Building an entry level gaming rig for a friend

BgG286

Hey everyone! As many people know, it is quite hard to convince a console gamer to switch over to PC gaming. I am trying to do so, but first I need to build him a rig. Here's what I have (as spare parts) an Asus p5g41t-m lx2/gb motherboard with an Intel Celeron E3400 and I can get him a Radeon HD 6770 for $50. Would this be good at all or should i just tell him to buy something new? Thanks

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

[h=4]is that cpu even compatible?

P5G41T-M LX2/GBpoint-16.gif The following table shows the supported CPUs for this motherboard[/h]

[TABLE]

[TR=class: word-black-12]

[TD=width: 48%, bgcolor: #e0e0e0, align: left]

CPU[/TD]

[TD=width: 12%, bgcolor: #e0e0e0, align: left]

Since PCB[/TD]

[TD=width: 12%, bgcolor: #e0e0e0, align: left]

Since BIOS[/TD]

[TD=width: 28%, bgcolor: #e0e0e0, align: left]

Note[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #ffffff]

[TD=class: word-black-12, align: left]

Pentium Dual Core E5800 (3.2GHz,800FSB,L2:2MB,rev.R0)[/TD]

ALL[/TD]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 40]

0408[/TD]

[TD=width: 73]

gogo.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #ffffff]

Pentium Dual Core E6600 (3.06GHz,1066FSB,L2:2MB,rev.R0)[/TD]

ALL[/TD]

[TABLE]

[TR]

0304[/TD]

gogo.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=bgcolor: #FFFFD9]

Pentium Dual Core E6700 (3.2GHz,1066FSB,L2:2MB,rev.R0)[/TD]

ALL[/TD]

[TABLE]

[TR]

0401[/TD]

gogo.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Well it is currently hosting my minecraft server so yes it is compatible.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

He wont switch if he's getting a better framerate on console than with what will be quite frankly a half ass shambles of a 'gaming' computer that craps itself when it see's minecraft. Realistically - what is the aim of the system in terms of gaming? Are you looking to run Crysis 3 when it comes out at 1080P? or are you looking to skimp by on Minecraft at 40fps?

Hmm, I see your point. In that case, how well would my hardware, Asus m5a78l_m lx plus motherboard with a phenom ii x3 705e run with the 6770? Would that prove to be a decent enough build to get him started with pc gaming ? Will either of these bottleneck the other? I know that processor bottlenecks my 560ti at stock clocks .

That processor will more than likely bottleneck that card too

Are any of the APUs capable of doing hybrid crossfire with a 6770? If not, what can they crossfire with?

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1191738-_-01102013_1 Are the FM1 APUs even comparable to the FM2 APUs? And is that system a steal right now, even if its just to get my friend started?

Are any of the APUs capable of doing hybrid crossfire with a 6770? If not' date=' what can they crossfire with? EDIT: [url']http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-1191738-_-01102013_1 Are the FM1 APUs even comparable to the FM2 APUs? And is that system a steal right now, even if its just to get my friend started?

What is your friend's budget?

That system is particularly great though. It's cheap, but it's including a lot of components that's not really need for a low-end PC like that, which is resulting in a high cost - even with the discounts. For around the same price you might as well get something like this, though both systems don't come with an operating system.

Also, a HD6770 will not work with an APU, it's too much faster that there's really no point. Hybrid crossfire only works with a HD6670 or lower, but even then it's not worth it really.