Nvidia Admits "We're Falling Behind on the Frame Rate Race"

Totally doesn't sound like a fanboy /sarcasm

Yeah you're right, AMD cards aren't capable of anything else other than horsepower either.

nothing wrong with having a favourite... its not like it cant do hair anyways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECnvJeXXE8

Character artist in the Games industry.

Well I find this quite funny because Nvidia spent 7 years working on frame latency and yet AMD cards are smoother.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15745-nvidia-admits-were-falling-behind-on-the-frame-rate-race/#entry177619

What were they doing for 7 years ? they did a decent job with frame latency on two cards fair enough, but on single cards which the majority of gamers use the AMD cards are smoother, even the slower cards are smoother (7970 smoother than Titan)

So it doesn't really matter how long they've been working on it what's important are the results, dual card results are good no doubt, but for a company that's "spear-heading" the support for frame times their single cards are lagging, especially when you know that they've been working on it for more than 7 years.

wait what do you mean smoother those test's just show that the 7970 has higher fps than the titan and the frame latency is about the same on both the titan and 7970 in single card performance but in sli/crossfire amd looks horrible in comparison to nvidia 

unless if you mean by smoother you mean more fps

wait what do you mean smoother those test's just show that the 7970 has higher fps than the titan and the frame latency is about the same on both the titan and 7970 in single card performance but in sli/crossfire amd looks horrible in comparison to nvidia 

unless if you mean by smoother you mean more fps

Look at the first graph, the 7970 line appears much thinner, the thinner the line the less variance you'll see & the smoother the experience.

I've known that AMD has been slightly ahead for a while now, I am probably still going to buy a GTX 780.

There's something that just feels safer about most partner's Nvidia cards. Based on RMA alone, AMD cards seem to just be prone to breaking or being DoA a lot more. Most third party cooler shrouds are wafer-thin with large unsightly gaps (I don't want to see the PCB from the front, guys!) - even the XFX cards which are arguably the best looking shrouds and one of few made of metal are super thin. Not to mention XFX VRM problems.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few shoddy partners for Nvidia cards too. But even in that segment, they compare well to AMD. Zotac vs. PowerColor for example. (My Zotac GTX 470 is still chugging along just fine, albeit loudly)

There just aren't any WOW cards in AMD's lineup, except IMO the 7970 IceQ x2 from HIS. That is how you design a cooler. Unfortunately it still doesn't hide the PCB, but hey, baby steps. If HIS carries their cooler design over to next gens, I might actually get an AMD card.

As for reference cooler designs, Nvidia has AMD's testicles in a vice.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I've known that AMD has been slightly ahead for a while now, I am probably still going to buy a GTX 780.

There's something that just feels safer about most partner's Nvidia cards. Based on RMA alone, AMD cards seem to just be prone to breaking or being DoA a lot more. Most third party cooler shrouds are wafer-thin with large unsightly gaps (I don't want to see the PCB from the front, guys!) - even the XFX cards which are arguably the best looking shrouds and one of few made of metal are super thin. Not to mention XFX VRM problems.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few shoddy partners for Nvidia cards too. But even in that segment, they compare well to AMD. Zotac vs. PowerColor for example. (My Zotac GTX 470 is still chugging along just fine, albeit loudly)

There just aren't any WOW cards in AMD's lineup, except IMO the 7970 IceQ x2 from HIS. That is how you design a cooler. Unfortunately it still doesn't hide the PCB, but hey, baby steps. If HIS carries their cooler design over to next gens, I might actually get an AMD card.

As for reference cooler designs, Nvidia has AMD's testicles in a vice.

I disagree with most of what you said, AMD & Nvidia share all three major partners, Asus, MSI & Gigabyte.

What's even more astonishing is that last year alone Sapphire & HIS collectively sold more graphics cards than all the big three combined & those two are exclusive AMD partners.

As for the reference cooler designs, Nvidia is actually behind AMD in that regard.

Some people tend to think that Nvidia reference cards run quieter & cooler, which is entirely wrong.

You can see that the reference AMD cards run significantly cooler than the reference Nvidia cards, & by significantly I mean a 10 degrees & 5 degrees difference respectively.

load%20temp.png

I disagree with most of what you said, AMD & Nvidia share all three major partners, Asus, MSI & Gigabyte.

What's even more astonishing is that last year alone Sapphire & HIS collectively sold more graphics cards than all the big three combined & those two are exclusive AMD partners.

As for the reference cooler designs, Nvidia is actually behind AMD in that regard.

Some people tend to think that Nvidia reference cards run quieter & cooler, which is entirely wrong.

You can see that the reference AMD cards run significantly cooler than the reference Nvidia cards, & by significantly I mean a 10 degrees & 5 degrees difference respectively.

To be clear, I didn't reference the cooling capabilities. My beef with AMD's coolers is that they look like utter ass, that's all.

As for the three major partners, let's see why they don't even factor into my assessment:

• ASUS has been off on a triple-slot cooler tangent, completely alienating the massive uprising of mini-ITX builders. Their last gasp 670 mini was pretty good though.
  • MSi were so late to the race with their TwinFrozr 7970 I can't even use it as data for comparing the two GPU maker's partners.
  • Gigabyte make the ugliest cards in the world and I wouldn't be caught dead with one. The only reason I didn't mention Gigabyte instead of Zotac for 'shoddy' was to escape the inevitable flamey responses.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

well.... who cares about looks? there are many nice cases that don't have windows out there.

well.... who cares about looks? there are many nice cases that don't have windows out there.

Well, I don't have one. Well I don't technically have a window, it's the Prodigy and the mesh in the side panel displays the entire cooler at the angle it was meant to be seen. So I care... A lot... Or I wouldn't have bought LED lights to illuminate it :P

I'm just hoping for a non-blower fan to blow me away* so I can justify a window.

*That was not originally intended as a pun when I started writing it

Well, I don't have one. Well I don't technically have a window, it's the Prodigy and the mesh in the side panel displays the entire cooler at the angle it was meant to be seen. So I care... A lot... Or I wouldn't have bought LED lights to illuminate it :P

I'm just hoping for a non-blower fan to blow me away* so I can justify a window.

*That was not originally intended as a pun when I started writing it

don't know what to tell you. they typically don't invest much into the shrouds :P

and on that note, i really do wish someone came out with an assymetrical bladed angled blower.

nothing wrong with having a favourite... its not like it cant do hair anyways

That's just a demo, I can show a million jaw dropping graphics demos, but if they don't make it into game ,they're useless.

And this didn't make it into any game, unlike TressFX which is implemented in Tomb Raider & fully functional !

And by the way, that's a tessellation demo which is DX11 based and available on any DX11 card from AMD or Nvidia and has nothing to do with Physx .

Nvidia will do something they always do, we know one thing that your getting 40 real frames per second vs 75 partially broken frames per second. I still think amd has the greater edge and gaming evolved is in every title at the mo. its killing me trying to decide my next gpu upgrade. I just dont know!!!!!

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Nvidia will do something they always do, we know one thing that your getting 40 real frames per second vs 75 partially broken frames per second. I still think amd has the greater edge and gaming evolved is in every title at the mo. its killing me trying to decide my next gpu upgrade. I just dont know!!!!!

Until we hear more about the next generations and you want multiple GPUs, go Nvidia. If you don't, go AMD. 

;)

Well that's just not true,7970 is even smoother than Titan, it's only crossfire which needs frame timing & is being improved as we speak.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15745-nvidia-admits-were-falling-behind-on-the-frame-rate-race/?p=177619

Until we hear more about the next generations and you want multiple GPUs, go Nvidia. If you don't, go AMD. ;)

That's not really good advice to be honest. since by next month AMD's Heart Beat™ will be out which smoothest out crossfire frame times.

AMD should be gaining market share, i feel like they stepped up in driver department and just keep pushing more out of the cards, pricing is aggressive plus the TONS of games they throw at us. Yet, market share is just not moving much. Nvidia might be behind in the fps race but they still have the bigger market. I hope they go into a crazy price war soon... Nvidia should of dropped their price but nothing has been done. 

AMD should be gaining market share, i feel like they stepped up in driver department and just keep pushing more out of the cards, pricing is aggressive plus the TONS of games they throw at us. Yet, market share is just not moving much. Nvidia might be behind in the fps race but they still have the bigger market. I hope they go into a crazy price war soon... Nvidia should of dropped their price but nothing has been done. 

I hope they do. They really need to :'I

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Nvidia - The Way It's Meant To Be Played

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

Well that's just not true,7970 is even smoother than Titan, it's only crossfire which needs frame timing & is being improved as we speak.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15745-nvidia-admits-were-falling-behind-on-the-frame-rate-race/?p=177619

That's not really good advice to be honest. since by next month AMD's Heart Beat™ will be out which smoothest out crossfire frame times.

Yeah, but why build a crossfire setup that depends on drivers to not stutter when Nvidia has hardware controls for that? I'll stand by it as good general advice - anyone who knows better wont be asking about Radeon vs GTX anyways.

Yeah, but why build a crossfire setup that depends on drivers to not stutter when Nvidia has hardware controls for that? I'll stand by it as good general advice - anyone who knows better wont be asking about Radeon vs GTX anyways.

It doesn't matter if it's hardware or software, the results speak for themselves.

You can go to pcper & watch the amd prototype driver review which includes the heart beat technology videos for your yourself, they smoothed out the animation to the point where it's absolutely impossible to tell the difference between crossfire and sli even after the video was slowed down to 20%, that's 5 times slower than what you can actually see.

so whether AMD achieved it via software or hardware is irreverent.

It doesn't matter if it's hardware or software, the results speak for themselves.

You can go to pcper & watch the amd prototype driver review which includes the heart beat technology videos for your yourself, they smoothed out the animation to the point where it's absolutely impossible to tell the difference between crossfire and sli even after the video was slowed down to 20%, that's 5 times slower than what you can actually see.

so whether AMD achieved it via software or hardware is irreverent.

There's a greater chance of software failures in my book.  :rolleyes:

¯\(°_o)/¯

Been playing games since PS1/N64/GBC/GBA. Framerates didnt matter then and I kind of dont care about them now. Just let it work with great games ,let me have multi-moniters. Yea...Iduno.

There's a greater chance of software failures in my book.  :rolleyes:

That's pure speculation on your behalf, until you start arguing logically there is not point of this discussion.

Have a good day sir.

That's pure speculation on your behalf, until you start arguing logically there is not point of this discussion.

Have a good day sir.

CPU overhead + not quite as good frame times = software < hardware

The drivers do improve frame times, by alot, but it still can't match hardware.

From PC Perspective:

BF3_2560x1440_PLOT_0.png

As I've already stated, I'll stand by it as good general advice - anyone who knows better wont be asking about Radeon vs GTX anyways.

Unless of course, you start arguing logically and provide counter evidence. While nit picking my statement certainly disqualifies it as a universal truth, which I never claimed in the first place, nit picking doesn't prove it too be bad general advice. Tell me the universal benefits of a crossfire setup over an SLI setup, and if they outweigh the - now minor but still existent - issues with crossfire then I'll gladly change my position.

Well it seems like the amd crossfire "prototype" solution worked well and that is the prototype. .... not finished. AMD leads in horsepower and also costs less.... AMD has been in the bottom of the barrel for a while and unlike Nvidia, AMD has nowhere to go but up. Not to mention u get 3 AAA games for free. Not a hard choice for me.