Asus PB287Q vs. Samsung U28D590D

So I am building a gaming PC and I was previously deciding between high refresh rate panels and 4k panels. I have decided to go 4k and both these monitors come in at around the same price. The asus panel is true 10-bit color and the samsung model is 8-bit and uses frame rate control dithering to achieve 1 billion color support. Both monitors run at 60hz and 1ms (GTG) response times. I was wondering which one I should get, to me it seems that the asus is a better panel and comes with more to offer but I am no expert and I want one's opinion.

Are you sure you have the graphics horsepower to drive a 4k monitor at 60hz?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Asus gets my vote. It has a vastly superior stand, which to me is both a good selling point and shows thoughtfulness that probably carries through other areas of the monitor.

No VESA on the Samsung? Really? Come on guys.

I kind of really hope he does. I'd love to hear about a twin Titan Black build in the making.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

its the same panel. Both made by AOC, pick the one that you find to have a prettier stand or that you can get cheaper. both are going to be a while before you can even get them easily the Samsung has been out of stock since before it was released lol

Maybe he just wants the 4K display so he can use the desktop in 4K and some games like FTL, Terraria, Starbound and any other 2D game n 4K and then just play intensive games at a lower resolution like 2560 or lower than that. Because that is what I plan on doing. Games like TF2 should run in 4K 60fps easily. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Yes, I am starting out with a single 780ti and then I plan to add a second one for sli in the near future.

What are the price points for both of them? Just wondering for myself, I know you said they were both around the same..

Samsung- $799

Asus- $800

Samsung- $799

Asus- $800

Considering the Asus is $300 less in US Amazon and $400 (half!) less as a refurbished off eBay I wouldn't pay $800 for it, even though that is in fact the monitor I'm currently saving for.

Might as well go 4K unless TN panels bother you.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Yes, I am starting out with a single 780ti and then I plan to add a second one for sli in the near future.

Ah ok then

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Samsung- $799

Asus- $800

Go for the Asus. I actually just saw someone on eBay selling a slightly used one for like $450. Not sure if that's the price you're looking for but I thought it was a great deal

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

Go for the Asus. I actually just saw someone on eBay selling a slightly used one for like $450. Not sure if that's the price you're looking for but I thought it was a great deal

Are you sure it wasn't a PB278Q (2.5k)?

I don't think their PB287Q (4k screen) is available for purchase just yet

Are you sure it wasn't a PB278Q (2.5k)?

I don't think their PB287Q (4k screen) is available for purchase just yet

The 4k one is not for sale yet as far as I am aware they haven't even announced the official release date yet.

its being released at computex id wait for it i received my samsung 590 today now my desk is very high but tilt foward would have came in handy for it today. instead i stuck a piece piece of carboard under the back of it just a tiny piece and it fixed my tilt . So now im viewing it direct on and looks great. few things to consider. first i had to set my desktop to 2560 x 1440  because it was near impossible to see anything in comfortable position and i can game at the full resolution. there is also a quark im not sure if its youtube or the monitor but when you play videos on youtube in 4k  there very very glittery and jerky looking to the point here unwatchable.and yes for that troll they are FULLY BUFFED 105 mbs connection ftw. As for the rest of it the colors are very nice. Blacks are Ehhh its extremely bright and gaming on it is a pleasure though certain games wont work like i tryed left for dead 2 and soon as i hit  3840 x 2160 it just flickered and im to lazy to reinstall the game. Honestly for me im just keeping this as a temporary monitor as though flaws are bothering me.  I want a full 4k resolution i can effectually see on the desktop with out 150% scaling yes even at 125 its difficult to see. In the fall Samsung and Lg as well as few other manufactors are coming out with true 4k PLS panels  (4096 x 2160) so even better colors, better blacks  and there 32 inch. which i think is the butter zoon because 28 is just to small for 4k. Hope this helps your purchase.

And for most of you trolls you will notice my biggest grips are not the fact its TN its more of the fact the screen is just to small for 4k effectively

edit: dont get me wrong 4k GAMING is AAMMMMMMMMAZIING! but eveyrthing else is ehh do to screen size