To Kraken G10, or not to Kraken G10...?

That is the question.  But yes, I have been thinking about liquid cooling my EVGA Superclocked GTX Geforce 780 Ti and was curious about a couple things, and figured you guys were the best people to ask, as usual.  Firstly, what are your thoughts on the Kraken G10?  I have heard of some pretty incredible performance increases, so I am very tempted to get one, and I like the idea of my GPU not running hot.  Secondly, let's say I do get the G10, then what cooler should I get for it?  I kind of want to stick with NZXT, considering my entire build is NZXT, kinda, my case is an H440, so I would like to stick with NZXT.  So that means I am basically picking either an x40 or x60.  Now, ideally I would get an x60, better cooling at a quieter level.  But I was wondering where I would put this in my case, and if I did, would I have room for an x40 for my CPU (i5 4670k @ 4.4 Ghz.)?  I'm sure as you guys reply I will come up with more questions, so please try and stick with me.  Thanks!

EDIT: Also, how much maintenance is involved when you own a water cooler? I am new to this mystical part of the forum, so don't flame me for being an idiot on this subject.  

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

You can and oc the card. If you get a g10 the x40 is a good cooler. The aio coolers are no maintenance. The x40 is more than enough. Gpu dont give off much heat compared to cpus. A aftermarket aircooler is great option for less money which you have.

Now, let's say I wanted a quieter fan for the x40, what would you suggest? Also, I hear that the Kraken G10 doesn't do an adequate job in cooling the VRM. 

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

The VRM will be cooled fine unless you push it very hard.

I run a G10 w/ H75 on my 780 Ti SC, and the most strenuous tasks I have put it up to so far are running Watchdogs maxed out and Furmark on 720 burn-in. In those cases, my max GPU/VRM temps were 53/73 and 50/80 respectively.

I have heatsinks for the VRM and VRAM on order, but as of now I am not too concerned with those bare temps as I feel they are both probably lower than the stock-cooler-produced temps on both ends, but I could be wrong. -The VRM temps were taken with an infrared sensor on the backside of the card btw.

Corsair C70 case - i7 4790k - Corsair H100i - Asus Maximus Hero VII - EVGA 780 Ti SC x2 SLI - Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Seagate HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM - Corsair RM1000 PSU - Asus VG248QE - Logitech G700s Mouse<p>MSI GT60 0NE-403US Laptop - i7 3630QM - GTX 680M 4GB - Toshiba 128GB SSD - 750GB HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM

if you can take care of the vram and vrms,go for the G10.

I'm maxing around 50C with stock fan on 30%,

I'm hoping that in winter i'd get around 35C,after i switch to a Noctua F12 push&pull setup

I can't stand the G10. It's the wrong way to do the right thing. I get the AIO coolers are competent enough to cool a GPU, but it's just cheap to me. If you also have to buy an AIO cooler on top of the G10, I'd just save a little extra money and get a dedicated gpu block, cheap ddc pump like the ek 2.0, small res, decent rad, and make a small custom loop out of it. It will undoubtedly perform better, and be of much higher quality. 

• CPU : i7-4770k, Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Gene, RAM: 16gb G-Skill Sniper 1866, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII, Case: Corsair 350D, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & Seagate 1TB HDD, PSU: Seasonic 860w Platinum, Monitor: ASUS VN-247P, CPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop, Mouse: Steel Series Sensai Raw, Sounds: Vmoda Crossfade LP

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112285-slightly-smaller-just-as-baller/

I can't stand the G10. It's the wrong way to do the right thing. I get the AIO coolers are competent enough to cool a GPU, but it's just cheap to me. If you also have to buy an AIO cooler on top of the G10, I'd just save a little extra money and get a dedicated gpu block, cheap ddc pump like the ek 2.0, small res, decent rad, and make a small custom loop out of it. It will undoubtedly perform better, and be of much higher quality. 

not everybody has the space in their chassis to do that,or a store that they can buy all this stuff from.

not everybody has the space in their chassis to do that,or a store that they can buy all this stuff from.

Then you shouldn't be worried about spending money watercooling your gpu, and should buy a case that isnt a hunk of crap. And we all have the internet. Plenty of places like frozencpu, performance-pcs, etc that sell all you'd need in terms of watercooling

• CPU : i7-4770k, Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Gene, RAM: 16gb G-Skill Sniper 1866, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII, Case: Corsair 350D, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & Seagate 1TB HDD, PSU: Seasonic 860w Platinum, Monitor: ASUS VN-247P, CPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling Loop, Mouse: Steel Series Sensai Raw, Sounds: Vmoda Crossfade LP

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112285-slightly-smaller-just-as-baller/

Then you shouldn't be worried about spending money watercooling your gpu, and should buy a case that isnt a hunk of crap. And we all have the internet. Plenty of places like frozencpu, performance-pcs, etc that sell all you'd need in terms of watercooling

why not?you don't need a good case to water cool your cpu and gpu and have good temps.

and not everybody has a credit card.

why not?you don't need a good case to water cool your cpu and gpu and have good temps.

and not everybody has a credit card.

becuase its a crappy prioritization. and using using a G10, to me, isnt even really watercooling. Just like using AIO's don't really count in my mind. IMO, you either do it all correct, or dont do it at all. 

becuase its a crappy prioritization. and using using a G10, to me, isnt even really watercooling. Just like using AIO's don't really count in my mind. IMO, you either do it all correct, or dont do it at all. 

i can't agree with this guy more. If you don't have a credit card or paypal, you shouldn't be dropping money on a 780 ti. And where did you get the 780 ti. They would have watercooling stuff. Also if you buy a crappy case and a $700 GPU you're just not building it right. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

i can't agree with this guy more. If you don't have a credit card or paypal, you shouldn't be dropping money on a 780 ti. And where did you get the 780 ti. They would have watercooling stuff. Also if you buy a crappy case and a $700 GPU you're just not building it right. 

That's the beauty of building your own rig, you build it however YOU want, not the way someone else would. 

What's that saying again, "There's more than one way to skin a cat"? Well, this is one way, whether your opinion agrees with it or not.

Corsair C70 case - i7 4790k - Corsair H100i - Asus Maximus Hero VII - EVGA 780 Ti SC x2 SLI - Samsung 250GB SSD - 2TB Seagate HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM - Corsair RM1000 PSU - Asus VG248QE - Logitech G700s Mouse<p>MSI GT60 0NE-403US Laptop - i7 3630QM - GTX 680M 4GB - Toshiba 128GB SSD - 750GB HHD - Corsair Vengeance 32GB RAM

That's the beauty of building your own rig, you build it however YOU want, not the way someone else would. 

What's that saying again, "There's more than one way to skin a cat"? Well, this is one way, whether your opinion agrees with it or not.

Yep. More than one way to do it, but only one way is ideal. Not doing it that way is fine; not wasting any time/money/effort but your own.

Yea but someways are stupid.... I could buy a pentium and a titan Z. It's just stupid.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Alright, let's all calm down. Firstly, the H440 isn't a piece of crap, second, I would be getting an AIO until I am at a permanent residence and would be able to set up my own loop, I'm a college student. So, without flaming one another, let's agree to disagree. I understand BOTH sides, because I am on BOTH sides.

Project Insomnia

Yea but someways are stupid.... I could buy a pentium and a titan Z. It's just stupid.

I'm cooling my gpu and getting lower temps and better performance at a fraction of the cost of a real liquid cooling system. How is that stupid?

I don't understand how some will preach their own opinion as if it's fact...

Alright, let's all calm down. Firstly, the H440 isn't a piece of crap, second, I would be getting an AIO until I am at a permanent residence and would be able to set up my own loop, I'm a college student. So, without flaming one another, let's agree to disagree. I understand BOTH sides, because I am on BOTH sides.

H440 is a great case. My comment was directed at the individual claiming some of us might not have nice cases.

Also, there is no harm in making a custom loop as a college student. I have one. I'm in school, and bring my computer home a few times a year. No issues at all

It's understandable to be upset about something like this if you took the time to build a custom loop, because you spent the money and took the time to make a custom implementation into your build. Nobody likes knowing that anyone can just buy a AIO and consider their case watercooled. It's like putting a Corvette engine into a piece of crap car, yeah, your car goes fast, and it's way cheaper, but it's not a Corvette, and you won't be allowed to participate in a Corvette museum. Long story short, short cuts aren't appreciated by enthusiasts. That's what makes enthusiasts, enthusiasts. But, in this era, we are given short cuts that just plain work well, and shouldn't be given flack for it.

Project Insomnia

It's understandable to be upset about something like this if you took the time to build a custom loop, because you spent the money and took the time to make a custom implementation into your build. Nobody likes knowing that anyone can just buy a AIO and consider their case watercooled. It's like putting a Corvette engine into a piece of crap car, yeah, your car goes fast, and it's way cheaper, but it's not a Corvette, and you won't be allowed to participate in a Corvette museum. Long story short, short cuts aren't appreciated by enthusiasts. That's what makes enthusiasts, enthusiasts. But, in this era, we are given short cuts that just plain work well, and shouldn't be given flack for it.

Fair enough statement

I'm cooling my gpu and getting lower temps and better performance at a fraction of the cost of a real liquid cooling system. How is that stupid?

I don't understand how some will preach their own opinion as if it's fact...

I wasn't referring to the G10. I was referring to the bad case and the powerful system. Been a long day and I hadn't been on this thread in a while. I thought he has like a 230t and a 780 ti. Been a long day

@JDS so the conclusion would be that you would buy an AIO, but you still didn't get an answer on wich one you would exactly need?

these useless rants are always so helpfull -_-

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

@JDS so the conclusion would be that you would buy an AIO, but you still didn't get an answer on wich one you would exactly need?

these useless rants are always so helpfull -_-

Yes, but I think I'm gonna go with the Kraken x40, then later on I'll buy an x60 and switch the x60 to the GPU and put the x40 on the CPU.

Project Insomnia

Yes, but I think I'm gonna go with the Kraken x40, then later on I'll buy an x60 and switch the x60 to the GPU and put the x40 on the CPU.

doesn't the cpu need more cooling than the gpu? i tought you better would put the x60 on the cpu, and the x40 on the gpu (correct me if im wrong)

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

doesn't the cpu need more cooling than the gpu? i tought you better would put the x60 on the cpu, and the x40 on the gpu (correct me if im wrong)

I agree, the cpu usually warrants the better of the two.

JDS- What's on your CPU now?

FWIW, one article stated "the tubing on the Kraken X40 is 4 inches longer than most other closed loop coolers" (I assume the same could be said for the x60) so depending on your case config and the distance between the block and rad you need, it sounds like the x40 would be a good choice as to avoid hose length issues easier. http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/NZXT-Kraken-G10-Review-527/

I agree, the cpu usually warrants the better of the two.

JDS- What's on your CPU now?

FWIW, one article stated "the tubing on the Kraken X40 is 4 inches longer than most other closed loop coolers" (I assume the same could be said for the x60) so depending on your case config and the distance between the block and rad you need, it sounds like the x40 would be a good choice as to avoid hose length issues easier. http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/NZXT-Kraken-G10-Review-527/

I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo on my i5 4670K.  It seems to be doing a wonderful job.  I probably should put the x60 on the CPU once I get it.  Also, I see that you have a G10 on the exact same card that I own.  What are your thoughts on it?

Project Insomnia