[Mod Log] Destroying the top of my case. (A fan mod)

Okay, so I've wanted to put a fan mount in the top of my case to help with airflow to my CPU cooler (stock, blegh..).
Today, I decided to do it. 
Sorry in advance for the bad image quality, all I had on hand was my iPod.

The patient.

IMG 0029

IMG 0042

IMG 0059

IMG 0060

The first few holes for fan screws and a hacksaw blade.

IMG 0067

IMG 0069

IMG 0073

After this I ended up giving up an using a hacksaw and resorted to plan B) my jigsaw.

I ended up getting caught up in working and didn't think to take any pictures, but I think you can imagine how it went.

The final product.

IMG 0081

IMG 0101

Due to the violent nature of the jigsaw and the tentativeness of thin case steel, I ended up with one support broken in the middle and another broken at the fan mounting hole.

IMG 0090

However, I persevered and set out to mount this fan no matter what.

IMG 0111

IMG 0114

Sucess. Well. Kind of.

IMG 0118

IMG 0120

Albeit absolutely defacing the top of my case, I think it was a worthwhile learning experience.

Also; if anyone wants to pitch me a dremel, I'm not going to stop you.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Okay, so I've wanted to put a fan mount in the top of my case to help with airflow to my CPU cooler (stock, blegh..).

Why didnt you just mount the fan on those fan mounts on the side of the case? doenst look like there are any fans there

sorry if they are there

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think this highlights the necessity of proper tools for the job. But not bad at all considering what you were working with :)

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

It would have looked neater if you cut a clean square or circle and put a layer of mesh between the case and the fan.

Why didnt you just mount the fan on those fan mounts on the side of the case? doenst look like there are any fans there

sorry if they are there

Ah yeah, I did have a fan mounted there at one point, but the door vibrated so much it was unbearably noisy.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

It would have looked neater if you cut a clean square or circle and put a layer of mesh between the case and the fan.

Trust me, I would have if I had the mesh :P

why not just buy a new cooler?

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

haha im sure you already know it isn't the cleanest but good job for actually doing it and learning something.

Definitely need to invest in a dremel though if you plan on doing more things like this. you can get cheap ones for like 20-30 dollars I believe

why not just buy a new cooler?

Because I'm too damn poor. Not enough time as a student to hold a job.

I'm guessing you had a wood blade in the jigsaw? If you're happy with it, well done. Whereabouts you live?

Edit - for next time, here's a fan template :)

http://mnpctech.com/pc-cooling-fan-templates.html

Hahaha, that would have made it a whole lot easier, I wanted to do it so that I didn't just cut a straight hole though. I'm down in Aus.