LoL VS. DotA 2?

JoshK

GG branch also known as the Iron Branch that gives +1 all three stats is one of the best items in the early game, and probably the most cost effective item in the game. the fact that you think it didn't do anything says a lot about your skill level.

>the game isnt just about killing your opponent over and over again.  you can accomplish just as much simply by forcing them to leave lane. even if you dont kill them, forcing them to go back to the fountain to heal provides you with plenty of time to push the lane

that's exactly the same as Dota 2.

League of Legends is still DotA clone with less mechanics. 

correct, im a league player. my dota skill level is 0.  insulting people is not where this needs to go though.  +1 to anything in league is negligable.  and you're right, it is a dota clone. but that doesnt mean it isnt good. Doom is just a Maze War clone, but does that mean Doom sucks? 

i was merely pointing out my opinions and observations from my dota experience, which again, is limited to a few bot games. 

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

correct, im a league player. my dota skill level is 0.  insulting people is not where this needs to go though.  +1 to anything in league is negligable.  and you're right, it is a dota clone. but that doesnt mean it isnt good. Doom is just a Maze War clone, but does that mean Doom sucks? 

i was merely pointing out my opinions and observations from my dota experience, which again, is limited to a few bot games. 

I don't see any insult in my reply, only if you consider observation of skill level offensive. I didn't say LoL sucks either. It obviously has a place in the market, since it's very popular, League is more causal, Dota is more hardcore.

On the skill level topic the first introductory guide to dota is called Welcome to Dota, you suck! that's not an insult either, but rather a declaration of how difficult the game is, sucking at something is no shame. I suck at dota too compared to pros. I suck at rubik's cube compared to an infant, I would not take it as insult if somebody said I suck at Rubik's cube,It's true after all

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

I like your point here, I've not played alot of LoL simply because i couldn't get it to run on linux so I cant compare the two but I'm about 2000hours into dota and i'm only just now getting the hang of controlling the creep waves and I wish that more people understood that high ground give you the advantage

No offence but you're around the 2k mark and only NOW just getting the hang on creep waves?? Again no offence but that's horrid.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

No offence but you're around the 2k mark and only NOW just getting the hang on creep waves?? Again no offence but that's horrid.

not everyone learns at the same rate or watches top tier professional games which imo is the best way to learn the game once you know the basics and have looked at what all the items and hero skills do.

Intel Core i7 930 // GIGABYTE X58-UD7 rev1 // Corsair Dominator 3x4GB // GPU MSI 7870 // Fractal Design R4 // 256GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 1TB Samsung SpinPoint 3TB Seagate Barracuda  // Corsair 1000W // Dell 2713H // Vortex Poker II Ducky DK9008 // Logitech G400s // SteelSeries Qck+ DotA 2 Edition // Swan D1080-IV Audioengine A5+ Audioengine S8 // ASUS Xonar Essence STX - Albums http://imgur.com/a/wkJSM#2 // http://imgur.com/a/V2idF#0

DotA is slower than League, this is true, however: attacks have more impact and the decision to use a move will cost you your life or get you a kill. The game may be slower, but timing and teamwork are more emphasized due to the impact of your attacks. In League, you see an enemy and you spam all of your attacks in a pre-set combination on that hero. You target the ADC/ADM first no matter what.
In DotA you have to target your opponents based on initiations and use your team's abilities in combination with each other to the fullest. The activation of items and spacing both changing the tide of any battle. Typically the high risk/high reward gamestyle of DotA is more enthralling for me, personally, but I can easily see why someone would prefer the skillshot based aspect of LoL. I like the thrill of my team being teamwiped and it being almost impossible to recover, but due to incredible teamwork and an amazing teamfight or two, being able to finally win the game. 
Finally, I like how DotA feels more free than LoL, as any hero can go into any lane (except possibly mid/jungle) whereas in LoL, you always have one in a lane, one in jungle, one in mid and a duo. 
They're both great games, I just prefer the art style and tactical game play of DotA with the harder but more rewarding learning curve.

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

not everyone learns at the same rate or watches top tier professional games which imo is the best way to learn the game once you know the basics and have looked at what all the items and hero skills do.

That's easily over 1k games. If you are only just getting the hang of creep waves.... yeah.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

My opinion, from a guy that started playing dota about 10 years ago, back in battle.net, at version 3.something is this:

DotA (amongst a few other WC3 MOBA maps that died) is the first and original game of the genre. I played competitively back in the day and DotA2 is a game that, pretty much, recreates it with some improvements that were impossible in the WC3 engine.

Right now, I am pretty sad with DotA2 because most of my matches are one-sided. I consider myself a good player that can play any role/hero but I always win too easily or lose too easily too. Out of 10 games, I usually get 1 or 2 balanced games, which is pretty sad.

I don't care about losing or winning, I just want to have fun (most of the times). That's where LoL comes. I never played it. Most of my DotA2 friends hate it and tell me it's a cheap ass copy that is successful because of Guinsoo. However, people that I know and play LoL say it's a lotta fun and there are many more balanced matches, even though the average age of the LoL player is 13.

So, for me, DotA will always be my preferred MOBA game but, because of so much pain and shit I go through while playing it, I'm seriously considering trying LoL, which is a heresy for most old-school DotA players.

If only Valve improved their matchmaking a little bit...

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

No offence but you're around the 2k mark and only NOW just getting the hang on creep waves?? Again no offence but that's horrid

Why should I not take offense to this? I'm sorry that I am so terrible at this game that it apparently caused you shock. I'm sorry that I don't bother reading up strats about a silly little game. I'm sorry that i don't really care about the term "5th position" and that I play it simply to fill gaps of time and am not looking fulfillment from winning a video game. I'm also very sarcastic and not sorry at all.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

That's easily over 1k games. If you are only just getting the hang of creep waves.... yeah.

it's actually about 650

My opinion, from a guy that started playing dota about 10 years ago, back in battle.net, at version 3.something is this:

DotA (amongst a few other WC3 MOBA maps that died) is the first and original game of the genre. I played competitively back in the day and DotA2 is a game that, pretty much, recreates it with some improvements that were impossible in the WC3 engine.

Right now, I am pretty sad with DotA2 because most of my matches are one-sided. I consider myself a good player that can play any role/hero but I always win too easily or lose too easily too. Out of 10 games, I usually get 1 or 2 balanced games, which is pretty sad.

I don't care about losing or winning, I just want to have fun (most of the times). That's where LoL comes. I never played it. Most of my DotA2 friends hate it and tell me it's a cheap ass copy that is successful because of Guinsoo. However, people that I know and play LoL say it's a lotta fun and there are many more balanced matches, even though the average age of the LoL player is 13.

So, for me, DotA will always be my preferred MOBA game but, because of so much pain and shit I go through while playing it, I'm seriously considering trying LoL, which is a heresy for most old-school DotA players.

If only Valve improved their matchmaking a little bit...

Have you played captains mode? Games seem to last alot longer because the most OP characters are banned right away and both teams can take the time to chat it out and hand out roles.

Why should I not take offense to this? I'm sorry that I am so terrible at this game that it apparently caused you shock. I'm sorry that I don't bother reading up strats about a silly little game. I'm sorry that i don't really care about the term "5th position" and that I play it simply to fill gaps of time and am not looking fulfillment from winning a video game. I'm also very sarcastic and not sorry at all.

Your 1st language isn't English or you're being a dick, either way i was just stating I didn't want to cause offence. Simple politeness. As for causing shock, yes. Nearly or over two thousand hours in a game and you're only now just cracking the basics of the game. That is shocking, period.

it's actually about 650

it's nowhere near 650 lol. Unless each of your games are nearing 3 hrs in your ~2k hrs of dota gaming. No, just no.

Your 1st language isn't English or you're being a dick, either way i was just stating I didn't want to cause offence. Simple politeness. As for causing shock, yes. Nearly or over two thousand hours in a game and you're only now just cracking the basics of the game. That is shocking, period.

it's nowhere near 650 lol. Unless each of your games are nearing 3 hrs in your ~2k hrs of dota gaming. No, just no.

Oh so you were polity stating that I am shockingly awful at this game, In that case how could I possibly take offense to that, you were so polite while saying it. and yes it's about 650 games well actually I am at 2076 hours in dota according to steam and have played ~720 matches

im-just-here-to-read-the-comments.jpg.pn

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

Oh so you were polity stating that I am shockingly awful at this game, In that case how could I possibly take offense to that, you were so polite while saying it. and yes it's about 650 games well actually I am at 2076 hours in dota according to steam and have played ~720 matches

Now you're just being deliberately butthurt. I never started you were terribad at the game, just amazed its taken over 2k hrs to grasp one aspect of the game and anyone who's played dota or even LoL would agree. Stop being a bitch because I observed that fact. As for times, it seems your games are stupidly long or you idle a lot.

Now you're just being deliberately butthurt. I never started you were terribad at the game, just amazed its taken over 2k hrs to grasp one aspect of the game and anyone who's played dota or even LoL would agree. Stop being a bitch because I observed that fact. As for times, it seems your games are stupidly long or you idle a lot.

I'm being responsively butthurt admittedly not to your opinions on my ability to play Dota 2; honestly, I don't really care, but instead to your use of "No Offense".  "No offense but...", "I'm not racist but...", "I'm not homophobic but..." generally predicate something that could be offensive, it is not a get out of free card to say what ever you want without consequence or reaction.

"...you're around the 2k mark and only NOW just getting the hang on creep waves?? Again no offence but that's horrid"

"...you're around the 2k mark and only NOW..." you chose to capitalize the word "now" which in this context suggests shock or surprise at the idea that one can play for so long and only now learn an aspect to a game, this is fine, I would have read your comment and forgotten it as quickly but your use of "No offense" suggests that offense could be taken from this statement and may have prompted me to press you on it.

"...Again no offence but that's horrid" This makes it no longer necessary for me to prompt you on it because you've already answered why you are surprised by my performance in this game, your shock is due to my horrid ability.

Unless I'm wrong, how in this context is this statement not offensive? How is stating "You are doing a horrid job." not supposed to offend?

"

Have you played captains mode? Games seem to last alot longer because the most OP characters are banned right away and both teams can take the time to chat it out and hand out roles.

That's where the wrong begins. There's no such thing as OP heroes. Some might be better than others but one hero cannot win the game alone.

I'm awesome as a carry/mid/offlane/jungle, however, I only play as a support because, if I pick on of the other roles, the rest of the team might not even pick any support at all!

I'm really getting down to only playing DotA if there's at least one friend with me because wasting 45 minutes of your life, farming as a support, supporting your shitty team that loves to fight each other is extremely disappointing...

About Captains Mode, I might even give it a try because I can just say "pick any support for me, I don't care which one". Thanks for the advice, will try.

EDIT:

Let's stop arguing guys... have you tried drinking and hitting on the hottest girl on the club/pub? It's so much fun.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

That's where the wrong begins. There's no such thing as OP heroes. Some might be better than others but one hero cannot win the game alone.

I'm awesome as a carry/mid/offlane/jungle, however, I only play as a support because, if I pick on of the other roles, the rest of the team might not even pick any support at all!

I'm really getting down to only playing DotA if there's at least one friend with me because wasting 45 minutes of your life, farming as a support, supporting your shitty team that loves to fight each other is extremely disappointing...

About Captains Mode, I might even give it a try because I can just say "pick any support for me, I don't care which one". Thanks for the advice, will try.

EDIT:

Let's stop arguing guys... have you tried drinking and hitting on the hottest girl on the club/pub? It's so much fun.

Fair enough, I was going to comment on having carried my team multiple times but that was usually because I was laneing against there weakest player and exploited it hard with a hard carry like faceless or chaos knight

Fair enough, I was going to comment on having carried my team multiple times but that was usually because I was laneing against there weakest player and exploited it hard with a hard carry like faceless or chaos knight

That's exactly it. It's SO EASY not to suck at early game against a Void/CK(or any other carry like PL, Magina. PA and Tinker are tricky but not impossible) if you pick your heroes well. Hell, even the starting items matter if you really wanna fuck up their carry early game :/

My point being: I'm not the best, but I certainly feel like I get matchmaked along/against people that do not have the skill I do. MMR is not enough information to tell one's skill, IMO. If you have an awesome score, LH, items, etc but you lose the game, BOOM, you suck -21 MMR. Doesn't make sense :(

I'm being responsively butthurt admittedly not to your opinions on my ability to play Dota 2; honestly, I don't really care, but instead to your use of "No Offense".  "No offense but...", "I'm not racist but...", "I'm not homophobic but..." generally predicate something that could be offensive, it is not a get out of free card to say what ever you want without consequence or reaction.

"...you're around the 2k mark and only NOW just getting the hang on creep waves?? Again no offence but that's horrid"

"...you're around the 2k mark and only NOW..." you chose to capitalize the word "now" which in this context suggests shock or surprise at the idea that one can play for so long and only now learn an aspect to a game, this is fine, I would have read your comment and forgotten it as quickly but your use of "No offense" suggests that offense could be taken from this statement and may have prompted me to press you on it.

"...Again no offence but that's horrid" This makes it no longer necessary for me to prompt you on it because you've already answered why you are surprised by my performance in this game, your shock is due to my horrid ability.

Unless I'm wrong, how in this context is this statement not offensive? How is stating "You are doing a horrid job." not supposed to offend?

"

You are wrong, Me stating that before hand means what im about to say or type etc isn't actually said in an offensive manner, usually because it's a pretty factual observation or a statement of fact. You taking 2k hrs to nail the basics on dota is like commenting on the Battlefield forums that it's taken nearly 500 hours to learn how to aim down sight properly. Everyone would be like "umm lol? just how bad are you" or "yeah nice try troll". 

But yeah, it's most likely what  i said earlier and you don't quite get how we over here interact day to day, or you're just easily offended.

You are wrong, Me stating that before hand means what im about to say or type etc isn't actually said in an offensive manner, usually because it's a pretty factual observation or a statement of fact. You taking 2k hrs to nail the basics on dota is like commenting on the Battlefield forums that it's taken nearly 500 hours to learn how to aim down sight properly. Everyone would be like "umm lol? just how bad are you" or "yeah nice try troll". 

But yeah, it's most likely what  i said earlier and you don't quite get how we over here interact day to day, or you're just easily offended.

Actually it's more like CSS strafe jump, It's something that if you had not seen you would not know it was a part of the game.

Actually it's more like CSS strafe jump, It's something that if you had not seen you would not know it was a part of the game.

Yes i can totally see how the basics of a game is likened to a trick you learn while playing the game. Totally.

Yes i can totally see how the basics of a game is likened to a trick you learn while playing the game. Totally.

Yes because pulling creeps into the neutral creep camp isn't a trick you learn while playing the game. Totally.

Denying creeps and last hitting are basics of creep control.

Yes because pulling creeps into the neutral creep camp isn't a trick you learn while playing the game. Totally.

Denying creeps and last hitting are basics of creep control. So is pulling creeps

CCS Strafe jumping isn't a key game play element. Pretty sure if you look up how to play CCS it doesn't bring up how to strafe jump, it's not inergal. Do the same for dota2 and you'll get lane control (creep denying, last hitting etc), jungling (pulling camps, ward placement yadda yadda) ALL there with a quick google search. Stop being obtuse.

CCS Strafe jumping isn't a key game play element. Pretty sure if you look up how to play CCS it doesn't bring up how to strafe jump, it's not inergal. Do the same for dota2 and you'll get lane control (creep denying, last hitting etc), jungling (pulling camps, ward placement yadda yadda) ALL there with a quick google search. Stop being obtuse.

If it's so inergal...I don't think that's a word but i suspect its supposed to mean necessary, if its so necessary then why in 500 games have I not seen anyone do it? One, I've been busy playing the basics of lane control to notice or two, people just don't often do it, because it's not necessary unless you're opponent is 1 in lane one in the jungle and hugging their tower early game your creeps are pushing to hard because they're not pushing back so you gotta pull your creeps back then it is necessary just as walking, running and crouching will get you though most games of CSS some times you gotta get outta dodge much faster than either of these will allow and it's good to know that there is a more effective way of moving.

If it's so inergal...I don't think that's a word but i suspect its supposed to mean necessary, if its so necessary then why in 500 games have I not seen anyone do it? One, I've been busy playing the basics of lane control to notice or two, people just don't often do it, because it's not necessary unless you're opponent is 1 in lane one in the jungle and hugging their tower early game your creeps are pushing to hard because they're not pushing back so you gotta pull your creeps back then it is necessary just as walking, running and crouching will get you though most games of CSS some times you gotta get outta dodge much faster than either of these will allow and it's good to know that there is a more effective way of moving.

Yeah... misspelled integral, my bad. But in 500 games? Highly doubt that, and (if you googled as i said) it's mainly the supports job to the pulling in the "safe lane" or they can let the creeps go and stack camps so either the jungler or carry can farm them. If your creeps are pushing too hard your either auto attacking and pushing the lane or using heros with certain aura's that help your creeps push better. All the information you require about the game is out there. Blindly jumping in to play the game without finding out about different elements of the game, mentioning about your lack of knowledge of said mechanics that are pretty basic things then get offended when commented on..... it's pretty much setting urself up. Boggles the mind.