Disassembling my CM Quickfire TK (red switch/backlight). Lots o' pictures. Oh, and experimentation :D.

@TheProfosist @CM Norumu (to prove I own it :P)

I don't play LoL, I just like this song.

Hi guys,

I had promised to take apart my CM Quickfire TK (red switch/backlight version) at some point or another similarly to how I did the same to my Monoprice Blue Switch Mechanical Keyboard. I have been putting it off for a looong time. Well, it's about the end of my usage phase (I use it for 6 months), so I figured it's finally time. Note that is probably why is looks a little... well... used. 

TL;DR: 

I like it. It's very well built, feels sturdy, and doesn't have much flex to it at all. The keycaps are good particularly in that they have yet to be "shiny/slippery" (i.e. rubbing off the textured coating from typing). 

Anyway, on to the pictures. Remember guys, be responsible. Put pictures in spoilers if there are ever more than 1 and they are large (or any combination of either... wait, what? lol). Note: These pics are huge in resolution (2688 x 1520), blame my HTC One's camera. I'm not downscaling them. :P The Forum's auto-scaling should be good enough. Click for bigger pictures. Don't ask me why everything looks like it has a halo around it (the edges of each picture is brighter than the rest of the picture unless I used flash). I have no idea why. I cleaned the camera.

14039893268_40fbf0e858_o.jpg

Here it is. I know it's dirty. Leave me alone. That's part of the advantage of these disassemblies. A perfect time to clean them. *DUH DUH DUUUUUUUH* ... What was that noise? I don't like where this is going... the ominous foreshadowing... nooooooo!

14226321734_1243595818_o.jpg

This is when I took all the screws out. There are 7 (seven). Each screw is by the hole it came out of. There's one under the Quality Control sticker and 1 under each top rubber pad. I like the grippy pads. They are adequate, and I removed them and added them, and even dunked them in bleach water and they still stick very well. So disassembly is made easier.

14226319254_06dfe72783_o.jpg

The top part of the case taken off. I love the red backplate. It's metal. Makes it very very rigid. And it's a sexy color red. :D Red is my favorite color!

14203399186_1c78cc9819_o.jpg

A little closer look of the keyboard. While it looks like the key caps are worn, they aren't. They are just as textured as when I bought this thing 6 months ago and that's after non-stop usage almost every day for those 6 months of ownership.

If you know me on this forum, at all, you know I type a lot. If that doesn't say anything about this keyboard finish's durability, I don't know what does.

14223228991_e3fed02efb_o.jpg

The key caps taken off. Look at all those LED's and Red Switches :D. Note the screws haven't moved. Just ignore them. Also note how the key caps are only black on the outside. Not sure if that's relevant, but I'm sure keyboard enthusiasts care. (*cough* TheProfosist *cough*)

I LOOOOOOVE the stabilizers. I hate the metal brackets that some other keyboards use for the longer keys (i.e. space, backspace, caps lock, etc). Stabilizers make putting them on and taking them off a load easier.

14226528355_94d5ddd2cf_o.jpg

Here's a very clear close-up to the PCB under the Metal Plate (ignore the food bits, those are probably sunflower seed kernel bits). I love how Cooler Master clearly labels everything. It would make custom mods a bit easier I think. Or at least letting you know specifics about your particular keyboard or something.

14223223691_765ce87951_o.jpg

A picture of the keyboard without the top part of the case and the key caps with my camera's flash on. 

14226522395_d1ee0f1441_o.jpg

A picture of the keyboard without the key caps on, but turned on. Those fricking LEDs are bright! :D

14039909540_34be0160d0_o.jpg

Here are two things: 1. It's a nice close up on the keyboard without the key caps in the picture. 2. If you look, you will see screws sitting on the Metal Plate. There are 4. Two on the top half (top left, top middle) and two on the bottom half (bottom left, bottom right). These are the screws you remove to take off the back part of the casing. 

14223214261_108428a361_o.jpg

Here, we have the PCB+Metal Plate flipped out of the back of the case. Note the small PCB in the back of the case. This is where the Mini-B USB connector is located. Be careful! The wires are soldered to the PCB on both sides, and don't have a simple connector to disconnect them like the Monoprice keyboard did. Don't break them. I didn't, but I was careful because I was afraid of doing that. One wire looked like it didn't get a good solder and was flimsy already. You'll see that in a second. 

14039903630_4c4bc4f6a6_o.jpg

Note the two screws. One bottom left (holding down the little PCB) and the other top right (for the ground wire to the bigger PCB). They are right beside the holes they came out of. Specifically, the bottom right screw came out of the hole to the right of it. 

14039938317_d2732b24ee_o.jpg

I know it's a little blurry, but the top wire is the one that looks to be resoldered back on. I didn't do that. Oh well. The keyboard works, so I'm not worried. 

Here is a clearer version:

14223201541_2a70a68561_o.jpg

14246683333_6863b82a29_o.jpg

Here is a close up of the small PCB and it's soldering. Sorry about the focus. Note how the large ground wire is coming almost directly from the Micro-B USB female end.

14039889780_8759399ab7_o.jpg

Here's a picture of the back of the case with the flash on. 

And now, flash off:

14246673603_4318898363_o.jpg

Now... On to the Red Metal Backplate:

14226276904_b923dd6752_o.jpg

I had issues getting it in focus. The flash caused it to be too bright, but it was too dark to actually see without blur. Oh well. You can somewhat tell it's thickness here. Almost as thick as the Monoprice Blue Switch Mechanical Keyboard's Metal Plate. And it doesn't have the curved portions on the edge here, but do note that the metal plate is curved along the top (where the F1-F12 keys are) and the bottom (where the Ctrl, Alt, Windows, and Space keys are) of the keyboard. This gives it extra rigidity, but not as much as the Monoprice keyboard had imo. But hey, we are comparing a Full size keyboard to a TK keyboard. Not exactly fair, is it?

14226274534_82d3e8527c_o.jpg

Here's a better shot imo. More of a glamour shot than anything. I wish I had better lighting. Oh well. Maybe next time. I may come back and update this with better lit shots. Maybe. I don't know.

Moar glamour shots (bonus points to whoever can make these 3 pictures into a half decent GIF):

14226488965_c254064bec_o.jpg14246662733_95d67a2656_o.jpg14226266254_27c0c388ed_o.jpg

Alright, enough glamour shots of the side of the PCB, lanes of Switches, and a red metal plate. Back to the overview style thing. 

14246658103_273135dc5c_o.jpg

Here's a view of the PCB and where the wire to the Mini-B USB connector and the chip that handles it is exactly.

14203343826_a472c9f92a_o.jpg

And here's a similar view of just the keyboard metal plate with switches again. I'm going in reverse now. As I'm putting it back together, though that gets boring fast (why not just scroll up if you just want to see the process in reverse?). So skipping ahead...

At this point I decided it was time to clean the thing. So I get the Metal Plate + PCB (pictured directly above), and process to run it under the faucet (i.e. water) in a power washing fashion. Then, once it's done, I dry/shake it off as best I can. Then I throw it in the oven at 230F (110C) for a while. ... You think I'm joking, don't you? >This is the experimenting bit. :D<

14223173501_4d43006370_b.jpg14226474195_065e2f99d8_o.jpg14224142942_be9596c380_o.jpg

Now I left it in there for a while (15-30 minutes). It was fine, albeit hot, when I pulled it out. Seriously. No melting occurred. None. I did smell a faint plastic/heat smell, but I inspected the entire thing and found no blemishes, so I rocked on. 

14246646693_3238a389f8_o.jpg

Post extreme cleaning process... The Front/back of the case and internals...

14039819358_6117006f94_o.jpg

Just the back of the case and the internals... (closer picture)

14039854290_1ca7e0f399_o.jpg

Close up of the internals themselves. As you can see it's still a wee bit dirty, and a tiny bit of water is still on it. At this point, I figured that was good enough, so rebuilding occurs. 

14039809109_9194527273_o.jpg

Here's a picture of the internals fully inside the casing without key caps. I forgot to do this during the disassembly, so here you go. I really like the aesthetics of this keyboard. 

14039848650_a038ab1247_o.jpg

Side shot of the cleaned (mostly) keyboard. 

Now guys, I'm sure you are wondering, what happened next? (Who am I kidding? You thought that was the end after ALL THOSE PICTURES.)

Well, it wasn't. I decided to re-do my heat experiment with the fully assembled keyboard. Bad idea. The key caps slowly melted and are now scrap. The keyboard itself still works which is epic imo (note I used the same temperature, but probably more time). Some keys do strange things like activate the keys next to them (i.e. pressing L triggers L & ; ) so I think there's still some water in it. Gonna give it some time to dry before I bother with it again. Probably gonna buy some custom key caps as well. 

It looked weird, they melted so perfectly. Imagine how you see things slowly melt, yet they still look solid even though they are melting. That's how they looked (I didn't get pictures). 

It seems every time I experiement, I break something. That's ok. I like learning anyway. Apparently 230F is too much for whatever plastic the key caps are made of for long durations of time. Even the casing is ever so slightly (and I mean slightly) warped, so it is good I pulled it out when I did. 

Anyway, you get the idea. 

I am pretty sure this voids the warranty.... Almost certain. Not quite though. I'm kidding, never do this to any of your peripherals unless you are just crazy like I am. 

So yeah, there is my disassembling of my Mechanical Keyboard. Do not make the same mistakes I did. However, taking it apart made the casing absurdly easy to clean. Just run it under water and wipe it off (or dunk it in water with a tiny drop of bleach in it like I did). It's not as big a concern since it's matte and not glossy though, so do what you wish. Easy as pie regardless.

Next on my list will be a Logitech G710+ keyboard. I'm choosing this one because I want Brown switches next, I want to see if I would bother to use Macro keys, and I want media controls + headphone/microphone jack. I wonder what temperatures it will bake a-, er, I mean.... How easy it will be to clean. :D I'll also be painting it (I don't like orange), when I disassemble it, so that disassembly will get a special section. Yaaay for special/unique content (for me at least)!

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. 

Also, if anyone knows where I can get some key caps for this keyboard for relatively cheap, that'd be great. Stuck using my Monoprice Blue Switch Mechanical Keyboard until I get new ones or the G710+.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You weren't kidding when you said a lot of pictures. 

31, to be specific. :D And no, I don't keed.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Good write up! The more pic's the better!

I have the G710+ so no trashing it when you get it, like baking it. :mellow:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

wasdkeyboards has decent keycaps.

Yes, but I know some keyboards need a specific set of key caps due to how the sloping is set for the keys. ... Like, some keyboards are flat. Some are more ergonomic. I don't know what this one needs.

Good write up! The more pic's the better!

I have the G710+ so no trashing it when you get it, like baking it. :mellow:

Thanks, and I agree. :D 

Awesome. ... I promise nothing.  :ph34r:

† Christian Member †

@Vitalius did I ask you to do this or did you have any questions? Sorry but I have a horrible memory for most things.

You weren't kidding when you said a lot of pictures.

yea for sure!

@Vitalius did I ask you to do this or did you have any questions? Sorry but I have a horrible memory for most things.

You mentioned that you wished more people would do disassemblies of their keyboards. Something to do with knowing the quality of one's PCB, parts in general, or similar.

I don't really remember the specifics. I just remember you were interested in them.

† Christian Member †

You mentioned that you wished more people would do disassemblies of their keyboards. Something to do with knowing the quality of one's PCB, parts in general, or similar.

I don't really remember the specifics. I just remember you were interested in them.

yea since there are so many new brands and i really have a felling the "gaming" companies are cutting corners.

That a single sided PCB going by the stuff on the upper right and how full and simplistic looking the back (green) side is. Also you can see the ends of the jumper wires which are used on the opposite side to save money instead of going with a dual sided PCB. Most keyboard companies do this but that PCB even looks like single layer one which is why the keyboard has a plate to take the stress since that PCB couldnt.

Some of that solder work looks quite shoddy. What was wrong with it that you had to bake it?

Some of that solder work looks quite shoddy. What was wrong with it that you had to bake it?

It was wet after cleaning it. It was basically an experiment and me being impatient rolled into one. The PCB and keys were fine. They work. It's the key caps that couldn't handle 230F (110C).

† Christian Member †

It was wet after cleaning it. It was basically an experiment and me being impatient rolled into one. The PCB and keys were fine. They work. It's the key caps that couldn't handle 230F (110C).

oh lol

yea keycaps are ABS or possibly something else since theyre clear. I doubt polycarb or acrylic though. The switches are PBT which is why they didnt melt.

oh lol

yea keycaps are ABS or possibly something else since theyre clear. I doubt polycarb or acrylic though. The switches are PBT which is why they didnt melt.

Interesting. So I'll be getting PBT key caps next time so baking is a valid way to dry the keyboard. :D

Thanks for the info. I knew I remembered there were generally 2 types of plastic for key caps. ABS being the "lesser quality" while PBT being the "higher quality". 

† Christian Member †

Yes, but I know some keyboards need a specific set of key caps due to how the sloping is set for the keys. ... Like, some keyboards are flat. Some are more ergonomic. I don't know what this one needs.

Heads up, Quickfire TK has very awkward to buy for keys, the only sets I've seen that fit it are the Max Keyboard ones.

Everything cept the bottom row is fine, but the bottom row and especially the space bar is a pain to find replacements anywhere, I've looked for ages.

Damn, that  was interesting, if not slightly painful to read about the oven.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Heads up, Quickfire TK has very awkward to buy for keys, the only sets I've seen that fit it are the Max Keyboard ones.

Everything cept the bottom row is fine, but the bottom row and especially the space bar is a pain to find replacements anywhere, I've looked for ages.

Thank you for the input. Then I may ask CM directly if I can just buy some keys. Doubt it, but I'll try. 

Agreed. It's ok though. It's just key caps. If all else fails, I can make my own (seriously). Not sure out of what, but a marker and some small styrofoam cut squares could work... *is seriously considering this*

† Christian Member †

Interesting. So I'll be getting PBT key caps next time so baking is a valid way to dry the keyboard. :D

Thanks for the info. I knew I remembered there were generally 2 types of plastic for key caps. ABS being the "lesser quality" while PBT being the "higher quality".

yea are a handful of others they are just far les common

yea that what ther get for not just having a standard US ANSI bottom row of:

| 1.25x | 1.25x | 1.25x | 6.25x | 1.25x | 1.25x | 1.25x | 1.25x |

Thank you for the input. Then I may ask CM directly if I can just buy some keys. Doubt it, but I'll try. 

Agreed. It's ok though. It's just key caps. If all else fails, I can make my own (seriously). Not sure out of what, but a market and some small styrofoam cut squares could work... *is seriously considering this*

just grab the mains set and get close ones from WASD or MAX keyboards does have some nice sets. you should also be able to piece something together out of old Cherry DS caps.

yea are a handful of others they are just far les common

yea that what ther get for not just having a standard US ANSI bottom row of:

| 1.25x | 1.25x | 1.25x | 6.25x | 1.25x | 1.25x | 1.25x | 1.25x |

just grab the mains set and get close ones from WASD or MAX keyboards does have some nice sets. you should also be able to piece something together out of old Cherry DS caps.

I figured. Like Topre switches. 

I love that you know that. xD

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out and probably add an addendum to the end of the first post showing what I did.

† Christian Member †

I figured. Like Topre switches. 

I love that you know that. xD

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out and probably add an addendum to the end of the first post showing what I did.

That board as a heads up looks like its

| 1.5x | 1x | 1.25x | 6.5x | 1.25x | 1x | 1x | 1.5x |

so its going to be a pain to find the correct spacebar size. you should be able to use a standard 6.25 one though as long as the stabs line up. I really suggest the aluminum ones that feng sells on ebay.

That board as a heads up looks like its

| 1.5x | 1x | 1.25x | 6.5x | 1.25x | 1x | 1x | 1.5x |

so its going to be a pain to find the correct spacebar size. you should be able to use a standard 6.25 one though as long as the stabs line up. I really suggest the aluminum ones that feng sells on ebay.

Cool. What do the numbers represent? Key cap width?

Hmm, alrighty then. Mhmm, Aluminium key caps :3

† Christian Member †

Cool. What do the numbers represent? Key cap width?

Hmm, alrighty then. Mhmm, Aluminium key caps :3

that is the width of each key in relation to a single keycap which is mostly a standard for keyboard with removable caps.

that is the width of each key in relation to a single keycap which is mostly a standard for keyboard with removable caps.

That is what I figured. Thanks. I didn't know they had a standard like that. I mean, I know that pretty much any mass produced thing has a standard that's usually unique to those types of products, but I never considered what a keyboards would be. 

It makes sense. 

† Christian Member †

That is what I figured. Thanks. I didn't know they had a standard like that. I mean, I know that pretty much any mass produced thing has a standard that's usually unique to those types of products, but I never considered what a keyboards would be. 

It makes sense.

yea not all switches have the same caps but they are measured the same way. Like BS (buckling spring), Cherry MX, ALPS, and Topre. Their all close but not exactly the same size or design necessarily.

• 7 months later...

Hi, came from the first impression post of this keyboard, which was great! 

I'm thinking about repainting the backplate of my keyboard (QuickFire TK brown switches) since the one I got is brown and doesn't go well with the white backlight that it comes with IMO. So, is the backplate removable from the PCB?

What was the point of disassembling the keyboard? Are you going to modify it at some point?

On a side note, that spacebar is a whore. I've got some nice keycaps for mine and it screws up everything because of it's size

What was the point of disassembling the keyboard? Are you going to modify it at some point?

On a side note, that spacebar is a whore. I've got some nice keycaps for mine and it screws up everything because of it's size

because the important stuff is all in the inside so someone has to take it apart.

• 7 months later...

So i can spill a smudge amount of beer and my quickfire tk brown switches ($175 now) will tank yet you can bake it and it still works:p. Kudos to you man! pretty epic picture gallery.