Linus takes the final step in abandoning his original audience.

• You do get a video per day
  • LinusTechTips, not LinusEnthusiastTips
  • NDA's are a thing
  • There haven't been many guests recently and that's just your opinion
  • If you are mad about them going to PAX then why are you mad they're not going to Computex? They'll be hundreds of channesl covering Computex, why?

Lets say when most of us complaining about the videos now started watching LLT, you didn't know what YouTube was =P

You just have to compare the videos he does today with the ones he started off with. Or the original WAN show in a cramped garage. It had charakter. Now it's 2h of advertising, false statements and random opinions based on thin air.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I know one thing, I love this Communality and this forum :D, everything else is personal preference from one person to the next.

Eric I share your opinion

are we falling apart from this community? i hope not :(

has LTT grown into more of mature company for tech videos most definitely I do believe most members are concerned that the amount of fast pace that was originally the kickstarter for linus tech tips before late 2012 to be continue in a moment

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Lets say when most of us complaining about the videos now started watching LLT, you didn't know what YouTube was =P

You just have to compare the videos he does today with the ones he started off with. Or the original WAN show in a cramped garage. It had charakter. Now it's 2h of advertising, false statements and random opinions based on thin air.

I was aware of YT back then. I've watched a LOT of his older videos and I did like them, and I also like the new ones. I can agree on the fact that the WAN show has lost some of it's quality though.

i'm a potato

I agree that he's been deviating from what drew me into his channel. I understand the reasons for taking a more professional stance on his videos but the personality in the videos has gone dry. The daily releases of short videos, mainstream items, ever growing sponsors, and irrelevant items are starting to push me away. This is why I've been migrating away from the main tech channels that do the same general things and going to tested and Kore hobbyist channels that appeal to my creative side of the technology and general "geek" culture.

I love anything Linus does. #SOCKSINSANDALSFOREVER

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

I'm not supporting him if what he produces isn't what I want.

This was my point - if you don't like his videos, you don't have to watch them.

Complaining about how things have changed is basically like complaining that one of your friends got a good job and now doesn't have time to spend goofing off with you.

Complaining about how things have changed is basically like complaining that one of your friends got a good job and now doesn't have time to spend goofing off with you.

Well, I disagree slightly there. I say slightly, because my position is weak, although it's valid, imo. 

Your friend doesn't owe you anything unless you helped him get that good job. In a very real sense, it can be said that a person's early audience is part of the reason they got the bigger audience later (at least in Linus' situation).

Now, I'm not entitled in the sense that I believe Linus actually owes me something for watching his videos for so long, but at the same time, I'd expect him to care in some form about the audience that helped him build his channel (effectively helping him get that "good job"). 

I'm not saying he doesn't care. He probably does. I just believe he could've done both. Got the good job and still given his earlier audience's what they watched him for so that they might continue watching him. He doesn't, so I don't.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I really haven't been keeping track of the channel, but from reading the OP, I would tend to agree. I enjoy many of the videos from LTT and I click on them once in a while, but it seems like the reviews/overviews of things that I care about are few and far between. I don't really watch other tech channels as I prefer reading for the most part, and I've been kind of drifting away from the channel even though my interests haven't really changed. I couldn't care less about the picture quality -_-.

Anyway, no need to be upset. Keep calm and carry on, as they say. I'm fine with the occasional video that concerns me.

Cheers.

Just so I'm clear, the reason I don't watch the videos anymore is simply because I don't enjoy them anymore. They feel like a commercial. They don't tell me anything new (admittedly that might be because I've watched for so long). 

I originally watched them because I liked to learn and I enjoyed exploring new and interesting products with Linus. It felt like we were discovering cool things together. 

Compare this:

To this:

Which is more professional? Which feels more like you and the youtuber (in this case, Linus) are interacting in a way, and which feels more like you are a consumer watching a commercial?

I watched to learn about interesting products and explore something new with Linus because I enjoyed it. Now I feel more like I'm watching the commercials between the show that I actually want to watch when I watch his videos. I don't mean to be hateful in that in any way. It's just the truth. 

Also, what made Linus' videos his, rather than a copy of what everyone else was doing was his opinion. I never see that anymore (admittedly, I watch far fewer videos, but the ones I do watch, it isn't there). I personally don't want scripted professionalism because, in Linus' case, it takes away the thing I actually watched the videos for. Enjoyment and learning about things I wouldn't learn about elsewhere. Both are gone AFAIAC.

I believe you can have both, and while I'm not interested in professionalism, having both would be cool. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

. In a very real sense, it can be said that a person's early audience is part of the reason they got the bigger audience later (at least in Linus' situation).

That's like saying a new company starts making a product and becomes popular so the company gets bigger due to demand. Then said company modifies product but the original buyers don't like it , but with the modification the company appeals to a new buyer or demographic and gets bigger. The company will keep providing a product as long as it is still popular and not change due to a minority dislike. As has been said before vote with your feet , if you don't like the product walk . If it gets to a point that what Linus is doing is losing a big proportion of members then he has to look at doing things differently or sink. Only time and member numbers will tell.

That's like saying a new company starts making a product and becomes popular so the company gets bigger due to demand. Then said company modifies product but the original buyers don't like it , but with the modification the company appeals to a new buyer or demographic and gets bigger. The company will keep providing a product as long as it is still popular and not change due to a minority dislike. As has been said before vote with your feet , if you don't like the product walk . If it gets to a point that what Linus is doing is losing a big proportion of members then he has to look at doing things differently or sink. Only time and member numbers will tell.

The difference is that Linus is one person and in control of a company. But he himself is not a company and he is free to make whatever decisions he wants regarding that company. Because of that, I believe it's different. You can't interact directly with a company and have them "know" you. 

It feels different when a person (rather than a company) actively makes the choice to changes things.

And again, as I said, I believe he changed the things that I enjoyed about it to get the things he needed to grow bigger. I can accept that for obvious reasons (far be it from me that I should tell him not to be successful when he can be). However, I believe he could've done both.

† Christian Member †

You fail to realize that a company must evolve and adapt in order to remain successful.

I personally prefer hardware and PC related products, reviews, and news.  I also see the merit in broadening the spectrum of products in order to grow, and appeal to a larger audience.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the very balanced, insightful and tempered discussion here, it is common to see any kind of criticism dismissed out of hand on the internet, I'm glad this is not the case here and that it has been so civil.

I agree with OP, but realistically this is what happens with all forms of media. If you don't like it, stop watching. "Vote with your wallet" if I may paraphrase.

Linus's business makes him money and the cold hard reality is nothing else matters. The old LTT model of picking up some random hardware from the warehouse next door and shooting the video with a camcorder simply isn't attractive to manufacturers, which is a problem because his subscriber base uses adblock. 

Opinions are like a##holes, everybody has one and they ( and you) are entitled to it. Just the same as if you don't like the channel or content no one is forcing you to watch it.

This is an outlook I simply don't get. Where I come from, it is considered polite to give feedback on what you don't like and not just pack your bags and run away. It shows that you care, and gives the people in question data to change if they suddenly realize what they're doing isn't very popular.

In North America, it seems people absolutely do not want criticism, which is why I suspect so many companies in North America simply fail within the first year. If you don't care to hear criticism, you're going to be an abject failure in life in everything you do.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This is an outlook I simply don't get. Where I come from, it is considered polite to give feedback on what you don't like and not just pack your bags and run away. It shows that you care, and gives the people in question data to change if they suddenly realize what they're doing isn't very popular.

In North America, it seems people absolutely do not want criticism, which is why I suspect so many companies in North America simply fail within the first year. If you don't care to hear criticism, you're going to be an abject failure in life in everything you do.

Sorry about repost still learning to drive my iPad Air !!!!!!!!

I notice you singled myself and ShearMe out. We both said if you don't like it don't watch. If you feel that passionately about it why not shoot a private message off to LTT instead of going public, that's what I'd do if it means that much to you. As you so rightly said it has been a very balanced and tempered discussion but, it could have gone bad. At the end of the day we will agree to disagree ,no hard feelings.

I agree with a lot of the criticism here. I have gone from watching every single greatest video he uploads to only watching the WAN(k) show.
All his recent videos feel less personal and more like commercials.
The videos have gone from watching Linus talk about some random product, to fancy glamor shots and Linus talking about the product, while spending huge amounts of money hiring new people all the time and trying to make his very expensive equipment work properly.

The TechQuickie videos are really boring as well but I guess they are aimed at people who don't know that much about computers so I shouldn't complain about that too much.
They are just so basic though. You could get most of the same info by reading the first paragraph on Wikipedia.

I haven't seen much of the old stuff, but I've watched every LTT video from this last month or so (since I started watching Linus' vids). I've enjoyed almost all of them. I find the vids to be both thorough and authentic. Slick's great too. I'd be down for more Slick-only vids. I've also been enjoying the WAN show. I'd support them taking another day a week to do another less scripted, casual, or community oriented video. The whole LTT crew seems pretty cool. While I think that Linus and Slick make great hosts and mascots for the LMG overall, I'd like to see more of the crew, even if it's just them chilling drinking or playing a board game or talking about some topics (assuming Linus doesn't rule them with an iron fist).

Oh no less than a video a day! Do you realize how many videos a video a day is?

*I shall discuss all other points tomorrow*

I feel the same way. All his newer videos seem like commercials rather than reviews anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.  I watched for maybe the last two years or so, and I always come to the forum for information, but I never made an account before now.

Linus now cares about smart phones, highest quality videos (that youtube compresses to hell anyway) and any little gadget that may generate a few more viewers.  I understand in any business you need to expand your horizons and welcome new customers, but Linus is completely forgetting about his original customers..  the ones who care about pc enthusiast stuff. I haven't seen any coverage on rigid water cooling tubing, or anything like that.  

I think Linus has lost all interest in PC enthusiast stuff..  he cares about his business in the long run.  Which is fine, I understand.. I just wish he would throw the old schoolers a bone.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the very balanced, insightful and tempered discussion here, it is common to see any kind of criticism dismissed out of hand on the internet, I'm glad this is not the case here and that it has been so civil.

I agree with a lot of the criticism here. I am gone from watching every single greatest video he uploads to only watching the WAN(k) show.

All his recent videos feel less personal and more like commercials.

The videos have gone from watching Linus talk about some random product, to fancy glamor shots and Linus talking about the product, while spending huge amounts of money hiring new people all the time and trying to make his very expensive equipment work properly.

The TechQuickie videos are really boring as well but I guess they are aimed at people who don't know that much about computers so I shouldn't complain about that too much.

They are just so basic though. You could get most of the same info by reading the first paragraph on Wikipedia.

I feel the same way. All his newer videos seem like commercials rather than reviews anymore.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP.  I watched for maybe the last two years or so, and I always come to the forum for information, but I never made an account before now.

Linus now cares about smart phones, highest quality videos (that youtube compresses to hell anyway) and any little gadget that may generate a few more viewers.  I understand in any business you need to expand your horizons and welcome new customers, but Linus is completely forgetting about his original customers..  the ones who care about pc enthusiast stuff. I haven't seen any coverage on rigid water cooling tubing, or anything like that.  

I think Linus has lost all interest in PC enthusiast stuff..  he cares about his business in the long run.  Which is fine, I understand.. I just wish he would throw the old schoolers a bone.

People who understand me :D I figured if anyone agreed with me, it'd be few and far in-between. 

HappyRageGuy.png

† Christian Member †

It seems like a lot of people who are saying, "I like the videos of the silly gadgets" don't realize, is that Linus doesn't believe what he's saying in those videos.  Those companies paid him to praise their product.  It's as simple as that.

In the old days, we knew Corsair was paying him, or Intel, or whoever, but he would openly tell us the downsides, and also showcase the competition the next day.  I feel like nothing I see anymore has Linus' opinion in it.. its just paid product placements, or a flat out commercial.

I have NOTHING against Linus growing his business and taking in money wherever he can, but I think he could do that while ALSO making videos directly at PC enthusiasts.. not just the broader audience, which he is obviously trying to appeal to.  

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

The only thing I miss is the unboxings

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

The worst phrase in all of eternity is, 

"You fail to realize..."

Assuming that someone "fails to realize" something...  well, I wish I could also be a mind reader.. must be nice.

Man I hate that stupid phrase..  it doesn't make you sound smart, just arrogant, assuming you know someone's thoughts.