LoL VS. DotA 2?

JoshK

How about this 

and this  
both not bias I play LoL. Never played Dota 2 though. 

I prefer league. But the community is so toxic im probably going to go back to WoW soon.

Really wish companies would dish out real punishments for the idiots. like a 3 strike and your out kind of deal.

Gaming is meant to be fun. Not sitting there trying to play while some 9yr old is having a rage lol.

Although they do sometimes make me lol.

Cpu: I7 5930k @4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asus x99-S, Ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance ddr4, Gpu: x2  Evga super-clocked GTX 980's in sli,

Case:  Nzxt H440 Razer Edition, Storage: 250gb samsung 850 & x2 WD black 2TB.

PSU: 1050w Seasonic X-series gold. Cooling: Nzxt Kraken x61.

Since I play to have fun, here's how I judge competitive games:

How fun is it when you're losing?

Because obviously it's fun when I'm winning...

I really only play LoL now because my friends play it, and I play it as a consequence of wanting to play video games with friends. And being in a losing game sucks. If you get stuck with bad randoms, you just get to wait and wait until the enemy finally takes nexus. And it's boring. And it's not fun.

Both LoL and Dota are a nightmare. NIGHTMARE. To control. Play a PS2-era game, then a moba, and I dare you to come up with a reason why moba controls are more slick and fun to use. They aren't. Top-down is clunky and boring.

The only moba game that I really enjoy all aspects of is Smite. It has all of the complexity and depth of LoL or Dota, a much higher skill floor than both, a much higher skill roof than both, stellar game balance across roles and items, and...

It's still pretty fun even if we're not winning. <-- This is probably a consequence of the control scheme being more like an action game and less like an RTS

Really I dislike both Dota and LoL to some degree, but if I had to call one out for bad design and balance choices it would probably be LoL. Riot is basically clueless when it comes to nerfing/buffing champions and balancing the entire champion pool and item pool.

Git Gud.

Here's my opinion of mobas:

(Played 700+ Games) League is very balanced and has many more playable characters than most mobas. It balances team objectives well with giving a person the chance to hyper-carry but only if they are legitimately just that much better than their opponent (i.e. their lane opponent so they can get fed early and really snowball). That said about 1/10 people in the community seems to be really toxic. That may not sound that bad, until you consider the fact that each game is made up of ten players. Beyond that the lore is really interesting and riot has set up a great community in many other ways, with the community pumping out additional content in all forms to keep people entertained.

(Played 200+ Games) Smite is a very fast paced and much more action focused moba. For example, in league I usually prefer mage type characters, but in smite I prefer strait up assassins. There is much more focus on actual map positioning in smite, because you can legitimately sneak up behind people in the laning phase. This seems to be balanced by a much harder hitting jungle than in most mobas, because the junglers usually have to grab some lane exp before they can even start roaming. An AOE of the same size compared to your character in a moba like league seems bigger even though it isn't necessarily because of your perspective. The community doesn't give me many problem although there is the occasional troll. I also had much more fun in the non-standard game modes than I do in lets say the crystal scare. 

(Played 200+ Games) DOTA 2 is very similar to league. The difference mainly stems from the attitude valve has about their characters and certain game mechanics. This game is harder than league mechanically, in my opinion. This is most likely caused by the addition of turning speed, how item distribution works and a very not intuitive stat system. That said harder does not mean worse I love dota for it's complexity and over the top character abilities. It really allows for hyper carrying (which can be good or bad) and allows the greatest chance for your mechanical skill to show through. That said it sometimes feels a bit over weighted which seems to drag down on the team experience, as the correct answer 9/10 times seems to be do what's best for me as opposed to do whats best for the team in the early game. 

(Played 200+ Games) Heroes of the Storm is a very team oriented game. It is much easier to pick up than most mobas and as a result has not gold system, just exp. which is shared team wide. This makes it virtually impossible to 1 (or 2 or 3) man carry. The team that works together best seems to always win, but your not always on that team. Pugs can really drag you down, and with no way to surrender as of yet (it's still in beta at the time of this post) that can be incredibly frustrating. This also means solo or even duo queuing are a nightmare as it seems like you flipping a coin for your teammates. The flip-side to this is all of the maps have different objectives, which is a nice refresher, healing is definitely more important than in most mobas and some of the characters are very unique because they do not operate like a lot of other characters from other mobas (i.e. Abathur).  Ultimately I enjoy this the most when I have a full team of 5 people.

Note that this is all in my opinion from what I have played in these games.

• 3 weeks later...

I just find LoL more fun. Cant quite think why though. LoL champs feel much more memorable and roles feel significant and obvious. I also much prefer the LoL item system in game. I found Smite fun for the first few games but then it lost its apeal. I only really enjoyed Heroes of the Storm because of the WoW lore in it, gameplay was alright too. Dota too gameplay doesnt feel smooth but I understand its a large learning curve and some people like the challenge of learning the game. LoL really is easy to play and hard to master

• 4 weeks later...

I like dota because of it's mechanics, it's a lot of fun for me to play when I have a option to play every hero, which is a big point. Plus a lot of people I know like dota 2 more anyways because Arteezy use to be a student here.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Prefer League, GF prefers DOTA. Both games are fun but when it comes down to it, LoL wins where DOTA fails. SHURIMA

I personally think Dota is better now that I'm getting into it, I've met some really nice people, and when you carry a game on Dota is makes you feel extremely good and for the most part your teams like "Good kill" BUT some characters can be a bitch ex) Sniper v Phantom Assassin: but then again you get those really bad games then you get ones where you think your gonna fail but your friend destroys the ancient last second right before yours is about too, but hopefully the reborn makes it a little more balanced  

I like dota, cuz there are more things to do - u can stack camps, u can block them, cut trees, eat trees, collect runes....., also dota is looking much better than league, looks a bit like anime 4some reason. And one of the reasons - its completely free (not cosmetics), u dont have to buy characters and other stuff. Last reason I remember is that in LoL with runes and masteries u can get like over 100 dmg..so much in dota, u have much harder last hitting. 

But LoL is good cuz u dont have to w8 so long for match. =)

I personally prefer League over DOTA2. 

I've got many friends on both games, and I have tried many times to get into DOTA2, but it just doesn't click with me.

However, I do enjoy SMITE. $30AU for all current and new champions? Sold.

It depends how hardcore you play the games.

On the surface LoL focuses a lot more on teamwork. The characters are slower, the spells have low cool down and the stuns are MUCH shorter than DotA. This means that catching a person off guard usually requires more than one person to gank them. In DotA, you still have teamfights, but overall it's less engaged than with LoL. A hero can more easily tumble out of control and most pubbies tend to do the one man carry kind of thing.

If you are really hardcore into the game, like 4-8 hours daily into a game, then they are both exactly the same more or less. Team games always revolve around teamwork. In most pro-level play, the difference in mechanics between is much less important to the distribution and understanding of duties. 

• 4 weeks later...

this is more what I meant about balanced. dota has a few really broken/stupid things. I see your point though.

That's like 2 years old Lewl

Cpu Intel Core i7 (3770) 3.4GHz Qaud Core - MB MSI Intel B75MA-P45 - RAM Hypertec Hyperam 32GB - GPU EVGA Nvidia GTX 980 ti 8GB SSC - Case Cooler Master K-Series K380 Storage SSD 240GB Sandisk WD 1TB Caviar Blue - PSU EVGA 600W Bronze - Display BENQ 22' GL2450 - Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo

I am well aware of that. I don't think it was patched when I posted that. I posted that 1 year and 4 months ago.

I love when people reply to ancient comments and complain that its from something old. No shit.

That comment is also, almost 2 years old

Telling bad jokes since 1996

Intel i5 3470/ Asus P8B75-V / 8GB 1333mhz cheap ass Kingston Ram  / XFX R9 390 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB / Crucial MX 100 256GB / Antec EA650W / Samsung SyncMaster P2370 / Steelseries Apex [RAW] / Logitech G400s / NZXT Phantom White / Moto G 2015 8GB

So the last thing i want to do is start a heated argument about LoL vs dota, because we all know how thats going to end, but I have to disagree with you. I definitely have quite a bit of experience with both games, ~1000 games in league and just over 700 games in dota, and to me dota is much more balanced, every hero has a counter and one of the things that annoyed me most about LoL was the fact that once they brought a new champ out they are OP as balls until the following patch, which often breaks the game in other ways, though I havent played in a while so things may have changed. Though I am hesitant to claim that the dota community is 'good' i would argue that it is better in some aspects to the league community, such as leavers and feeding.

This might be making me sound like a fan boy but i think dota is more intense, you are actually punished for dieing and getting fed actually means something in dota where as in lol no team is ever really out of the game. But thats just my opinion.

I completely agree, dota is much MUCH more balanced than league, as well, it is more complicated, and in my eyes requires more skill.

Edit: just realizedwhen the last post is, oops.

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

Dota 2 , no question whatsoever

Just a boy playing DOTA 2.

I've played both of them quite a bit, but have a ton more time in LoL. Communities are equally bad. LoL is better balanced by far, but less all-out crazy because of it. I like runes and masteries, makes things more interesting. I think LoL currently has more heroes/champions. I personally much prefer LoL. Both very good games overall though.

Considering every time LoL brings out a new champion every month and makes them stupidly overpowered and there being champions that are never played due to how terrible they are DEFINITELY makes LoL more balanced -_-

I think both are great games, and experiences will obviously differ due to preference and the people you end up playing with (luck of the draw for most of us).

I think another aspect is the level you play at.

To expand on that, a serious amateur dota player will be focusing on the current meta, drafting, mechanics, and require heavy reliance on teamwork to make any progress in any competitive setting (AD2L, CEVO etc.). Many casual players don't understand that even amateur players at this level drill with their team very often, and is more similar to a "sport" than a "game".

I'm certain this is the same in the LoL scene, but I can't comment much since I've only played two games due to pressure from my friends. My initial impressions were however, that the games are very similar on the surface, but they start to become vastly different at a higher level of play.

- 4690K | Z97S KRAIT | AVEXIR RAIDEN | ASUS R9 390 | EKWB | FROZENQ | AIR 540 -

Dota 2 mastur race!

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

They were a really great post on reddit /lol but i can't find it, if someone can help me ? This guy was basically saying all you guys wanna know ! (it was 3 weeks ago or something like that)

A point he mention is that in Lol you can get easily burst in 1 sec and so mistake are much more a problem ! 

Also the difference between mage champion

I'll try to find it, it was really interstinng

Edit : here we go https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2oz30x/high_ranked_dota_2_player_gave_lol_a_shot_70/

You also have some other good thread just by searching DOTA in /Lol reddit (and probably vice versa https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/search?q=dota&restrict_sr=on)

Edited by Kirya

Some people said LoL is more balanced... This is untrue

Dota heroes are much more balanced

The balance in dota is balanced toward competitive play where heroes are balanced for the role they fit in

In LoL theyre balanced so that any champion is effective in the game, but certain champions are much more OP than you will find in DotA

Overall, dota has more competitive integrity, LoL has more players

Pick whatever you think looks more fun