Strange noise coming from CPU fan?

Go to solution Solved by Askew,

Hyper 212 EVO.

The clips that come with it can be used to mount other 120mm fans, from personal experience I recommend the Noctua NF-F12, it's designed for applications like heatsinks, it is very power efficient, quiet and uses good quality magnetic bearings.

There are plenty of other fans that will fit also, have a look around.

Good luck!

So, the first time I boot up my computer (when I get home from school) a fan makes a weird crackling sound until desktop. This noise, I found after troubleshooting was the product of my CPU fan. Weird, I thought. It is quite dusty, could this be a factor contributing to the noise? If so, what else could be? I have attached a sound file to this post if you want to hear it. 

https://soundcloud.com/bobthejigglebobby/cpu-fan

Any ideas? Thanks. 

Knackered bearing in the fan most likely.

Knackered bearing in the fan most likely.

Is there any fix? Or do I need to just buy a new fan?

Is there any fix? Or do I need to just buy a new fan?

New fan, bearings don't last forever, there are several different types of bearing that can be used in computer fans, maybe google a bit and choose a good one for your next fan. :)

I use Noctua NF-F12s for my CPU cooler, they are quite expensive and a lot of people think they're ugly but they have good bearings and a 6 year warranty.

It's probably something hitting the fan.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

New fan, bearings don't last forever, there are several different types of bearing that can be used in computer fans, maybe google a bit and choose a good one for your next fan. :)

I use Noctua NF-F12s for my CPU cooler, they are quite expensive and a lot of people think they're ugly but they have good bearings and a 6 year warranty.

Thanks! Don't I have to get some special clips that allow it to be mounted onto the CPU fan? Just a side note, I'm pretty sure the CPU fan plug on my motherboard is underneath the heatsink pretty much, so that might be a pain. 

It's probably something hitting the fan.

There is nothing hitting the fan. I checked multiple times. 

Thanks! Don't I have to get some special clips that allow it to be mounted onto the CPU fan? Just a side note, I'm pretty sure the CPU fan plug on my motherboard is underneath the heatsink pretty much, so that might be a pain. 

What cooler do you have?

No, I'm pretty sure you can use regular screws. What CPU cooler do you have? Do you have a CPU header anywhere else near the cooler other than under the heatsink?

There is nothing hitting the fan. I checked multiple times. 

OK, then never mind.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hyper 212 EVO.

The clips that come with it can be used to mount other 120mm fans, from personal experience I recommend the Noctua NF-F12, it's designed for applications like heatsinks, it is very power efficient, quiet and uses good quality magnetic bearings.

There are plenty of other fans that will fit also, have a look around.

Good luck!

There are plenty of other fans that will do the job as well, have a look around.

Good luck!

I don't think I have the clips anymore. Thank you for your help, though!

I don't think I have the clips anymore. Thank you for your help, though!

How is your current fan held on to the cooler?

How is your current fan held on to the cooler?

I'm using the stock fan, the ones with the clips already on it. 

I'm using the stock fan, the ones with the clips already on it.

Hmm, if those cannot be removed then I seem to remember that the 212 EVO does come with an extra bracket.

If not the 212 does have the mounting grooves on the side of the heatsink to attach the traditional wire mounting clips that come with other coolers.

You can get a set of the wire clips for 120mm fans for pennies and they will for your cooler and any 120mm fan.

Hmm, if those cannot be removed then I seem to remember that the 212 EVO does come with an extra bracket.

If not the 212 does have the mounting grooves on the side of the heatsink to attach the traditional wire mounting clips that come with other coolers.

You can get a set of the wire clips for 120mm fans for pennies and they will for your cooler and any 120mm fan.

Great! Thanks for all your help. I probably won't order a new fan until it gets worse, few months (I will probably dust it at a certain point).