Desk Build: Monolith - Big Green Powerful Machine!

Hey there peeps!

Complete Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/xKauZ#0

(the photos do get better)

This log is for my Desk build. I started building in February shortly after the forum was created when I decided I HAD to try be featured on the Livestream. Was originally thinking of building a small cube case from scratch but it didn’t take me long to change to a desk build when I was having trouble drawing up sketches because I didn’t have enough desk space to work on! I built my current desk in high school with built in 2.1 speakers to suit a laptop but is far too cramped for me now days.

Here is what I'm up too ATM

RmGImtI.jpg

Learning of the L3p Desk was the final inspiration to kick me into gear! It was a beautiful piece of art, absolutely impractical for my situation, but beautiful & inspiring none the less.

Through this whole forum iv been inspired and gained knowlege and ideas, from other PC & desk builds, case modding section and everywhere, many of which iv implemented. This is an awesome forum, love this community!

The Monolith Has been designed for MY needs. I need more desk space, a fileing cabinet, more drawers and an awesome looking PC! Its also designed to house everything I could ever want in my computer with excessive watercooling along with working space & considerable storage. While I’ve done some modding to my Ute, the only PC modding I’ve done is adding a switch for cathodes to my front panel, haven't even touched custom water cooling in my life. IV delayed posting until now, but I’m confident with my skillz & the help of the forum I will finish this build.

I think I’ll be naming it the Monolith for 2 main reasons. 1st its Freeking huge and cumbersome like the Necron Monolith from Dawn of War Dark Crusade but wreck balls when it gets there! DOW-DC was the first Computer game I ever got stuck into as a kid and once built I intend this to be a beast of a machine once funds allow it. Also the intended colour scheme is much like the monolith, Black with epic Green throbbing all through it. I love Green, it’s my favourite colour. =D Monolith also sounds epic!

It wont be completed for quite some time with the water cooling coming later down the road. It’s designed to fit two Nexxxos Monsta 480 Rads in push pull & 2 regular 240 rads off the bat along with a few other mounting options. End result will be along the lines of dual GPU's, SSD's, sound card, capture card, all of the ram & everything thoroughly watercooled, and lit up like a stylish Christmas tree. It’s just a matter of cash determining when this happens.

I have chosen to build the desk from wood, basically because that’s what I can work with. I’m an apprentice builder and have the tools for woodworking and I want this to be as much done by me as possible, so laser cutting was not a viable option. I’m using MDF because I knew I’d be painting it, it’s cheap, easy to obtain whenever required & easy to work with. It is however heavy, dusty & not the most durable. In hind sight I wish I chose a different timber but I’m soldering on none the less.

Here is where im up to ATM. The desk is constructed, just waiting on a few little tings to finish it off and bring it inside from the shed with computer bits (orgasmick computer bits) hopefully ariving this week! So keep tuned!

All the photos I take are uploaded to an Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/xKauZ#0

This includes everything involved in the process that I photograph such as testing, painting, cutting, construction and products. I will post what I feel the most important and relevant on this thread but it’s all there for whoever wants it along with individual photo descriptions. Photos are takes with an IPhone 4 to begin with but from now on with a HTC One. I also intend to borrow a decent camera at some point for some decent shots, maybe even a pro photo shoot once I’m done.

Le saw bench, Inspited by Linus Ghetto Tips :)

W15sNQq.jpg

The MB tray

DM13BQI.jpg

First construction

LyrOpF0.jpg

Rebating

7qcuuSu.jpg

Mock up

CHufybY.jpg

Fan cutouts

BBP0gRp.jpg

How the MB tray Fits, cables are layed under the tray.

chbHhwP.jpg?1

Green stuff will be UV

thFep5S.jpg

Front pannel cutout & frame constructed

nR2xPmx.jpg

JWRX55m.jpg

Power & Led button

vg19TwG.jpg

Cutting in the primer

8gZ8UGK.jpg

All primed

IwHNDpd.jpg

Blaaaaaack

X938K9T.jpg

Checkerplate back plate for mounting Rads & PSU

CT2TRoG.jpg

gekhaKz.jpg

Constructing drawers

zcfkmQr.jpg

PQ9gsjT.jpg

Fileing Drawer

Cj6SPG5.jpg

HTC One Begins here...

XMFWhoq.jpg

fB3olE0.jpg

Drawers are Fitted. Theyre unpainted because im not sure what colour im going to do them, they can be taken out and painted later.

XBQr2mU.jpg

Began setting out drawer faces

1ACCDyu.jpg

So this is what im up to so far. This is a few months work so progress is slow. Ill update when iv got a decent chunk more work to showoff.

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

Looks great!

Good to see more desk bulds coming about

Your Filing draw looks exactly like the one I made for my desk ;)

Looks great!

Good to see more desk bulds coming about

Your Filing draw looks exactly like the one I made for my desk ;)

YES! I was going to use L bracket as runners but after seeing yours the rod looked much better. I hope we can all learn from each other!

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w

Nice work so far I look forward to seeing more :) and like you said mate I'm sure all of us that have gone down the desk path can all learn from each others builds

Needs to see moar!

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Definitely looks interesting :D subbed.

Brilliant, what good is a beautiful computer if you haven't a beautiful desk to pair it with? Keep up the good work.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

YES! I was going to use L bracket as runners but after seeing yours the rod looked much better. I hope we can all learn from each other!

Yeah, the rod works as a great runner!

And yes. Learning from each other is good  ^_^

I'm liking these desk builds they look awesome nice job man pumped to see more :P

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

I wish i did that. its so cool

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

MOAR!!!

I love custom desks, I don't even know why, I just wanna get in them drawers. 

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

• 2 months later...

OK! So i havnt updated this for like 2 months. Its been incredibly slow progress in my spare time but this will be a reasonably large update. Iv nearly finished the desk construction & painting. I hope to order hardware sometime soon.

So i found a slab of laminated pine for the top. Couldnt be bothered joining and finishing planks to make my own. I was at TAFE that day so I cut it to size while i was there. 2010x670

IgIkJV1.jpg

Was finally able to pick up my glass too.

uHRnlkr.jpg

Bought a Slotting router bit to make the rebate for my front glass to sit into. It was 4mm while the glass 6mm so i had to make 2 passes.

wyxWlZz.jpg

Very happy with front window

ZOWsTRf.jpg

This is how i work once the sun goes down

PLE8DEJ.jpg

Chamfered around the edges of the drawer faces with the router, used a dremel & sander to chamfer around the front glass because the slot interfered with using the router.

I did hand sand this smoother, just diddnt get a better pic

HSsD8Tr.jpg

kVKZO4O.jpg

Made the work space that slides out on the left but gluing 2 pieces of MDF together to make the right thisckness, chamfered the edges as well.

ypnX7EC.jpg

Started working on the slide out workspace. Im finishing it the same as the top with the crackle finish & glass coat so this will work as a practice piece.

Primed it the taped off what i diddnt want green

3Uaqr3S.jpg

Made it green

4576YUj.jpg

Under UV light! SWEET!

Qv7vZOo.jpg

g9dRDKZ.jpg

Taped off the chamfers & applied the crackle coat

lq5DFPe.jpg

Painted it black with the spray gun.

Imediately afer sprayed

TdM2YbW.jpg

10min later, finished reacting. Not the exact pattern i wanted, will have to spray it thicker. Will use the otherside as another practice & will hopefully turn out better.

0TycSZC.jpg

Trying it again on the second side. Chamfered the edges, touched up primer, re-taped, greened & crackled the same as the first side. Will spray the black thicker this time.

Imediately after spraying

CKAGOh5.jpg

After 10min

Zdr5lp9.jpg

After 20min, Finished! Need only remove tape & black the remaining edge

xtikpBp.jpg

GLORY SHOTS!!!

3KHVIfT.jpg

Joc7udG.jpg

3K2VrZT.jpg

K76xvLP.jpg

I Now practiced using the Glass coat. Tried on the bad side first and experimented on how it would act on the chamfers by making it differently.

JyB6Ha4.jpg

Once you begin mixing the 2 part glass coat you have around 20min to finish pouring & working it. It must be used on a level work space because it self levels and finished a few mm thick and as hard as glass! Touch dry in 12hours & fully cured in 7days.

The bad side Glasses Heaps shiney :)

sC7ya5m.jpg

Then the Good side Glassed. Turned out MAAAAAAAAAD!

BZE448p.jpg

So ill add another update soon. Most of the construction & painting is finished now, Will just make another post to fill up to where im up too because this one seems to be very long!

Aussie FTW!

looks great!  Love desk builds.

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

OMG Love this build so far. Can't wait for more updates. Subbed!  :D

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Mighty car mods fan? Also what fans are those :).

HAHA Yep! :)

They're Gelid Wings 120 UV Green

Aussie FTW!

Coming together nicely

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.