[Build Log] Blood and Ice - Another Prodigy Build

Bagmup

Yeah, I sleeved the sata data cables this afternoon actually :D

Pics :)?

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

lookin good. keep it coming!

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Looking good mate!!! Really keen to see both those rads fitted in the case :D. Mine are on their way, I ended up getting a 30mm 280 for the top and 45mm 240 for the front.

I'm thinking i should have done the same, having a 30mm thick rad in the roof would have meant i wouldn't have needed to cut the floor to fit the 240 in the front.

I'll update this with some pics soon. :)

MOARAD...

Silly me, i thought putting a 240mm rad in the front and a 280mm in the roof was going to be just a matter of bolting them in...nope.

LMb7CICl.jpg

Looks simple enough, with the Koolance shroud holding the 280 up, should just bolt in..

e8mLgzFl.jpg

I failed to realise that most normal people use a 30mm thick rad in conjunction with the Koolance shroud, giving you ample space below.

With myself being hardly normal, i thought a 45mm thick rad would be awesome, and it is, but then this happens...

Note - Ive already painted the XSPC rad in this pic.

esGIZ1al.jpg

5PObeTOl.jpg

I had the brainstorm of ghetto mounting the fans one mounting hole up, effectively making the radiator mount a bit lower.

iHPNPX1l.jpg

Unfortunately, with the fans in place, the radiator lines up perfectly with a raised section in the floor where the now removed hard drive cages were.

xBrEI7ul.jpg

PC Case Gear is always open on my iPad these days :P

DORZ986l.jpg

Looks like it's time for surgery again. At first, i wanted to have the fitting at the top when the radiator was mounted, so i cut this first.

KwIh5Tpl.jpg

After mounting both the radiators back in, it was clear that the larger end tank with the fittings was going to have to live at the bottom.

LNCjphil.jpg

Both radiators mounted back in and we have plenty of room now.

Note that the 240 is mounted one hole down in this photo.

dy9Szgyl.jpg

But with a modification to the mounting of the Koolance shroud, it bolts up normally now. 

AyWk3EVl.jpg

I'll take some better photos with both the rads mounted.

Thanks for looking :D

Looks great, I cant wait for more pics!

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Just to update that pic above, all the cables are custom length, made by me to suit the Prodigy :D

Side Panel Window Mod.

One thing the Prodigy lacks is a decent side window so that everyone can see the glory within.. Sure you can buy the factory one but it's kinda on the small size and a window mod is something everyone should try in thier lifetime.

So here goes.

The Prodigy's IO panel being in the side panel is...well, it's stupid, ugly and makes it damn near immpossible to get some decent cable management going on inside when you have two big windows.

So it's gotta go..

6tArSMvl.jpg

AY9nuXEl.jpg

Here's the design i really like instead of just a big square, hides the psu and ugly wiring while allowing you to see the stuff you want to see.

EzjiVm1l.jpg

This is after the inital rough cut with the jigsaw, i have various attachments for my air cutoff tool that makes cleaning up to the edge a breeze, but i still used files to get the final clean up edge.

iDPVSbal.jpg

Using a grind attachment to quickly remove material down to the lines, thank god for compressed air :P

qBD6dGUl.jpg

Pretty much done with the air tools, i'll just go around it with a file to get rid of any tool marks as i'll be painting the edge, not using that godawful rubber edging stuff, looks terrible imo.

Ewdsrmgl.jpg

Bit of a test fit to make sure it all looks ok, I put the sides onto the case a fair bit and made adjustments to the window size as i went along, hence the extra marked lines everywhere.

j7uxfh7l.jpg

Doing the other side took half as long. Infact, i kinda wish i could redo the first side panel as i'm not 100% happy with it.

v5R4oMvl.jpg

Time to mark out some 3mm clear acrylic. 

I chose clear over smoked because i'm going for a stark white/red build, i want it to really pop when you look in.

QS7ty1Jl.jpg

CWog4qjl.jpg

I'm also using button headed allen bolts to hold the acrylic on, being a mechanic, sticking anything on with tape, just doesn't sit right with me :D

You can't even tell there's anything there...

2Tt1ReVl.jpg

KGEL8sSl.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for looking. :)

Just to update that pic above, all the cables are custom length, made by me to suit the Prodigy :D

Side Panel Window Mod.

One thing the Prodigy lacks is a decent side window so that everyone can see the glory within.. Sure you can buy the factory one but it's kinda on the small size and a window mod is something everyone should try in thier lifetime.

So here goes.

The Prodigy's IO panel being in the side panel is...well, it's stupid, ugly and makes it damn near immpossible to get some decent cable management going on inside when you have two big windows.

So it's gotta go..

6tArSMvl.jpg

AY9nuXEl.jpg

Here's the design i really like instead of just a big square, hides the psu and ugly wiring while allowing you to see the stuff you want to see.

EzjiVm1l.jpg

This is after the inital rough cut with the jigsaw, i have various attachments for my air cutoff tool that makes cleaning up to the edge a breeze, but i still used files to get the final clean up edge.

iDPVSbal.jpg

Using a grind attachment to quickly remove material down to the lines, thank god for compressed air :P

qBD6dGUl.jpg

Pretty much done with the air tools, i'll just go around it with a file to get rid of any tool marks as i'll be painting the edge, not using that godawful rubber edging stuff, looks terrible imo.

Ewdsrmgl.jpg

Bit of a test fit to make sure it all looks ok, I put the sides onto the case a fair bit and made adjustments to the window size as i went along, hence the extra marked lines everywhere.

j7uxfh7l.jpg

Doing the other side took half as long. Infact, i kinda wish i could redo the first side panel as i'm not 100% happy with it.

v5R4oMvl.jpg

Time to mark out some 3mm clear acrylic. 

I chose clear over smoked because i'm going for a stark white/red build, i want it to really pop when you look in.

QS7ty1Jl.jpg

CWog4qjl.jpg

I'm also using button headed allen bolts to hold the acrylic on, being a mechanic, sticking anything on with tape, just doesn't sit right with me :D

You can't even tell there's anything there...

2Tt1ReVl.jpg

KGEL8sSl.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for looking. :)

soooooo pretty Edited by alpenwasser
long quote, spoilers

@Dist0ur Try not to copy the entire post, since it makes scrolling a pain in the butt.

Looks amazing so far as regards to looks!  It'll look great with some hardware in that baby  :D

Thanks for the comments everyone, I was worried no one would comment at all :D

Power/Reset Button Relocation.

As you saw in the last update, the inclusion of two big windows means the loss of the ugly side panel IO.

So we need to turn this thing on somehow and i never use the front IO audio or USB so they were deleted for cleanliness.

Sorry for recycling pictures, but just a reminder on what we started out with.

Big and ugly...so ugly.

6tArSMvl.jpg

The switch and all the other connections are all on a single PCB, but fortunately, they are all separate so it was pretty easy to just lop off the un-needed gear.

Because the case is so small and easy to reach, no matter where it is on your desk, i decided to move the start/reset switch to the right hand rear of the case so that i was close to the front panel connection on the motherboard.

I was being lazy this day, no tape, drawing straight onto the case, no matter, I'm repainting the case anyway :)

74pGCKql.jpg

After the initial cut, fits like a glove :D

oVNvYjPl.jpg

Final fitting, looks like it made that way...right?

iTzjEx1l.jpg

Gratuitous ass shot.. I'll shorten and sleeve the cable after the motherboard is firstly chosen, then purchased.

DO1oUTtl.jpg

Thanks for looking.  :ph34r:

*totally isn't lurking and following this build* 

:P looks good mang 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

*totally isn't lurking and following this build* 

:P looks good mang

Cheers mate, I'm starting to get a bit antsy and want to finish it before Sniper Elite V3 is released.

Currently waiting for a delivery from Frozen cpu and release date for DC in Aus.

Thanks mate, how's that fallout theme going? That's what I really want to see :D

Still waiting for my PerformancePCs order. It arrived on the Gold Coast today but due to the public holiday yesterday they had heaps of deliveries and my estimated delivery is tomorrow, even though it got here this morning they said they can only deliver it tomorrow :(. It's all good tho. I did an all nighter last night, watched all the E3 press conferences and studied for finals in between :D. Would have been too tired to do anything if it arrived today. I will probably post an update with all the parts tomorrow and try and test out those pumps. Though modding will have to wait till next week, I have way too much to study :(

SIMPLE MODZ

VAULT BOY - A Fallout inspired build  (Featured Build - December 2014) - GREEN MOLECULE - TOXIC CHROME - PARVUM FORMULA

I forgot i took this picture..

The Giggy 290 was an Ebay purchase (So many AMD bargains on there now that mining is dead or dying)

I needed to make sure it worked, i still had my old motherboard with the FX6300 sitting in it, so i thought, why not.

Had it loop Valley benchmark for a few hours to make sure everything was ok.

Then i thought...who needs a fancy case anyway @TheNinjaNextDor :P

r946yc3l.jpg

Update!!  :D

Prodigy Case Feet Mod..

I'm a big fan of the Prodigy and it's look...kinda. I like the Apple inspired handles, but only on the top, I'm not a fan of having the same thing on the bottom.

​Especially when you hear stories of the bottom feet breaking under the weight and being a bit wobbly...no one wants that with all their precious and very expensive hardware inside. 

So off they come and i mounted on a set of $5 specials from Jaycar. The fancy after market ones you see look real nice but $40? Nope.

Because I'm rough as guts, i didn't even spend 5hrs carefully measuring the position of the feet or use a CAD program like is so common it seems in the build logs. This is all eyeball measurement job :P

hyqK6cfl.jpg

HpDrsz1l.jpg

Apparently i didn't take any photos of me drilling holes or mounting the bolts...probably because thats boring as bat shit. :)

K4O3UCol.jpg

wDRkOuTl.jpg

Across the bottom of the Prodigy case, there are mounting holes that support the weight and position the standard foot, i wanted to cover them over, I found some left over acrylic, looked at my newly purchased heatgun and though...Yeah, lets bang something up.

rfV3ljhl.jpg

wD3qN7pl.jpg?1

Used a couple 4mm button headed bolts to mount it.

Qd0DHZwl.jpg

xyEOp88l.jpg

Apply a bit of heat and use the case itself as the mould and viola.

EzWEZJal.jpg

I painted them black on the inside so that it kind of looks opaque? Probably the wrong word.

ZumqkZCl.jpg

0z51zxVl.jpg

Izk881xl.jpg

Anyway, tell me what you think, I'm not sure if I'm 100% sold on the black yet.

Maybe white acrylic would be better?

Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment. :)