Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Apple wants retrial in Samsung patent case

Posted · Original PosterOP

Apple is requesting a retrial after a Californian jury ordered Samsung to pay Apple $119 million in damages for infringing two of its patents.

Apple had been seeking damages of $2.2 billion after accusing Samsung of copying five patents including the "slide to unlock" function. The US company also filed a permanent injunction to prevent Samsung using the patents it was found to have infringed. Samsung filed court documents too but the contents have not been made public.

During the origin trial, Apple had accused Samsung of systematically copying features distinctive to its iOS software. Samsung denied that it had copied Apple patents and said it was Apple who was doing the copying. The jury found that Apple had infringed some Samsung patents and awarded $158,000 in damages to the South Korean firm.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27574765

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

Apple, you stopped being a dick agains google, just leave samsung out of it too and start innovating, please?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I wish apple would shut up. doing things in a similar way is not copyright infringement. "slide to unlock", seriously? do you want to patent screens with pixels too?

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

If they're unhappy with damages they can appeal. But I doubt any appellant court will quash a jury in a civil case and order a new one unless there is evidence of someone perverting the course of justice.

But it's so ironic Apple cries wolf when they 'stole' notification centre from android among other things. 

The saying "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" sounds about right on Apple's corporate policies. 

But it's so ironic Apple cries wolf when they 'stole' notification centre from android among other things. 

The saying "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" sounds about right on Apple's corporate policies. 

it's also ironic that they would do this when in one of his speeches jobs himself admitted he copied others to achieve better results and he was proud of it. or when samsung still manifactures their screens and cpus.

frankly I think samsung (or any other android phones manifacturer if not even the late nokia) should sue them for having copied the idea of 16:9 screens on phones.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Im surprised the jury didn't shit themselves with laughter when apple said about the slide to unlock patent.

Wasn't "Slide to Unlock" patent invalidated a long time ago?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

LOL, again,,, apple everyday sinks deeper in a pile of smelly horse crap... they stopped inventing a while back,,, they must be reclassified as a patent troll now for good...

ahh so sad, so much money in the wrong hands,,,

PC Gaming forever...

Ok why the fuck do they need more money? They're already jacking tons of money from their brand products. And I hope this jury isn't stupid and just craps on apple

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

makes me think...

"Is this Apple's new definition for 'Innovation'?"  :lol:

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

Up next: After being informed that a retrial without a mistrial has no basis in law, Apple wants a constitution amendment, preferably one that actually includes the phrase 'Fuck Samsung' in it. Surprisingly after some heavy lobbying, this might actually happen.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Apple, think about what you are doing for a second. If you did that a couple of times, things like this wouldn't happen. Start innovating more and worry less about other people 'copying' such stupid features. If this slides, then Samsung should be able to sue Apple for innovating on the idea of smart watches (when it comes out i guess).

Apple is arrogantly greedy, they should stop whining like fairies for instant as they need to innovate a bit their products!

I wish apple would shut up. doing things in a similar way is not copyright infringement. "slide to unlock", seriously? do you want to patent screens with pixels too?

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they have tried to. I mean they patented the magnetic power adapters, that was in use on deep fryers and other counter top appliances for many many yrs before they first put them on a note book. I am surprised they haven't turned around and tried to sue presto for patent infringement even though they were using magnetic power cords first. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Apple has money to fight these idiotic lawsuits, but they don't have the resources to put a real GPU in their 2 thousand dollar iMachines? What a terrible company.

SNOWHEART - laptop

Model: TRACER III 17R XTREME VR 800 || CPU: Intel i7-8750H  || RAM: HyperX Impact 16GB || GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 || Storage: Intel 660P 512GB +  AData SX8200 1TB + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB || Display: 1920x1080p 144hz

PRISIMHEART 2.0 - desktop

Case: FD Meshify C Mini || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Scythe Choten TUF edition || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Elite || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Steelseries RIval 650 || Monitor: HP Omen 32

Apple has money to fight these idiotic lawsuits, but they don't have the resources to put a real GPU in their 2 thousand dollar iMachines? What a terrible company.

iAgree with that iStatement.

Currently, Apple acts like the little annoying kid shouting "WATCH ME! WATCH ME! LOOK! I WANT ATTENTION!".

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014