Which mouse?

Vann

I have been looking at gaming mice for a while now, with the aim of upgrading from my "Microsoft comfort mouse" which was fine when I got it as a cheap budget option, but now I want something better as it is getting uncomfortable during periods of long use (my hands sweat a lot on it) and I'm starting to notice that it doesn't really track too well.

What I have been looking out for in a mouse:

-Size: I have pretty big hands, so while length is important something with a bit of width would be great too.

-Comfort: The Microsoft mouse requires a palm-ish grip but the way it is domed so it is always in contact with my hand isn't great for sweating

-Durability: I want something that will last several years at least, a pretty good quality product that I can be happy with for ages.

-Value: I don't want to pay too much but I know that it will be pretty expensive, so not something like an Ouroboros (however much I might like one)

So, given the massive choice on the market, it is very, very difficult trying to make a decision as to which mouse I'd like best, but I think I've narrowed it down to about three:

1:

[h=1]Thermaltake Level 10 M 8200 DPI Gaming Mouse[/h]

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-012-TT&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=

When I first looked at this I thought it looked like crap, but I have to say that under closer investigation it has really grown on me. The weight seems good, the adjustability seems decent and the build quality seems to be quite high. Also the ventilation seems like a good idea, but the price tag is right at the limit of what I would be willing to pay for a mouse. Also the green looks awesome, and I really like the buttons for the right and left click.

2:

[h=1]SteelSeries Sensei Pro Laser Gaming Mouse[/h]

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-027-ST&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=1257

I've heard a lot of good things about this mouse, such that is has very good software. But I'm not entirely sure about the shape, I don't mind it being ambidextrous, my concern lies with the shiny finish and durability of the product. I read that it is not metal, but a plastic, finished to look like metal. Also, I have read that it is a very light mouse, and coupled with a plastic finishing I am worried that it will feel cheap and light, which is the last thing I want from something that costs so much. I'd like my mouse to feel like a quality mechanical keyboard. Tough and durable, if possible.

3:

[h=1]Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 6400 DPI Gaming Mouse[/h]

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-036-SK&tool=3

The RAT appeals to me a lot, it looks like the Batmobile and the customisation seems like an excellent idea. I have tried my friend's RAT 3, the basic version which wasn't very big or very comfortable, but I know that all of that would be remedied if I got the 7. Its just that reading reviews of the product from people who have bought it, there are a lot which complain about poor durability, such as the left button stops working, or it occasionally stops tracking properly. If I could buy it without worrying about the reliability, then I might grab it, but the plastic on the RAT 3 did seem very low quality, and again, there is the concern of buying something so expensive but having it fail, or not live up to expectations.

So those are the three I have my choice narrowed down to, of the Razer products, as I am sure someone will mention, I didn't find any which appealed to me overly, other than the Ouroboros which is far too expensive. If anyone can give me advice regarding these and maybe put some anxieties to rest then that would be great. If you are wondering what I use my mouse for, it is a lot of everyday stuff, but the games I play are usually first person, since I can never bring myself to immerse in an MMO. Something sturdy is preferred, that feels like it will last eons, but functionality is also very important.

Thanks for helping! :)

I'd go with the Steelseries Sensei. If the shiny finish is a problem for you, take a look at the Steelseries Sensei Raw. It comes in two forms: Rubberized & Glossy. http://steelseries.com/us/products/m...ies-sensei-raw You can get the rubberized one if that's what you're looking for. Durability? I've been using it for over a year and no problems on the buttons of the mice. Still works great and I love the shape & form of the mice. Doesn't feel cheap at all.

Steelseries also has great customer support so you'll always have great quality products from them.

Edit: Raw for your website (rubberized edition) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-036-ST glossy edition on your seller's website is out of stock.

I have a RAT5 and seem to be one of the lucky ones who haven't had too many problems. I had a few tracking errors, but then I shot some compressed air in there and haven't had problems in the 6 months since. The only other thing is the horizontal roller only recognizes one impulse or click for every two physical clicks in the anti-clockwise turn. Works fine for clockwise, but since I only use that wheel for scrolling through tabs in Chrome, it's not a huge problem for me.

As zephiK says, I try to go for the SteelSeries, they have great products.