LoL VS. DotA 2?

JoshK

I have played dota 2 for 2000h so i think i have the qualification to talk about it, really once you get in to higher skill match making the game becomes way more about your team play and i would suggest finding some friends to play dota 2. if you think dota 2 is esay your dumb because if you have 5-6k mmr and you still find it easy please contact me because i don't believe it its easy when you go against noobs but when you come across a good team good luck 

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

add me up i am a 5k mmr player. il teach LoL players a lesson http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ditya-God

umm you have 200h?

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Let me add.. In one setting as a new member, incase this was said before.

I finished diamond this season in LoL. Went to Dota and fucked shit out of 

the players. Both game are the same. I would say Dota is easier, but it's because I have some skill in MOBA games. They are the same.  :)

Ok, so here is the real deal.

LoL created by Gosu DOTA 2 = IceFrog  

Both were involved in the inception of dota 2 and making it more popular than Warcraft 3, the game the mod it was hosted on (half life/cs anyone?)

LoL did not carry over denying, for any hardcore DOTA player this was a big "no, no":

IceFrog always tuned maps and balanced changes 100% towards the pro scene.

Today's DOTA 2, with over 6,000 hours played, and a little LoL I would say skill wise is pretty equal.  Denying has been nerfed so hard for the casuals.  I don't follow LoL and don't know current/past metta's but I believe IceFrog is making changes bvased on making games more action packed.  So, more fun to watch/spectate pro tournaments.

In the end if you're good at LoL you will be good at DOTA 2 and vice versa.. It will just take the obvious knowledge of learning new hero's/items/basics

My 2 cents

@WhOaMi_Gaming

id/theoriginalwhoami

League is more simple than Dota 2 (champion selection wise and the mechanics of the game)

League of Legends is a more of a casual game compared to Dota in my honest opinion. You'll find a lot more trolls on League of Legends than Dota 2 and a LOT of hate if you decide to go into ranked games and die a few times.

The amount of changes League of Legends has done (lore wise and map) changes the look/feel of the game dramatically (from a cartoony looking game and pretty unique MOBA into a Dota 2 like clone) while Dota 2 has stayed the same, keeping to it's colour scheme and beautiful graphics. (not a fan of the League of Legends lore change & map style at all but Dota2 players might be interested)

If you can deal with the hate from the terrible League of Legends community and more easy to learn gameplay, League of Legends would be fantastic but if you're looking for more of a challenge and a beautiful looking game with updates from Valve themself ;) then Dota 2 is for you ;)

(Experience of League & Dota2)

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally play LoL myself. I've been playing for about 3-4 years now. Im still not that good at the game, LoL is a very very very hard game to master. If there is anyting, LoL came out first before Dota 2 did. Well it was a Mod back in that Warcraft 3 Mod, still wasn't a game. I've played both myself, I honestly prefer LoL over Dota. It's more competitive. 

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

this is more what I meant about balanced. dota has a few really broken/stupid things. I see your point though.

I'm pretty sure that this is already fixed

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

I'm pretty sure that this is already fixed

It absolutely is. That was last May, and it had been fixed for a month or two at the time of me saying it, I believe.

Ive played DotA for about 50 hours but want to know what Its like compared to LoL.

I've 600 hours in dota 2 and around 100 in Lol and my impressions are (this might be biased towards dota because its mostly all that i play) that dota has a much steeper learning curve but feels more balanced at first (due to everyone having all characters from the start and the lack of stat gem) but Lol feels less stressful to play and easier to enjoy.

For the graphics, I personally prefer Dota but after the new map update, Lol looks pretty much just as good

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

I personally play League of Legends. But with that being said, if I were to start over again, I'd choose DotA 2.

The LoL client is aboslute garbage...

Avoid both, I've easily clocked 600+hours on both... Don't waste your time. Ive been through a lot of mobas, DotA, HoN, LoL & DotA2. Its just the same stuff recycled over and over. Ive been trying HoTs though and its not bad...but either way, screw mobas!

Oh wow, this thread is totally not riddled with shit posts.

To put it simple, Dota 2 is more strategically and tactically intensive, while LoL is more skill intensive. Dota 2 is like a small military skirmish while LoL is more like a team brawl.

Characters in LoL require's much less resource management, so outplaying the opponent consistently is more important, at least in the laning stage. Dota 2 has more tactical elements like a teleport item and an item that makes you invisible until you get in a close proximity of an opponent, stuff like these gives you more options in the tactical department.

That's a pretty basic description of the games, both has solid qualities that makes different without being too niche. Feel free to ask if there's any questions, I've got hundreds of hours into both games and think I can answer unbiased.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Avoid both, I've easily clocked 600+hours on both... Don't waste your time. Ive been through a lot of mobas, DotA, HoN, LoL & DotA2. Its just the same stuff recycled over and over. Ive been trying HoTs though and its not bad...but either way, screw mobas!

Have you tried Smite? It is the third largest MOBA out there, second largest esports prize pool (second only to DotA), and has unique gameplay (much more similar combat to a MMORPG than an RTS).

If anything you should check the Smite World Championship out on Friday (1/9-1/11/2015) on the Smitegame twitch channel. Basically you'll see the top players from around the world play for a share of $2,500,000.

Btw, I only mention Smite because you didn't mention it D:

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Have you tried Smite? It is the third largest MOBA out there, second largest esports prize pool (second only to DotA), and has unique gameplay (much more similar combat to a MMORPG than an RTS).

If anything you should check the Smite World Championship out on Friday (1/9-1/11/2015) on the Smitegame twitch channel. Basically you'll see the top players from around the world play for a share of $2,500,000.

Btw, I only mention Smite because you didn't mention it D:

I've seen it, but I've never attempted to put in the effort to try it, I really should :)

Old thread is old.

But i'll throw my 2 cents. The primary reason I play league over dota is strictly character movement/attack. Silly as it sounds, I find dota to be very sluggish. League feels a lot faster and crisper in comparison when (for example) last hitting a minion. I only have 10~ hours or in dota, but that was enough time to decide it wasn't for me. The games great, just not my taste.

I have to really disagree with what you said here, this is your opinion, based on what you like and dislike. Other people might actually like MOBAs, after all they are so popular for a reason.

On topic: LoL4Lyfe no doubt.

hi

Old thread is old.

But i'll throw my 2 cents. The primary reason I play league over dota is strictly character movement/attack. Silly as it sounds, I find dota to be very sluggish. League feels a lot faster and crisper in comparison when (for example) last hitting a minion. I only have 10~ hours or in dota, but that was enough time to decide it wasn't for me. The games great, just not my taste.

That's cause League doesn't have a turnrate variable. Much easier to kite, which is why AD carries are strictly ranged in League.

Keep the thread going B O Y S

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Well if we are necroing old threads.

TL;DR: I've played both extensively, play whatever you want it's a matter of personal preference. 

Here are my 2 cents, but first my life story when it comes to ARTS's because reasons:

I started played DotA-Allstars back in the day when it was a WC3 mod, 6.37 (or something, back in late 2006). So I've been playing DotA 2 for a VERY long time. Afterwards in Late 2009, I made the transition to LoL for a couple of months, before going back to DotA until the release of HoN which I played intensely for around 1 years. But got sick of it took a break from the genre for about 6 months before coming back and playing LoL. I now have 2 levels 30s on OCE and NA, so I am fairly well versed the game. I got a DotA 2 Beta invite in 2012 and when I got my invite I've been playing mostly DotA 2 with the occasional game or two in LoL with some friends. Currently I have 2,800 hours in DotA 2 according to Steam, so I have been pretty much diagnosed with requiring a life, but whatever. Also insert a brief 2 weeks playing Smite somewhere in 2013 and around 8 games of Heroes of the Storm and a very brief splatter in Demi-God. 

Now my thoughts on the LoL vs DotA 2 (Because screw HoN). I would say these games are both incredibly similar and different at the same time. I personally do see them as an Apples and Oranges comparison, because they are actually incredibly different when to play them to the extent I have. Now people do think oh look they both have towers/turrents, a giant base structure, 3 lanes, a huge pool of heroes/champions. 

First off, I just want to do League of Legends probably has a higher mechanical skill cap than DotA 2. The reflexes you require in that game as well as the ability to lane skill shots and stutter-step/kite is a lot more critical than in DotA 2, because virtually every champion does have a skill shot. Sure there's denying in DotA 2 but mechanically speaking I would say LoL definitely has a higher skill cap. The reason why people say DotA 2 has a steeper learning curve/higher skill cap is due to the amount of knowledge and strategy that is involved in the game. League of Legends I would say around 30% of the champion pool is actually relevant to the current meta. DotA 2 I would say out of the 109 heroes, pretty much all of them can be useful if you pick your draft right to counter the enemy draft. When you look at the top DotA 2 teams, their ability in terms of mechanical skill are more or less the same, with the difference really being in strategy and as well tactical decision making. Meanwhile for the Top Tier LoL teams, the best teams are simply mechanically better. But you pretty much have to pick whichever of the two you prefer, the strategic nature of DotA 2 does make games a lot more dynamic overall in my experience due to smoke ganks, rotations, buybacks and teleportation, but if you prefer the pure battle of talent you might prefer LoL. Although I personally think as a spectator sport, DotA 2 is definitely a lot more interesting because of all the strategies that can be deployed, although admittedly TI4 was a snore-fest, especially compared to TI3.  

So you can't really compare to gameplay, because it's really the difference between ice hockey and normal hockey. As for the communities, people say all communities are bad, personally I found HoN to have the worse by far, followed somewhat closely by LoL. DotA 2 I haven't actually experienced much of the raging and flaming that it is famous far, which I find weird since I always hear complaints about it on forums. 

I will say that in LoL, it's a lot easier for you to carry your team than in DotA 2. Because of the way items work in League, you can snowball with a lot more heroes than in DotA where if the enemy is coordinated enough even the best player on the most farmed carry with struggle against a decent enemy team. Also in LoL you have the clearly defined roles of Top, Mid, ADC, Support and Jungler. While in DotA 2 you have the vaguely defined positions 1-5, which only reflect their farm priority, but because it isn't as clearly defined, you can very much lose the game at the draft and only by the enemy team COMPLETELY messing up can you win. 

Personally I would very much like to see S.Korea adopt DotA 2 a lot more and maybe prove me wrong about the whole mechanical skill vs strategy. Because currently the only decent S.Korean team is MVP and they are very much defeated by 'smarter' plays of other teams. 

although admittedly TI4 was a snore-fest, especially compared to TI3.  

Not really, the groupstage was pumped with awesome games, the main event brackets weren't nearly as good, and it was the grand finals that kinda ruined it.

It started out great, then just got worse and worse, but I still think it probably had the best groupstage of any TIs.

Not really, the groupstage was pumped with awesome games, the main event brackets weren't nearly as good, and it was the grand finals that kinda ruined it.

It started out great, then just got worse and worse, but I still think it probably had the best groupstage of any TIs.

Well it was more of the strategy aspect, NewBee figured out the best strategy for the patch and no one else seemed to know how to beat it. Before that you were able to see a mesh of play styles and see how different play styles and strategies would affect match up and create some exciting matches. 

Well it was more of the strategy aspect, NewBee figured out the best strategy for the patch and no one else seemed to know how to beat it. Before that you were able to see a mesh of play styles and see how different play styles and strategies would affect match up and create some exciting matches. 

The deathball strategy was most prominent in the main event. The groupstage had a lot of diversity, in total the were only 8 heroes that wasn't picked and you could see various strategies. But as it progressed and went to the main event, teams started to play safer.

Point is, groupstages were exciting, main event was subpar and boring, at least the later series.

smite......

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

I've played over 2000 hours of league and a mere 13 hours of Dota 2. But honestly I like Dota 2 way more. I know I have hardly played anytime but I enjoy the play style a lot more. And I seem to play safer since you get punished a ton more in Dota 2 than LoL. :D I def plan on playing more of it in the weeks to come! 

Edit: Smite is a hell of a lot more fun than both! Forgot to mention that.

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

I personally play League of Legends. But with that being said, if I were to start over again, I'd choose DotA 2.

The LoL client is aboslute garbage...

^^^ If I haven't spent the amount of time learning LoL I spent on Dota 2 I'd be a lot happier. 

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

• 1 month later...