[Build Log] Blood and Ice - Another Prodigy Build

Bagmup

At this point in time probably the Asus Z97i-Plus and I'm trying to tell myself, all i need is an i5, hard to do when you know theres a perfectly good i7 available. :)

what about an impact? 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

what about an impact? 

The Z97 Impact won't be available until September and i'm sick of waiting. Theres a few stories floating about now of people having all sorts of trouble getting their Devils Canyon cpu's to work on Z87 even after the bios flash. I don't want the hassle.

I'm being inspired to do my own small form factor PC, and I had a question about the case. I know that it doesn't fit two 240 rads natively but can be achieved with some minor modding. Can I run a setup with a single 240 rad though? Or would I need an extra bit like another 240 or 180 in the front?

Check out my Build Log: Project Contrast

I'm being inspired to do my own small form factor PC, and I had a question about the case. I know that it doesn't fit two 240 rads natively but can be achieved with some minor modding. Can I run a setup with a single 240 rad though? Or would I need an extra bit like another 240 or 180 in the front?

I know a 240 will fit in the roof with no modding, I'm not sure what other rads you could run natively.

I don't know if a 120 will go on the back with a 240 in the roof, and you lose your front hdd cages if you mount a rad there. You might fit a 120 in the front and be able to keep the lower 3 hdd cages.

Nice build! I've gotta sub this to see how it turns out.

Great job so far! :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

So I've been super slack the last couple of weeks but the excuse is I'm a broken down mechanic and a couple weeks ago i threw out my back and have been struggling ever since.

Hence I haven't even been to the garage. But i did finally manage to get a motherboard, so i spent today trying to finalise my wiring and finishing up some sleeving. All the while with a hot water bottle strapped to my old back.

No smart arse response needed from you young whipper-snappers.

*Shakes fist at cloud*

Here's what i picked up yesterday.

Asus Z97i Plus.

WD Black 2.5" 750Gb HDD.

Noctua TIM (exciting)

q1hRPTYl.jpg

I'm not going to bother with close ups, because we all know what a motherboard looks like, well some of us do..

But for those that have never handled an MITX board before, here's a size comparison (Yes I own a PS4)

SqJIUCYl.jpg

Welcome home..

ePgjk30l.jpg

Starting to get crowded in here.

G6EmSdIl.jpg

p5ktbqsl.jpg

Space is at a premium inside this thing, so I made my own Sata power cables.

oYWOc51l.jpg

Bonus Pic.

Yep, that's my motherboard inside a gutted fat ps3 case...hmmm  ;)

5gbhdprl.jpg

Anyway, hoping to pick up my CPU this week all going to plan, then i can start on the worm tubing  :P

Thanks for looking.

I actually never understood how small M-ITX is. Looks good!

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

@Bagmup petty console player :P but damn is that a nice looking mobo

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Great sleeving job!

I can't wait to see the rest of it. Oh, and also, that is one (small) great looking motherboard!  :o

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Gotta get me some Metal Gear somehow.  :lol:

actually how come you didn't msi's itx gaming mobo? looks better and has more features

Specs

actually how come you didn't msi's itx gaming mobo? looks better and has more features

Because it's $60 dearer and it's a dirty red/black combo. Fan Xpert for asus  :wub:

Man, you should scrap the prodigy, just build something in the old fatty ps3 case instead :P

Still, the prodigy looks awesome so far, can't wait for more to come.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

seeing that mobo in the gutted fatty ps3 makes me want to see someone mod a ps3 case and put a PC in it with steam OS

seeing that mobo in the gutted fatty ps3 makes me want to see someone mod a ps3 case and put a PC in it with steam OS

Don't worry, i'm thinking about it.

When the missus saw me putting the mobo in it she rolled her eyes haha

@Bagmup

Well now you gotta do it (SteamOS in PS3). I know I would like to see it. :D

I plan to do this to an XBOX original eventually.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

ITS SO CUTE! Haha,

looks good mate, obviously they came through with their 'backorder'?

Yeah, i can't really complain, Umart was $10 cheaper than Pccg and i didn't have to pay postage because i could pick it up from one of their distribution warehouses. And they were open until 3pm on Saturday so i managed to pick it up Saturday arvo, so all good.

Yeah, i can't really complain, Umart was $10 cheaper than Pccg and i didn't have to pay postage because i could pick it up from one of their distribution warehouses. And they were open until 3pm on Saturday so i managed to pick it up Saturday arvo, so all good.

Nice, I can pickup from PCCG on my way home from work if I order from there, sometimes their postage seems way to high ($17 for a keyboard I remember)

I'm currently staring down an mITX system as well, just for HTPC.

Nice, I can pickup from PCCG on my way home from work if I order from there, sometimes their postage seems way to high ($17 for a keyboard I remember)

I'm currently staring down an mITX system as well, just for HTPC.

I saw that, i say do it, you cant waste that watercooled abomination that used to be a gtx 750 :P