Whats best for me 27" or 29" ultra wide?

Torg73

Hey up,

So what would be best for me either getting a 27" IPS monitor and run it with 2 24" TN monitors or having one of the 29" Ultra-wide IPS monitors with one 24" monitor?

Most of the IPS panels l been looking at are 5ms (some 6ms or slower), both my 24" monitors are 1920 x 1080p and the 27" I been looking at are 1920 x 1080p and the ultra-wide screen is 2560 x 1080p.

I have a i5 4670k with a GTX 770 2gb and have 16gb ram in my system so am not bothered with have low FPS.

Games I play are Assassins Creed 4 and WoW most of the time, don't play 1st person shooters.

When am doing solo stuff in WoW I watch youtube vids and do some internet web stuff.

Cry Havoc!

29" ultra wide

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

OK so if I go down the ultra wide monitor then how about the AOC Q2963PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BLZAYHC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0W2XMZM0SE95QXMDWPVZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

Anyone here have/use AOC monitors and are they any good for gaming?

Cry Havoc!

I am almost in the same position as you. i currently have a iiyama E2773HS but i want an upgrade. I play games but not on such a serious level that i need 1ms and a 144hz. I am doubting between a 27 inch 1080p monitor or a 21:9 monitor.

ever consider one of the 27" korean panels? I have one and it's magnificent, especially for under $300 US. (X-Star DP2710)

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

I would personally go for the 27", 2560x1080 is not industry standard and therefore you will not benefit from it when watching movies. they will get scaled up, which means you might see artifacts. also, the extra screen real estate is not so big that you would notice, you would still get a lot more from an extra 1080p monitor (it would be one for the 21:9 or 2 for the 16:9 right?).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Would the 27" be 1440p or 1080p? If your looking at the latter, then just go with the 21:9, seeing as a good amount of content actually does scale well on that one.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Would the 27" be 1440p or 1080p? If your looking at the latter, then just go with the 21:9, seeing as a good amount of content actually does scale well on that one.

It would be 1080p

Cry Havoc!

That helped a lot, looks like am going for 21:9 aspect then

Let us know how you go with your purchase and, if you don't mind, post some pics of your new monitor.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hey up,

Personally do not like ultra wide monitors as not all games support it though it is not THAT bad and is getting better these days

What about getting AOCs 27" 1440p display? I bought mine for about £320, not sure how well your 770 would cope though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

27 inch 1440P LG-AH-ips would be ideaal if you ask me :D

LG makes the best ips panels

That helped a lot, looks like am going for 21:9 aspect then

I personally cant make up my mind. Now I am also considering a 27 inch 1440p 16x9 ips monitor. I love the LG ultra wide 1440p monitor that linus reviewed but that price though...

Edit:Nvm the 1440p. Looks like 770 is not powerful enough to my liking. How much heavier is it to drive a 2560x1080 compared to 1920x1080. I remember reading it was like 10%

I personally cant make up my mind. Now I am also considering a 27 inch 1440p 16x9 ips monitor. I love the LG ultra wide 1440p monitor that linus reviewed but that price though...

Edit:Nvm the 1440p. Looks like 770 is not powerful enough to my liking. How much heavier is it to drive a 2560x1080 compared to 1920x1080. I remember reading it was like 10%

Will find out when the monitor turns up, should be ok I think.

Cry Havoc!

Hey up,

So what would be best for me either getting a 27" IPS monitor and run it with 2 24" TN monitors or having one of the 29" Ultra-wide IPS monitors with one 24" monitor?

Most of the IPS panels l been looking at are 5ms (some 6ms or slower), both my 24" monitors are 1920 x 1080p and the 27" I been looking at are 1920 x 1080p and the ultra-wide screen is 2560 x 1080p.

I have a i5 4670k with a GTX 770 2gb and have 16gb ram in my system so am not bothered with have low FPS.

Games I play are Assassins Creed 4 and WoW most of the time, don't play 1st person shooters.

When am doing solo stuff in WoW I watch youtube vids and do some internet web stuff.

I would definitely go with an IPS panel - 27" is a great choice, as you mentioned.

The reason I say don't go TN, in your specific scenario, is because a faster panel will be very hard to even notice in WoW. Maybe slightly in AC4, but still doubtful. Having better colors, and a much wider color gamut in general, depending on the distance - will look like it has less blur anyways.

TN panels hold their own weight, but ONLY for competitive gaming; namely, in FPS games. It doesn't benefit you as much in MOBA's or MMO's & the like.

As far as Ultra-Wide screen - although they are great, don't forget - you may run into issues with certain games & programs that don't have a particular love interest with that ratio.

Just my .02 cents.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

I would definitely go with an IPS panel - 27" is a great choice, as you mentioned.

The reason I say don't go TN, in your specific scenario, is because a faster panel will be very hard to even notice in WoW. Maybe slightly in AC4, but still doubtful. Having better colors, and a much wider color gamut in general, depending on the distance - will look like it has less blur anyways.

TN panels hold their own weight, but ONLY for competitive gaming; namely, in FPS games. It doesn't benefit you as much in MOBA's or MMO's & the like.

As far as Ultra-Wide screen - although they are great, don't forget - you may run into issues with certain games & programs that don't have a particular love interest with that ratio.

Just my .02 cents.

But if the games/program does not support 2560x1080, can't you just run it in 1920x1080 and have 2 black bars on the side ? 

But if the games/program does not support 2560x1080, can't you just run it in 1920x1080 and have 2 black bars on the side ? 

Along with many other horrible negative effects? Yes..

And they aren't just adding black bars.. It changes the whole scale of things, I'm pretty sure. Especially from 2560x1080

And they aren't just adding black bars.. It changes the whole scale of things, I'm pretty sure. Especially from 2560x1080

Negative effects such as? Also are you talking from your own experience?

Negative effects such as? Also are you talking from your own experience?

Not my own personal experience, but I experienced it first hand at a friends house.

And some of the issues we already mentioned, such as black bars, but there could also be a loss in how sharp it is (If I remember correctly), and so forth. It's 4am, can't remember from the top of my head - but I do remember there were multiple issues in a span of 2 weeks or so that he was having and it drove him up the wall.

But basically, it was gaming that he hated the most. Not only due to issues, but just the way things looked all-in-all. And the games surely hated him back.

If I was you, I would just stick with the tried & true methods. :P

Good Night + Good Luck~

Well we will find out soon, its meant to be delivered today sometime so just need to wait.

Cry Havoc!

Well we will find out soon, its meant to be delivered today sometime so just need to wait.

Which monitor did you go for? Also please let me know how it is. I am very curious.

Which monitor did you go for? Also please let me know how it is. I am very curious.

Went for the AOC Q2963PM Monitor as it looked good for the price on Amazon.co.uk, that and I got a £75 Amazon gift card that helped with the paying of it, was considering the Asus MX299Q but there's a £104 difference and then there's the 342 LG monster that Linus has on his desk to expensive for me atm, need to get payed more to even think about it.

Will post pics if I remember and tell how it goes with gaming

Cry Havoc!

Went for the AOC Q2963PM Monitor as it looked good for the price on Amazon.co.uk, that and I got a £75 Amazon gift card that helped with the paying of it, was considering the Asus MX299Q but there's a £104 difference and then there's the 342 LG monster that Linus has on his desk to expensive for me atm, need to get payed more to even think about it.

Will post pics if I remember and tell how it goes with gaming

Yeah, I'm also interested to know how it works out for you. Come back by and post a mini overview!