CODE Keyboard unboxing and review

CODE Keyboard (MX Greens)

The box

ZtG91uh.jpg

The box was pretty dinged up, there was a slight rip on one of the corners, however this is to be expected when shipping an item overseas.

Inside

fUepDfk.jpg

A lot of people has complained about their keyboard coming in an over sized box with no protective packaging, essentially swimming around in there. i didn't have this problem, the item was well packaged, however cannot sustain human abuse.

A worrying start

Jt4Plkp.jpg

I have a feeling that the box was dropped somewhere along the line due to this significant crumple, considering how tightly packaged keyboard usually are.

The Inside

33tMbM1.jpg

Pretty standard inside, keyboard presented in a foam cover and the accessories in a cardboard section above.

The accessories

hWHxvZJ.jpg

The accessories include a wire key cap puller, a USB to PS/2 adapter and a non braided USB to micro USB cable. The wire key cap puller is a nice addition as most of the included pullers are usually made of plastic. The USB to PS/2 adapter is the standard stuff. The USB cable isn't braided, however is thick and of a nice quality, with an included Velcro tie thing that gives it a premium feel.

The board itself

Z7p3jpU.jpg

Isn't she a beaut? Nice and sleek with no macro keys, LCD displays and any of the other junk that just clutters your typing experience.

The underbelly

aHyaP8q.jpg

The standard stuff here, just an overview and will go into more detail in the following images.

The sticker

XD9Kwc9.jpg

This shows information about the keyboard, the switch type, where it was designed and where it was manufactured.

The rubber feet

5NvhgCa.jpg

Before we start, lets just say that once you put this thing down, it isn't going anywhere. On the bottom there are three rubber feet for each side of the keyboard, a total of six, compared to some keyboards two rubber feet.

The DIP switches

gJLWwz4.jpg

To enable back lighting, caps lock to control and other functions, one must flip switches accordingly on the back of the keyboard. The only problem I had wit this is that I had to use a pen to access it due to the size of my hands.

The key caps

oQ8CU3b.jpg

The key caps seem to be average, with a rubberized/smooth feeling texture on the top and the sides.

KS1jpti.jpg

Here is the underside of the key cap. My model features a rubber o-ring pre-installed, which is a nice touch as installing o-rings can be frustrating.

The switch

PtdH5Ez.jpg

This particular model features MX Green switches, which are heavier than blues and produce the same "click" that is associated with mechanical keyboards, however you do not get the bottom out sound which puts off a lot of people due to their volume. You can also see the white LED.

Size comparison

RHazwbi.jpg

As you can see, for a full sized keyboard, it isn't that wide, compared to my CM Storm Quickfire Stealth (MX Browns) and from experience, not pictured, my Razer Blackwidow (MX Blues).

The backlight

Z6C4xa5.jpg

This is my first keyboard that has back lighting. This is the lowest brightness that the keyboard can reach. The back light is actually white, with one exception, my numpad 3 key has a slight yellow tint to it, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

n9XAwMS.jpg

This is the keyboard on full brightness, as you can see, it can get quite bright.

Artsy shots

vsm3Npa.jpg

kfz9Nqs.jpg

Dem rubber pads

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Oh wow that's nice @Samdb the pictures :D haven't even all loaded and it's pushing down and down :(

Crap...hey the MKB you compared it too which I think is the Quickfire stealth MX greens if I'm correct the only other MX Greens aside from maybe a model ducky has brought out with greens?

Time to throw some metal key-caps on it xD

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Oh wow that's nice @Samdb the pictures :D haven't even all loaded and it's pushing down and down :(

Crap...hey the MKB you compared it too which I think is the Quickfire stealth MX greens if I'm correct the only other MX Greens aside from maybe a model ducky has brought out with greens?

Yeah, the QFS is the only other keyboard that is "easily" accessible that has greens, however mine has Browns.

Yeah, the QFS is the only other keyboard that is "easily" accessible that has greens, however mine has Browns.

Oh...I got the MX Green flavour..it not bad but because CM didn't have any imagination to add more than 3 LEDs in the pcb it ain't that great. TK should have a wrist-rest included >_<

The white LEDs look quite great.

How big are you fingers? Cause I doubt you can flick all those DIP switches :( without a tweezer 

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Pretty...

And I'll never get one.

And I like the Logitech K800 just as much since then I can't lose my mouse or anything.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

How much did it cost?

It retails for £100 with no shipping or VAT and from the US, I would be paying in excess of £160. I managed to get mine for £136 shipped with VAT.

How long after ordering did it take to actually arrive?

How long after ordering did it take to actually arrive?

Roughly a month, I joined the drop on the first day, so I had to wait a week for the order to be placed, then I had to wait for WASD to ship to Massdrop, so that's about a week. I then had to wait for Massdrop to ship me the keyboard, which was another two weeks. I nearly died after the third week.

Roughly a month, I joined the drop on the first day, so I had to wait a week for the order to be placed, then I had to wait for WASD to ship to Massdrop, so that's about a week. I then had to wait for Massdrop to ship me the keyboard, which was another two weeks. I nearly died after the third week.

A month's wait for £24 saved? If it wasn't urgent and you value your money then good on you but that isn't a compromise I'd be willing to make under many circumstances.

A month's wait for £24 saved? If it wasn't urgent and you value your money then good on you but that isn't a compromise I'd be willing to make under many circumstances.

Yeah, I didn't expect the handling fee to be so high once it came into the country.

Yeah, I didn't expect the handling fee to be so high once it came into the country.

Oh I see, you expected it to be less but inland revenue got their due I see, that explains things a bit more.

Would you do this again, or is retail your man now?

Oh I see, you expected it to be less but inland revenue got their due I see, that explains things a bit more.

Would you do this again, or is retail your man now?

I don't know, it depends on which keyboards they have on there in the future, I will probably go for it because if I can save money I will.