First Build - Thoughts?

Hey Guys, 

I'm about to build my first PC in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to share my build with the forum.  I'd love to have feedback about the building process and my parts that I am going to use.  Thanks :D

Here is my Build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3NUxG

Thanks in Advance!  

Hey Guys, 

I'm about to build my first PC in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to share my build with the forum.  I'd love to have feedback about the building process and my parts that I am going to use.  Thanks :D

Here is my Build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3NUcy

Thanks in Advance!  

Why do you have two different types of ram?

What type of computing is this for?

Diamond 5 in League :)

Why do you have two different types of ram?

Looks Like I forgot to take it out: My mistake.  The 8 gigs of Corsair Vengeance should be in there only.  Thanks for the catch!  

Looks Like I forgot to take it out: My mistake.  The 8 gigs of Corsair Vengeance should be in there only.  Thanks for the catch!  

Are you gonna get a ssd?

What type of computing is this for?

Mostly gaming, but hoping to use for school as well.  The rest of my family are apple fanboys, but hopefully I can use evernote.

Are you gonna get a ssd?

I actually already have an intel 520 series 180 gig ssd, but Im thinking of getting another one in a few months. 

Are you planning to sli?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Mostly gaming, but hoping to use for school as well.  The rest of my family are apple fanboys, but hopefully I can use evernote.

It has a lot of problems, I can help fix it.

budget?

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

That's a great build! Just make sure you remove the extra kit of RAM and you'll be fine. 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Hey Guys, 

Here is my Build:

Thanks in Advance!  

Build: CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ares 1600Mhz CL9 | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + WD Blue 1TB 64MB Cache + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 64MB Cache | GPU: MSI GTX 960 | Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | Power Supply: EVGA 600B Non-Modular | 

This is a horrible build filled with incompatibility and weird things, I'll fix it.

I don't see anything incompatible.. I also wouldn't say that this is horrible. Other than the slightly overkill PSU if he's not going to SLI, it's fine to me.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

It has a lot of problems, I can help fix it.

What seems to be wrong with it?  I was almost positive everything was compatable.  

budget?

Hoping to not go above 1700$ - right now at least.  

Are you planning to sli?

Yeah, I think i'll add another 780 towards the end of the year.  

I don't see anything incompatible.. I also wouldn't say that this is horrible. Other than the slightly overkill PSU if he's not going to SLI, it's fine to me.

RAM timings. Its overkill even for SLI.

What seems to be wrong with it?  I was almost positive everything was compatable.  

The ram timings, I have another two builds going to show you in a min.

RAM timings. Its overkill even for SLI.

The ram timings, I have another two builds going to show you in a min.

Sorry for the confusion, I forgot to remove the Patriot memory from the build.  It should only be the 8 gb of Corsair.  I fixed the main post with the new build, but ill post it again here :D 

Midgit PC, not capable of SLI, but a great build.

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($227.97 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($126.97 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($479.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center) 
Optical Drive:  Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.98 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1254.81
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 20:20 EDT-0400)
Small PC, SLI capeable. Currently has SLI, above budget, but you can remove the second 780 or remove the SSD for budget

Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($479.99 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($479.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1857.82
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 20:23 EDT-0400)

Third build, ATX and similar to your original. SLI able.

Motherboard:  Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($479.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case:  Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1422.79
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 20:25 EDT-0400)

better http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3NUW5

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Could be cheaper: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3NV7L

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Midgit PC, not capable of SLI, but a great build.

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($126.97 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $1254.81
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 20:20 EDT-0400)
Small PC, SLI capeable. Currently has SLI, above budget, but you can remove the second 780 or remove the SSD for budget

Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z97 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Case:  Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1857.82
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 20:23 EDT-0400)

Third build, ATX and similar to your original. SLI able.

Motherboard:  Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Case:  Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1422.79
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 20:25 EDT-0400)

Great Builds Actually, couple of things though: 

I'm planning on not buying a cpu cooler right now, because my birthday is in September and I'll be getting one of the new intel chips along with an h100i.  

I like the SSD and the HD in the last build better than what I have right now though.  Would you agree that it's kinda pointless to have a hybrid drive if you already have an SSD that you are going to install?  That would cut a solid 40 bucks off my price tag.  

Also I want to build with a full ATX tower.  It will make it easier for my first build :D

Is the Asus aftermarket cooler sufficient enough to cool the R9 290?  I've heard its had serious overheat problems, and I'd rather not deal with that.  I want this to last me through college.  

Is the Asus aftermarket cooler sufficient enough to cool the R9 290?  I've heard its had serious overheat problems, and I'd rather not deal with that.  I want this to last me through college.  

It's plenty. The overheating problems are only relevant for the stock cooler.