First AIO Swiftech H220 (too loud?)

Go to solution Solved by fishy,

wow, just had a deja vu :D

anyways, i'll check what stuff might be lurking in the rad, but can't now

i remounted the pump so that the notch (see pic) into witch impeller pumps water and then into the hose is on the top side hoping that it would force any bubbles out of the pump

but that didn't help and i used the last remaining thermal paste, so it'll have to work for now, till i get some more and can put different cpu cooler on it while i try to solve this.

P.S

that link sends me to this thread, but i found the one you tried to show me, thanks

post-51802-0-34618400-1401057554.jpg

So, basically as the title says. This is my first AIO and I can't really compare it to other AIO since it's the only one I heard in person.

So I'm asking you peeps if it's ok to make such noises. I honestly think it shouldn't since I just read a thread with poll and people are saying they barely hear it, or don't hear it at all. But i take that with a grain of salt since people usually defend what they bought with all four (maybe five) ligaments they have. And I don't blame them, I know I do it also sometimes. Defending the item bought just to make peace in mind that it was money well spent.

But well, maybe my money could be spent better on AIO :D

I'm aware that it is louder than air coolers, but I really wanted it and why not go for the H220. I've read numerous threads about failing pumps on this unit and burnt out cables and white smoke coming out of the pump, but I went for it nevertheless. Tried my luck, it cools great, never goes over 65°C even benchmarking and stress testing it on stock volts.

I have it set now that the pump rpm is always at 25% until it reaches 70°C so I only hear a slight hum when gaming, on GPU demanding stuff, the 780 lightning will spin up a bit and muffle the pump tho.

But just idleing I can hear the pump even with the sidepanel on.

anways

tl;dr

is this normal?

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

That's weired. I have an H100i but it does not make that kind of sound at all. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Got to change dem fans.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

The pumps in the Swiftech AIO's are supposed to be super silent, if you're sure it's the pump not the fans you should probably RMA the thing, though I'm not an expert so some more educated people here might suggest otherwise.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

the fans are noctuas nf-f12

and the pump speed is not the same as fan speed, i have fans plugged in different header, i was only changing the cpu fan header where the pump is plugged in

@fishy

mmm normal, no. you either have an air bubble trapped in the inlet of the

housing or the ceramic bearing has been run dry and emitting a flat spot noise.

as the pump speed increases the clicking gets faster. or the impeller is out of

balance.

need to contact swiftech support: bryan@swiftech.com and your retailer of the

situation and what you need to do to get it rectified.

So it's bad news :(

Thanks guys and gals

wow, just had a deja vu :D

anyways, i'll check what stuff might be lurking in the rad, but can't now

i remounted the pump so that the notch (see pic) into witch impeller pumps water and then into the hose is on the top side hoping that it would force any bubbles out of the pump

but that didn't help and i used the last remaining thermal paste, so it'll have to work for now, till i get some more and can put different cpu cooler on it while i try to solve this.

P.S

that link sends me to this thread, but i found the one you tried to show me, thanks

UPDATE:

Well, after running 1 day in this position (right way up) it seemed that it fixed itself, or got rid of the bubble in the pump at least.

I can only hear slight hum from the pump now and even on high revs, only change is that the humming gets bit louder, but not even close to the rattling sound it made before.

Only thing to change now is the position of the rad, I don't like how the tubes are now :D

I can only hear some slight hum probably from fans, but that's ok, I'm a happy camper now. Did manage to get 1 core to ambient temp on idle on 100% pump/fan \o/