Disadvantages to using Display Adapters??

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

There are no negative side effects to passive adapters.

A DisplayPort input (monitor port) cannot accept anything other than a DisplayPort signal.

However the DisplayPort output (Graphics card port) can output to a DP, HDMI, or DVI port on your monitor.

I think HDMI -> HDMI plus two DVI -> HDMI would work best for you.

Whats up fellow LTTipians!

Just as the topic title says... Are there any disadvantages / negatives / cons to using display adapters or cable adapters?

-- In Example --

The 3 monitors I just purchased only have HDMI connections. Only having one HDMI on my Single GPU, I will need to use these: HDMI-to-DVI  &  HDMI-to-DisplayPort Cables.

So, again, compared to having direct HDMI-to-HDMI, DVI-to-DVI, and DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cables - Will the cables I listed above have any negative effects?

After 30+ minutes of searching and researching, I wasn't able to find anything definitive; hell, nothing worthy at all!

I'm sure there are others that might be curious about this, so any responses & experiences would be of great help.

Please throw some knowledge in my direction! I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

In theory latency, but less than is noticeable (none really) unless it's an active adapter. If you have to use an active adapter its recomended to just use another kind of port. And depending on your motherboard some support using pass through to use the hdmi port on your motherboard.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

In theory latency, but less than is noticeable (none really) unless it's an active adapter. If you have to use an active adapter its recomended to just use another kind of port. And depending on your motherboard some support using pass through to use the hdmi port on your motherboard.

I'm new to monitors, I've always gone with whatever worked.. So, few questions if I may:

1) What exactly is an active adapter?

2) If it is an active adapter, what do you mean use another kind of port? The monitor ONLY has HDMI.. Unless I misunderstood what you're saying?

3) I would prefer not to use the motherboard. My GPU is a EVGA GTX 780 Classified, it has x2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 DisplayPort. I would prefer to use the 1 DVI, 1 DP and 1 HDMI. It can be done with the cables I listed.. I just don't know what effects it will have, if any..?

And just for reference, I will be purchasing high quality cables. So, another question... Anything specific I should look for as far as 'high quality' goes? Gold connectors, thickness, etcetc?

Thanks for the help so far mate.

I'm new to monitors, I've always gone with whatever worked.. So, few questions if I may:

1) What exactly is an active adapter?

2) If it is an active adapter, what do you mean use another kind of port? The monitor ONLY has HDMI.. Unless I misunderstood what you're saying?

3) I would prefer not to use the motherboard. My GPU is a EVGA GTX 780 Classified, it has x2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 DisplayPort. I would prefer to use the 1 DVI, 1 DP and 1 HDMI. It can be done with the cables I listed.. I just don't know what effects it will have, if any..?

And just for reference, I will be purchasing high quality cables. So, another question... Anything specific I should look for as far as 'high quality' goes? Gold connectors, thickness, etcetc?

Thanks for the help so far mate.

DO NOT buy "high quality cables" its a scam. It used to be true back when we used VGA but not on HDMI DP or DVI. One of the advantages of using digital is that it is not in any way seceptible to interference in term of data transfer (i.e. cables)

And no you would still be using the horsepower from your graphics card just using the port on your motherboard. but this only works under certain circumstances. (i think)

And an active adapter is typically more expensive and require an external power source since its usually using logic (a mini computer built into the adapter) to transform the signal to whatever the port on the other side is. For example I don't think there is such a thing as a DVI to HDMI passive adapter. You'd need an active adapter which, can be expensive but really if you must it's not a huge drawback.

But as for DP to HDMI I believe you can just buy a cable that has DP on one end and HDMI on the other, no need for an adapter.

Edit: I was absolutely wrong, they do make passive DVI to HDMI adapters

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270114

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

High quality cables used to matter, when people used VGA.  It was an analogue connection, so better quality cables with better shielding could cut down on interference and get a better picture.

HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort are all digital signals, which means that any distortion caused by interference is corrected by the device on the other end.  Shielding doesn't matter, the quality of the cable doesn't matter other than getting one that won't fall apart.  "Gold-plated" "high-speed" cables are scams, and if you are paying more than $10-15 for a 2m cable then you are doing it wrong :)

HDMI and DVI are electrically compatible, so adapters between those two standards are passive, basically just rearranging the pins into the shape of the other connector.  There is no latency or any loss involved other than the fact that audio won't be carried over, because DVI does not have audio support.  Neither DVI or HDMI can output to a DisplayPort device.

A DisplayPort output port on your graphics card can output to both DVI and HDMI devices however, with passive adapters (again, just rearranging pins, the DisplayPort controller in the graphics card will output a DP, HDMI, or DVI signal depending on what you plug it into).  Again, no latency, or any losses here.  DisplayPort to HDMI will carry audio over, DisplayPort to DVI will not.

An active adapter would be required for DisplayPort to VGA or HDMI to VGA.  Converting these digital signals into analogue signals requires some converter circuitry, and this will add a lot of cost and some latency.  For DVI, there is a special version of DVI called DVI-I with 4 extra pins, which will output to VGA natively, via a passive adapter.

Technically, passive ones should be called adapters, and active ones should be called converters, but it seems like the word adapter is just used for everything these days.

In your case some $10-$15 DVI to HDMI or DisplayPort to HDMI cables would be just fine, you won't have any problems.

DO NOT buy "high quality cables" its a scam. It used to be true back when we used VGA but not on HDMI DP or DVI. One of the advantages of using digital is that it is not in any way seceptible to interference in term of data transfer (i.e. cables)

And no you would still be using the horsepower from your graphics card just using the port on your motherboard. but this only works under certain circumstances. (i think)

And an active adapter is typically more expensive and require an external power source since its usually using logic (a mini computer built into the adapter) to transform the signal to whatever the port on the other side is. For example I don't think there is such a thing as a DVI to HDMI passive adapter. You'd need an active adapter which, can be expensive but really if you must it's not a huge drawback.

But as for DP to HDMI I believe you can just buy a cable that has DP on one end and HDMI on the other, no need for an adapter.

Edit: I was absolutely wrong, they do make passive DVI to HDMI adapters

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270114

High quality cables used to matter, when people used VGA.  It was an analogue connection, so better quality cables with better shielding could cut down on interference and get a better picture.

HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort are all digital signals, which means that any distortion caused by interference is corrected by the device on the other end.  Shielding doesn't matter, the quality of the cable doesn't matter other than getting one that won't fall apart.  "Gold-plated" "high-speed" cables are scams, and if you are paying more than $10-15 for a 2m cable then you are doing it wrong :)

HDMI and DVI are electrically compatible, so adapters between those two standards are passive, basically just rearranging the pins into the shape of the other connector.  There is no latency or any loss involved other than the fact that audio won't be carried over, because DVI does not have audio support.  Neither DVI or HDMI can output to a DisplayPort device.

A DisplayPort output port on your graphics card can output to both DVI and HDMI devices however, with passive adapters (again, just rearranging pins, the DisplayPort controller in the graphics card will output a DP, HDMI, or DVI signal depending on what you plug it into).  Again, no latency, or any losses here.  DisplayPort to HDMI will carry audio over, DisplayPort to DVI will not.

An active adapter would be required for DisplayPort to VGA or HDMI to VGA.  Converting these digital signals into analogue signals requires some converter circuitry, and this will add a lot of cost and some latency.  For DVI, there is a special version of DVI called DVI-I with 4 extra pins, which will output to VGA natively, via a passive adapter.

Technically, passive ones should be called adapters, and active ones should be called converters, but it seems like the word adapter is just used for everything these days.

In your case some $10-$15 DVI to HDMI or DisplayPort to HDMI cables would be just fine, you won't have any problems.

Ok guys, as far as the cables go I fully understand.

But, is there any negative effects in performance by using those cables?

Any at all?

Also, @Glenwing you said something about HDMI can't output to DP? Because that was one of the other 2 that I needed. I would prefer to use it over x2 HDMI to DVI, unless I need to? Please clarify!

Thanks guys, you've been great help so far.

Ok guys, as far as the cables go I fully understand.

But, is there any negative effects in performance by using those cables?

Any at all?

Also, @Glenwing you said something about HDMI can't output to DP? Because that was one of the other 2 that I needed. I would prefer to use it over x2 HDMI to DVI, unless I need to? Please clarify!

Thanks guys, you've been great help so far.

Regarding Glenwing's post, if you have an hdmi to dp cable, you can insert the dp into your graphics card and the hdmi into your monitor and it will work. It won't work if you had a monitor with dp and inserted the hdmi into your graphics card and the do into the monitor.

A DisplayPort input (monitor port) cannot accept anything other than a DisplayPort signal.

However the DisplayPort output (Graphics card port) can output to a DP, HDMI, or DVI port on your monitor.

Regarding Glenwing's post, if you have an hdmi to dp cable, you can insert the dp into your graphics card and the hdmi into your monitor and it will work. It won't work if you had a monitor with dp and inserted the hdmi into your graphics card and the do into the monitor.

Ahh, gotcha. Yep, that's how I planned on doing it.

Final question regarding your post - Why do you say use two HDMI -> DVI instead of HDMI -> DP? Any specific reason?

Once I get that question answered - I just want to go ahead and say thank you so much to everyone who answered! You answered well above and beyond what I asked, with extra tips & knowledge on the side. I appreciate everyone's help,

Ahh, gotcha. Yep, that's how I planned on doing it.

Final question regarding your post - Why do you say use two HDMI -> DVI instead of HDMI -> DP? Any specific reason?

Once I get that question answered - I just want to go ahead and say thank you so much to everyone who answered! You answered well above and beyond what I asked, with extra tips & knowledge on the side. I appreciate everyone's help,

Just that using 3 different ports bothers me, not really any real reason though.  DP adapters tend to be a few dollars more expensive too.

Just that using 3 different ports bothers me, not really any real reason though.  DP adapters tend to be a few dollars more expensive too.

(Not to sound crude)

I don't care about money. This has been the ONE fortunate factor in my life.

That's why I was initially saying I was going with the highest quality cables - Until you guys set me straight. Not caring about money, and blowing it for NO reason are two different things, haha. If there was even a .001% difference, I would go for it without a care. But since there isn't - I see no point. I'll just go with some decent ones by a brand I trust.

Yeah, I did 3-Day delivery on the 3 monitors from Newegg. I went with the ASUS MX239H. So i'll be going to my local Tiger Direct or BestBuy to grab the cables tomorrow. I will be modifying a 3-monitor articulating mount to hold them, since those monitors aren't VESA-compatible. Which is more than fine, I have modified others before and you can't tell if they're VESA or not. Quite simple process, actually.

• 2 years later...
On 5/20/2014 at 5:37 AM, Glenwing said:

Long-time (early A.M.) forum lurker, here. Became a member to commend you for demonstrating that you have a brain (well, half, at the very least - lol).

Way to go.

-Fame

• 3 years later...
On 5/20/2014 at 12:37 PM, Glenwing said:

An DP to HDMI passive adapter only works if your graphics card or motherboard can output double channel mode if it doesn't then a active adapter is necessary

1 hour ago, ThunderSplash said:

An DP to HDMI passive adapter only works if your graphics card or motherboard can output double channel mode if it doesn't then a active adapter is necessary

Technically true, but all devices support dual-mode output, so it's not really a concern. It's so standard that manufacturers don't bother specifying it anymore.