Kingston V300 - no TRIM + it is very fragmented

Formhault

Alright guys. Again, the title says it all.

I purchased a Kingston V300 SSD Now on Black Friday (120 GB variant, back when, it was the price that it is today, lol). My system is a very old one (Asus M2N-X motherboard, some AMD dual core CPU coupled with 2 gigs of RAM which barely can handle Chrome and all that good stuff), so, despite the fact that my motherboard only has SATA2, I figured hey, this will make it faster ANYWAY. Which it did, of course.

But... there's a problem. Recently, I discovered that this SSD has no TRIM support - which, programs like Hard Disk Sentinel, confirm.

I use Defraggler to defragment my hard drive (two partitions on it), and I know one must not defragment an SSD. But hey, I just analyzed the drive with Defraggler and saw that 32 GB (43% of the used space) is fragmented! I reckon this is due to TRIM being off...

My question is... How can I turn TRIM on? Is it possile...? Thanks in advance.

----------

Oh, for what it's worth, the drive is in AHCI mode, if I remember correctly. Also, I'm running Windows 7 x86.

You can't really turn on TRIM if your motherboard and/or SSD don't support. Also...

NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER DEFRAG AN SSD!!!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You can't really turn on TRIM if your motherboard and/or SSD don't support. Also...

why may i ask

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

why may i ask

When you defrag an SSD you're erasing and rewriting a TON of cells, which in NOT good for the lifespan of the SSD.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

When you defrag an SSD you're erasing and rewriting a TON of cells, which in NOT good for the lifespan of the SSD.

oh ok

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Try not to fill your ssd more than 70% full. And just leave your system on idle at the login screen or desktop with no running background programs, for the ssd's Garbage Collection to work it's magic. The longer the better for it to work imo.

tmcclelland455, on 31 May 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

I agree with the lifespan part but it's not like one will surely break his ssd if he defrags it. Although i think it is best to use the word like 'highly' or 'strongly' not recommended to defrag an ssd. He can start by disabling the auto defrag scheduler in Windows.

The way I understand it trim =/= defrag. SSDs don't need defragmenting and defrag actually hurts their lifespan. Don't take the defragger's results into consideration, they are meaningless on ssds. As for trim, Kingston should have released a firmware update which allows its older drives to use the trim command. Not sure where you can get it though (try on kingston's website I guess).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wasn't gonna defrag, chill :P.

My motherboard is old. I'll upgrade, maybe next year, or this year... When I do, will I be able to enable TRIM on this SSD? There should be an option in BIOS for that? :/

Try not to fill your ssd more than 70% full. And just leave your system on idle at the login screen or desktop with no running background programs, for the ssd's Garbage Collection to work it's magic. The longer the better for it to work imo.

I thought TRIM = Garbage Collection?

I wasn't gonna defrag, chill :P.

My motherboard is old. I'll upgrade, maybe next year, or this year... When I do, will I be able to enable TRIM on this SSD? There should be an option in BIOS for that? :/

Yeah, you should be able to do it. And it should be in the BIOS somewhere.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

So, that's for when I upgrade my system, alright...

In the meantime, the SSD is so fragmented (as Defraggler shows) due to TRIM being disabled? I don't have any intentions to defrag the SSD (wtf), but I'm just asking...

----------

I just checked in cmd with "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" and TRIM appears to be enabled. Even so, Hard Disk Sentinel reports that "The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported but disabled".

In the meantime, the SSD is so fragmented (as Defraggler shows) due to TRIM being disabled? I don't have any intentions to defrag the SSD (wtf), but I'm just asking...

Honestly, I forgot what TRIM does, but I know it's nice. Thankfully, my EVO never really can get fragmented (kinda), since:

a. Linux

b. Now that I have everything on it that I need, the only stuff that really gets put on are new songs, wallpapers, and temporary files (along with updates).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

----------

I just checked in cmd with "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" and TRIM appears to be enabled. Even so, Hard Disk Sentinel reports that "The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported but disabled".

The SSD is fragmented because that is how they work, Solid drives doesn't need to wait for any discs to spin or the reading arm to reach a position, so they just dump data on the first available cell, it doesn't hurt their performance or slow them down in anyway.

In a normal mechanical drive you want the data to be as close as possible to reduce the amount of movements necessary to read all the parts of a file, that is why we use defrag on them, but this is not a problem for SSD.

Also:  A Trim command (commonly typeset as TRIM) allows an operating system to inform a solid state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally.   So basically is just a way to tell the SSD to empty the trash can to free up some cells that are no longer used to store relevant data.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

The SSD is fragmented because that is how they work, Solid drives doesn't need to wait for any discs to spin or the reading arm to reach a position, so they just dump data on the first available cell, it doesn't hurt their performance or slow them down in anyway.

In a normal mechanical drive you want the data to be as close as possible to reduce the amount of movements necessary to read all the parts of a file, that is why we use defrag on them, but this is not a problem for SSD.

Also:  A Trim command (commonly typeset as TRIM) allows an operating system to inform a solid state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally.   So basically is just a way to tell the SSD to empty the trash can to free up some cells that are no longer used to store relevant data.

Oh, yeah! Right! Defragmenting = moving stuff closer to the middle of the disk, so it is more easily accessible. Or something like that.

That's why it's not useful on SSDs. Funny, though, how Defraggler gives the user the option to show or hide SSD drives. It should outwright hide them!

So... do I need TRIM or not? I mean I heard various opinions on other forums. TRIM sucks, Garbage Collector for the win (or vice-versa)... GC is needed, TRIM is not... GC is needed, but without TRIM the SSD will get worn out faster... -.-

Honestly, I forgot what TRIM does, but I know it's nice. Thankfully, my EVO never really can get fragmented (kinda), since:

a. Linux

b. Now that I have everything on it that I need, the only stuff that really gets put on are new songs, wallpapers, and temporary files (along with updates).

a. of course, EXT4 (or whatever it is that Linux uses nowadays) for the win.

b. that's not a valid reason lol

a. of course, EXT4 (or whatever it is that Linux uses nowadays) for the win.

b. that's not a valid reason lol

a. EXT4, yes. It is awesome.

b. Kinda is. Not moving and deleting a ton of files. Depends on what you think.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

This is what my BIOS currently offers me in terms of storage devices management. Files are too big, so here are the photos : #1 and #2.

Obviously, at the time my motherboard was manufactured, TRIM wasn't even a concept yet, lol.

a. EXT4, yes. It is awesome.

b. Kinda is. Not moving and deleting a ton of files. Depends on what you think.

a. I know, my phone has it :P. But now, it seems the trend is shifting towards F2FS.

b. Oh, that's right :P

I would have more contact with EXT4, not crappy NTFS, but I don't really Linux. Maybe some day... :D

This is what my BIOS currently offers me in terms of storage devices management. Files are too big, so here are the photos : #1 and #2.

Obviously, at the time my motherboard was manufactured, TRIM wasn't even a concept yet, lol.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything even remotely similar to TRIM in there. :(

Don't feel bad. My netbook doesn't have TRIM functionality either.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Yeah, I don't think there's anything even remotely similar to TRIM in there. :(

Don't feel bad. My netbook doesn't have TRIM functionality either.

Speaking of netbooks... My girlfriend's Sony Vaio (3 years old) has SATA 1. That's 1.5 Gbps. And there are people throwing SSDs in such laptops. Lol.

So yeah, I don't feel bad. But sometimes, I cry myself to sleep, thinking of Asus Sabertooth.... lmao.

Speaking of netbooks... My girlfriend's Sony Vaio (3 years old) has SATA 1. That's 1.5 Gbps. And there are people throwing SSDs in such laptops. Lol.

So yeah, I don't feel bad. But sometimes, I cry myself to sleep, thinking of Asus Sabertooth.... lmao.

Saberttoth = Pretty

At least my netbook is SATA 2, but my  EVO gets bottlenecked at around 140MB/s on the reads. Still a TON faster than the HDD it used to have.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Saberttoth = Pretty

At least my netbook is SATA 2, but my  EVO get's bottlenecked at around 140MB/s on the reads. Still a TON faster than the HDD it used to have.

The Sabertooth is what I want to upgrade to. And a FX-6300. Or one of those new Z97 boards with a more expensive Intel Core i5... at least the boards are better, lol.

And yeah, my SSD is capped at around 90 MB/s, I guess. Still, a lot faster than my HDD.

The Sabertooth is what I want to upgrade to. And a FX-6300. Or one of those new Z97 boards with a more expensive Intel Core i5... at least the boards are better, lol.

And yeah, my SSD is capped at around 90 MB/s, I guess. Still, a lot faster than my HDD.

Never thought my netbook would be better than someone else's PC... In anything. :huh:

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Never thought my netbook would be better than someone else's PC... In anything. :huh:

8 years old PC...

The only two things good in my system are the SSD and the graphics (4670 HD, 512 MB DDR3 - the 1 GB variant was just $1 more, but nowhere to be found... that grinds my gears).