LoL's attendance is far superior than dotas. Everything from selling out the staple center in the USA, the wembley arena in the UK and breaking all twitch.tv records with a whopping 100,000+ unique viewers at one point on a LoL related channel (specifically Soaz's channel).

Finally when looking at the companies which are involved as sponsors (such as coke) and the events that have taken place as a direct consequence of LoL and Riot (such as the USA creating a whole new type of visa allowance for professional gamers) the picture is unquestionable.

The only number that speaks in favour of DOTA on an esports level is the individual (not overall) prize pool offered to the winner of the latest event. The difference though is that that specific prize pool was to a point, crowd funded; something Riot refuses to do despite the LoL reddit community literally, at times, begging them to do so.

That is all. Can't say it has been a pleasure conversing with you as in a conversation both parties are even slightly open minded and do not senselessly accuse each other of being e.g. Fanboys. Good day.

Edit: corrected an autocorrect mistake

"The only number that speaks in favour of DOTA on an esports level is the individual (not overall) prize pool offered to the winner of the latest event. "

TOP 50 games based on overall money paid off: http://esportsearnings.com/games

What you claimed though is LoL is much more balanced and idiotic stuff like that. That is what makes you an idiotic fanboi.

• 3 weeks later...

CS:GO Master Race :P

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Well, this place is cancerous.

When it comes down to LoL vs Dota 2, it's always gonna be either idiotic LoL fanboys who think their game is balanced and well rounded or elitist Dota 2 players who just gonna spit on everyone not playing the "masterrace" game

You wont get a decent answer. Anyone thinks the game they play is the best

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

There's lots of elitists in both games. Personally, I prefer HoN over both.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

You wont get a decent answer. Anyone thinks the game they play is the best

It's kind of like, Which Manufacturer do you think is better, Nvidia vs AMD / AMD vs Intel  everyone is going to say the ones they have.

It's kind of like, Which Manufacturer do you think is better, Nvidia vs AMD / AMD vs Intel everyone is going to say the ones they have.

People fanboy less about that, i think

LoL vs Dota will never be finished

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

AS A LEAGUE PLAYER: i tried dota.  i didnt enjoy it. i think because i had issues with some of the main fundamentals.  creep denying, although interesting i dont care for(maybe i just suck). i dont like the fact that you never have to leave lane to go buy, not that items actually do anything as far as stat bonuses from what i could tell. i think its weird theres a shop in the middle of the map.  i do like that the jungle plays a much bigger role than in LoL. but honestly i think my biggest issues with dota were the controls.  i understand why its there, but i dont like that when i click in the opposite direction of where my character was facing, ive gotta wait for him to turn around before i can do anything. makes kiting and constant creep killing, while harrassing the opponent more difficult than i feel it should be.

people say that league requires no skill and doesnt punish the player enough for dying, and i feel like this isnt true at all.  the game isnt just about killing your opponent over and over again.  you can accomplish just as much simply by forcing them to leave lane. even if you dont kill them, forcing them to go back to the fountain to heal provides you with plenty of time to push the lane, forcing them to miss cs, and get damage on their tower, or gives you a chance to go back as well to purchase without worrying about them making you miss anything.  i think peoples perception of lack of punishment, comes from low skill players not knowing how to properly take advantage of a given situation.

i also think watching league games is more entertaining, but that probably comes from actually playing league and understanding everything thats going on as opposed to when i watch dota, ive got no fucking clue..

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I personally think LoL is a tad overrated and Dota 2 has a vibrant community.

I would much rather  play Dota any day over Leagues.

AS A LEAGUE PLAYER: i tried dota.  i didnt enjoy it. i think because i had issues with some of the main fundamentals.  creep denying, although interesting i dont care for(maybe i just suck). i dont like the fact that you never have to leave lane to go buy, not that items actually do anything as far as stat bonuses from what i could tell. i think its weird theres a shop in the middle of the map.  i do like that the jungle plays a much bigger role than in LoL. but honestly i think my biggest issues with dota were the controls.  i understand why its there, but i dont like that when i click in the opposite direction of where my character was facing, ive gotta wait for him to turn around before i can do anything. makes kiting and constant creep killing, while harrassing the opponent more difficult than i feel it should be.

people say that league requires no skill and doesnt punish the player enough for dying, and i feel like this isnt true at all.  the game isnt just about killing your opponent over and over again.  you can accomplish just as much simply by forcing them to leave lane. even if you dont kill them, forcing them to go back to the fountain to heal provides you with plenty of time to push the lane, forcing them to miss cs, and get damage on their tower, or gives you a chance to go back as well to purchase without worrying about them making you miss anything.  i think peoples perception of lack of punishment, comes from low skill players not knowing how to properly take advantage of a given situation.

i also think watching league games is more entertaining, but that probably comes from actually playing league and understanding everything thats going on as opposed to when i watch dota, ive got no fucking clue..

GG branch also known as the Iron Branch that gives +1 all three stats is one of the best items in the early game, and probably the most cost effective item in the game. the fact that you think it didn't do anything says a lot about your skill level.

>the game isnt just about killing your opponent over and over again.  you can accomplish just as much simply by forcing them to leave lane. even if you dont kill them, forcing them to go back to the fountain to heal provides you with plenty of time to push the lane

that's exactly the same as Dota 2.

League of Legends is still DotA clone with less mechanics.