Weird sound coming from computer which I assume is a fan?

When I start up my PC, one of the fans instantly makes a sort of crackling noise. Not sure which fan, but it is definitely a fan. The sound ceases when I get into the desktop, so I guess that fixes it, but how do I make it not make the noise? Is one of the fans loose? It may be the one in the front, because it has a screw-less fan installation (I have a Fractal Design Define XL R2, Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler, and HiS Radeon HD 7850 GPU. Any idea how to fix it or what is causing it? Thanks. 

You can try unplugging all the fans and plugging them back in one at a time to try it out. If you leave your case open and don't put any stress on the CPU then the temps won't be a problem.

can you make sure of this?

if its fan try em then remove 1 so on until you find it.

Live your life like a dream.

Might be related to the bearing (maybe loose?). Try lubricating it and see if it fixes it. Not sure what to use though to lubricate (maybe WD-40 but not sure if it is suitable for fans).

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The problem with this idea is that this sound only happens after starting up the computer for the first time that day. If I just turn it off and on again, the sound does not happen. 

The problem with this idea is that this sound only happens after starting up the computer for the first time that day. If I just turn it off and on again, the sound does not happen. 

That's kinda weird. I'd say unplug all your fans still and take a good listen, I doubt it's a fan if it's that consistently inconsistent.

That's kinda weird. I'd say unplug all your fans still and take a good listen, I doubt it's a fan if it's that consistently inconsistent.

Do you think it's the HDD or the optical drive? I ran a lot of HDD tests and they all came out positive that it's working fine (the WD extended tool). 

Can you try to troubleshoot ?

We can't guess what's going on on your rig since we can't hear the sound

Open the case, unplug all the fans except for the CPU, plug them back in one by one, find the broken one

Assuming it's a fan problem

I remembered also my laptop fan was like that. It made a weird sound at first boot like its not spinning smoothly and after I shutdown and turn it on its gone so I think it might be a bearing issue or having a lack to lubrication.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I remembered also my laptop fan was like that. It made a weird sound at first boot like its not spinning smoothly and after I shutdown and turn it on its gone so I think it might be a bearing issue or having a lack to lubrication.

In order to see which fan is the right one making the noise, I would have to do a 3 day test, because after it is done booting up, all is well and good. So I will try that. 

a crackling sound, sounds like it could just be mounted abit loosly, but if it stops at the desktop it doesn't sound that big of a problem, defiantly not worth changing the fans or anything (at least in my opinion)

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s