[AMD @ Computex] "So Far Ahead Of Its Time That We're Launching It At The Edge Of Space"

I don't really see the point of a more powerful APU if we don't have DDR4 deployment across the board. Even the previous generation APUs are all so obviously bottlenecked by the data throughput rate of DDR3 memory (with performance increasing almost linearly when you increase the speed of the RAM).

Of course, the "ahead of its time" may well refer to DDR4 memory, but that is going to be well out of the price-range of somebody that can't afford a dedicated GPU for at least a year after its adoption in consumer products.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Sigh...

Let's be honest, none of us were excited anyways. Plain and simple marketing for the hype, maybe I'm getting "old" but I don't get "hyped" by these marketing ads anymore. 

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

OMG THEY CHANGED THE SOURCE CODE TO "Don't be so impatient" TROLLS I TELL YOU! Hahahahaha :')

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

AMD really draws wood over APUs whereas Intel just shoves in whatever integrated solution they don't give a shit about and fully expect anyone serious about gaming to already blow 150-250 on a card.

I trust Intels mentality a lot more.

Who the hell actually halfway games and makes use of a APU. Honestly. All or none.

A graphics card so overpowered that you will need the infinite coldness of space to cool it.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

R9 290X based on GlobalFoundries improved silicon current leakage reduction + High Bandwidth Memory?

unlikely they are apparently on 14nm finFet which isnt ready yet

"14nm" is actually just 20nm with FinFets.

It could be early demos of the Excavator based Carrizo APU with quad channel DDR4, I'm not sure what they can do with the Kaveri chip now to improve it to the point of being called "AMDs most advanced APU ever". If it's just the mobile APUs then that's pretty lame and misleading of AMD but I'm hoping it could be actual desktop FX APUs (hence the FX logo in one of the thumbnail images pulled from the site). AMD could be bring HSA to the performance market for AMD users.

AMD really draws wood over APUs whereas Intel just shoves in whatever integrated solution they don't give a shit about and fully expect anyone serious about gaming to already blow 150-250 on a card.

I trust Intels mentality a lot more.

Who the hell actually halfway games and makes use of a APU. Honestly. All or none.

I'm assuming it's going to be an APU with R9 graphics and not R7. The reason why they had R7 250/260X compatibility with the Kaveris is because of the limits of their HSA shit.

To give people a clearer view of what I mean, this is what I expect:

- Mid-high range AMD performance - not comparable to Intel - on the CPU side. This can be summed up to be a rehashed Kaveri release; dissapointment incoming.

- R9 graphics cores in the processor with HSA/Mantle/dual-graphics compatibilities. The questions that arise because of this are what type of graphics cores they'd be, the clock rate of the cores, the number of cores, etc.. What exactly can they fit into a 28nm design..?

- Possibility of Tonga debut. This is even worse than Kaveri in some ways because Tonga, despite being rumored by really ignorant tech sites and people spreading said rumors, will likely not be the successor to Pitcairn nor Tahiti GPU architectures. The oldest atm is Cape Verde and Bonaire, R7 250/260 GPUs, or the HD 7700s. You can expect Tonga to be an R9 250/260, not an R9 275X.

There's a lot of stuff here that sounds pretty bad but we can look at it more positively and see a different outcome with the debut. What if it's an A12-8600k, with 6 CPU cores, 12 GPU cores from an R9 270 (or the R9/R10 260 - which would be close to R9 270 performance), 4MB L2 and 6MB L3 caches? 4.3ghz effective clock rate?

That is an insane APU, borderline competitive with Intel's unlocked CPUs regardless of how you look at it. And then the integrated graphics would be enough to handle 1080p quite well on high. There's a lot of value in a CPU like that even if it sat at ~$280-$340 launch price. Also, consider the fact that even if it isn't quite that fast and lacks a solid L2/L3 cache just like Kaveri, it will still be able to dual graphics with a solid midrange GPU that I can guarantee will have Mantle/DX12 support.

If you go 50/50 with the good and bad, but assume they realize how terribly priced Kaveri is, it's a compelling APU.

I'm not quite ready to say I'm excited, but I'm hopeful. If they screw this up though, it's the last time I hype an AMD processor.

I hope it's Space Core.

I need this in my life...

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

do u think this will be their equivalent of the GPU 780ti?

I'd be thrilled. NVidia is making me annoyed with their LACK OF SUPPORT FOR DAISYCHAINED U2414H's. -_-

Stupid DP thinking it's a TV signal. DP doesn't even EXIST as a TV signal!!!

/endrant

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

I am still laying my cards on mobile Kaveri. There are also three new desktop Kaveri SKU's to be released including one unlocked dual core (A6-7400k). The mobile APU's from AMD are already looking very impressive. The FX-7600P comes clocked in at 2.7 GHz with a 3.6 GHz turbo, R7 Radeon Graphics (GCN) at 600 MHz with a 686 MHz boost clock, all coupled with native DDR3-2133 MHz support. So we are talking about a laptop APU that could offer near performance to a desktop A10-7700k in gaming. That is pretty impressive if AMD prices these just right. This could be a big step forward for budget gaming laptops while not forgetting it also brings HSA capabilities into the mobile market.

It will be an APU as in the Main.js file had shown it was an APU. They have since removed the line of code though.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I'm assuming it's going to be an APU with R9 graphics and not R7. The reason why they had R7 250/260X compatibility with the Kaveris is because of the limits of their HSA shit.

To give people a clearer view of what I mean, this is what I expect:

- Mid-high range AMD performance - not comparable to Intel - on the CPU side. This can be summed up to be a rehashed Kaveri release; dissapointment incoming.

- R9 graphics cores in the processor with HSA/Mantle/dual-graphics compatibilities. The questions that arise because of this are what type of graphics cores they'd be, the clock rate of the cores, the number of cores, etc.. What exactly can they fit into a 28nm design..?

- Possibility of Tonga debut. This is even worse than Kaveri in some ways because Tonga, despite being rumored by really ignorant tech sites and people spreading said rumors, will likely not be the successor to Pitcairn nor Tahiti GPU architectures. The oldest atm is Cape Verde and Bonaire, R7 250/260 GPUs, or the HD 7700s. You can expect Tonga to be an R9 250/260, not an R9 275X.

There's a lot of stuff here that sounds pretty bad but we can look at it more positively and see a different outcome with the debut. What if it's an A12-8600k, with 6 CPU cores, 12 GPU cores from an R9 270 (or the R9/R10 260 - which would be close to R9 270 performance), 4MB L2 and 6MB L3 caches? 4.3ghz effective clock rate?

That is an insane APU, borderline competitive with Intel's unlocked CPUs regardless of how you look at it. And then the integrated graphics would be enough to handle 1080p quite well on high. There's a lot of value in a CPU like that even if it sat at ~$280-$340 launch price. Also, consider the fact that even if it isn't quite that fast and lacks a solid L2/L3 cache just like Kaveri, it will still be able to dual graphics with a solid midrange GPU that I can guarantee will have Mantle/DX12 support.

If you go 50/50 with the good and bad, but assume they realize how terribly priced Kaveri is, it's a compelling APU.

I'm not quite ready to say I'm excited, but I'm hopeful. If they screw this up though, it's the last time I hype an AMD processor.

That's actually damn interesting: a 260 can go toe to toe with a 750ti. Even if the performance isn't as powerful it's still getting damn close to 1080p gaming on an integrated chip, I would definitely build a system around that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Do you guys not realize the potential of an APU? 

Off-loading certain calculations to the APU could potentially give you an FPS boost. That is the hope I imagine. Obviously that means jack-diddly until AMD actually implements something to do it, and who knows when/if that will ever happen.

I'm just saying, theoretically, it could be meaningful to have an APU over a CPU, if done right. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hopefully it's that x86 powerhouse Logan was speculating on.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh silly AMD, always three step behind Nvidia...

attachicon.gif1345580664305.gif

Is that a 480? Nice joke. :D

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

My inner fanboy is throwing a huge rave as the timer counts down ;)

128071930498.gif

1380835313997.gif

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Please be something good, no more mobile crap, I want more power!

AMD over time prove themselves time and time again that they love working with: More performance x Less Power used

Their APU's have scaled pretty well in the low end markets.

I doubt myself this is their new powerhouse, probably some unexpected performance per watt product.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I think it's a desktop APU that will have lots of eDRAM cache on it like Iris Pro.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

If it's ahead of its time it's probably an APU with HSA support.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Personally i think it's a APU too.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

yeah i wouldnt be getting my hopes up for kellers new x86 arch thats late 2015 early 2016 at earliest

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85