Best Headphones You've used

Tech is Key

MDR-1R

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I just got a pair of Shure SE-215s a couple months ago, and I am loving them. I really like them for games... and music... pretty much anything.They're the first good headphones I've bought (besides my Siberia V2s). I usually like traditional over-the-ear headphones for comfort, but my Shures have amazing sound isolation. My PC is a bit loud, so they are absolutely worth it.

The only thing is they make my ears a bit itchy, I'm kind of weird about putting things in there, but whatever.

Best tried:

- Bright sound: HD800

- Warm and solid sound: LCD 2

Best owned (still have them):

- AD700 for bright and wideness

- HE400 for warm and solid sound (my everyday use)

Tried:

LCD-3

LCD-2

LCD-X

HD800

HD650

HD600

Own:

HiFiMan He-500

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X

Best I've used so far: Probably a tossup between the lcd-3 and my he-500's, the LCD-3 sound a bit less open, but the comfort is unreal

What did you think about the HD650's and the HD800's

I'm not sure if I should go with a pair of HD650 or just save up for a pair of HD700's (Or even HD800 if I'm feeling really adventurous/patient)

I currently use the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros as my daily driver and I love them, I use them for music production as well, but I'm looking for a more HiFi-sounding open-back headphone at the moment.

What did you think about the HD650's and the HD800's

I'm not sure if I should go with a pair of HD650 or just save up for a pair of HD700's (Or even HD800 if I'm feeling really adventurous/patient)

I currently use the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros as my daily driver and I love them, I use them for music production as well, but I'm looking for a more HiFi-sounding open-back headphone at the moment.

HD800 are highly overpriced and I didn't like them whatsoever tbh, they sound so bland and are very picky about the source of music or they just sound bad.

They are very very very clear, the most clear headphones I've ever heard, but they were in no way shape or form "fun" to listen to.

If you really want high-end, I'd recommend HD650 or HE-500. They sound phenomenal for the price, especially the 500s.

I'll pm you with a bigger explaination.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Best tried:

I have the HD800, they've got largest soundstage best imaging too. Obviously cannot perfectly compare due to price difference.

I think in the future I might get LCD3, so I have bright and a dark headphone.

And STAX 009, heard some good things about those. I heard the HE400s are a bit uncomfortable and heavy?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I have the HD800, they've got largest soundstage best imaging too. Obviously cannot perfectly compare due to price difference.

I think in the future I might get LCD3, so I have bright and a dark headphone.

And STAX 009, heard some good things about those. I heard the HE400s are a bit uncomfortable and heavy?

Stax 009, hearing from a 'friend's friend's friend', wide soundstage, solid sound, 3D feeling, as though the vocalist is standing in one point, and 'touchable'. But this is the information I got from mouth to mouth, so dunno how much of the original info changed :) 1 thing for sure, it needs gigantic power. So along with the purchase, we'll get its special made amp to pair with the headphone. My friend told me the story when he attended a headphone meeting in a cafe. With the press of power on on the amp, the electricity in the cafe went out. Happened twice, until they were politely asked to leave. Would love to audition for one of those someday, though....

HE400 weighs 440g without cord, that's almost 1/2 kg. It's indeed heavy, especially because I was coming from the AD700 which weighs only at 280g without cord. Hifiman did a good job in designing though, if the headband is adjusted tightly on top of the skull, the weight is distributed evenly, so it doesn't feel incredibly heavy. Need some time to get adjusted to the weight though.

Stax 009, hearing from a 'friend's friend's friend', wide soundstage, solid sound, 3D feeling, as though the vocalist is standing in one point, and 'touchable'. But this is the information I got from mouth to mouth, so dunno how much of the original info changed :) 1 thing for sure, it needs gigantic power. So along with the purchase, we'll get its special made amp to pair with the headphone. My friend told me the story when he attended a headphone meeting in a cafe. With the press of power on on the amp, the electricity in the cafe went out. Happened twice, until they were politely asked to leave. Would love to audition for one of those someday, though....

HE400 weighs 440g without cord, that's almost 1/2 kg. It's indeed heavy, especially because I was coming from the AD700 which weighs only at 280g without cord. Hifiman did a good job in designing though, if the headband is adjusted tightly on top of the skull, the weight is distributed evenly, so it doesn't feel incredibly heavy. Need some time to get adjusted to the weight though.

I don't know how well my neck can tolerate the weight - But I can probably make do. Although if I get a Hifiman it'll probably be HE500 or HE560. There are times where I need to have my headphones on for 12 hours at a time from time to time. The HD800s are comfy, clamping pressure is low but so low where if I look at a piece of paper on the table in front of my instead of looking straight ahead at the computer screen, it feels like it willl fall off lol.

I heard the STAX beats HD800 in everything except soundstage/imaging.

Now I want to know how much power the STAX amp takes!

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I don't know how well my neck can tolerate the weight - But I can probably make do. Although if I get a Hifiman it'll probably be HE500 or HE560. There are times where I need to have my headphones on for 12 hours at a time from time to time. The HD800s are comfy, clamping pressure is low but so low where if I look at a piece of paper on the table in front of my instead of looking straight ahead at the computer screen, it feels like it willl fall off lol.

I heard the STAX beats HD800 in everything except soundstage/imaging.

Now I want to know how much power the STAX amp takes!

Well, TBH I found the story a little misunderstood by the way my friend told it. I'm guessing it's not that the amp takes insanely hundreds or even thousands of watts, but perhaps rather the 'first start/power on' that draws insane spikes on the electrical outlet which tripped the MCB. I can't say anything for sure until I actually talk to the first hand Stax owner (which only a few in my country)

The HE 400 (and I imagine its superiors), although quite heavy, really distribute the weight evenly, so it's our neck that does all the weight lifting. Our neck is more powerful than we thought it is. Poorly designed headphones rest in an awkward way on top of our head, giving stress points on our skull, or even our ears (if it relies on the clamping force more than the headband), which is not the case with good designed headphones. The HE 500 is 502g, and the Stax 009 is 454g. I think it's because of the planar and electrostatic drivers that make them much heavier than most dynamic driver ones

As much as I love the sound of the new orthos - HE500, the LCD range - I could never live with them because of the weight.

I also feel (personal opinion only) that even the l Lambda models of Stax (at least the 3/4/5 models) sound better and are cheaper (although once you add amplification they can be much more expensive depending on how high end you go). In a purely subjective "joy of music" sense I actually prefer them to the high end Staxes, although I can appreciate the latter's technical superiority.

A fact about the Lambdas few who paid for the more expensive ones want to hear is that the SR30*, 40* and 507/LE all have the exaxt same drivers (in their range). The difference is in the cable (which I'm sure makes no differnce) the colour, and in the case of the 507/LE leather pads. The 507 also has a different frame and headband assembly.

It's worth knowing this as you can find SR303 for very reasonable price and then make them sound a hell of a lot better by adding the leather pads (which are horribly expensive but worth it).

If it wasn't for the extra expense in amping, I'd recommend them all the time as one of the all time bargains in high end audio.

ATH - AD700x are the best headphones I've ever used. They're the first too :) Can't wait to buy a few more and start a nice collection.

ATH - AD700x are the best headphones I've ever used. They're the first too :) Can't wait to buy a few more and start a nice collection.

Be careful, you'll addicted and pretty soon you'll want to sell your daughter for a new pair of LCD3s.  :P

Best tried:

Just got my o2+odac today for my he-500's   God dam I love these things xD

Had them for almost a week now, marvelous :D

It's funny you have AD700's and HE-400 and I have AD900X and HE-500 lol

We're almost twins xD

8MueG.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

AudioTechnica Ad700's. Very light and comfortable partly due to the low clamping force of wing headband, party due to the soft velour pads that sit over your ear and partly due to the open ear design. I never liked the pressure feeling you get with closed back noise isolating headphones. The pressure difference annoys me. These are one of the best for positional accuracy, they sound amazing for old school rock and roll (trippy music that makes use of soundstage like the doors/pink floyd) and orchestra/classical. For certain music they are bass light though (somewhat similar to the HD558s I believe) but in saying that the bass is still clear and sounds decent, just not much thump. Also you pretty much can't go outside with them. One, they leak noise like a bastard, two they fall off your head and three you will look like a complete gobshite with them (massive and ugly :)). All in all, I absolutely love them. So happy with my purchase. Also like stated below

ATH - AD700x are the best headphones I've ever used. They're the first too :)Can't wait to buy a few more and start a nice collection.

Be careful, you'll addicted and pretty soon you'll want to sell your daughter for a new pair of LCD3s.  :P

I also can't wait to collect and become addicted because they really open you up to a whole new world of how fantastic music can sound.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Just got my o2+odac today for my he-500's   God dam I love these things xD

Had them for almost a week now, marvelous :D

It's funny you have AD700's and HE-400 and I have AD900X and HE-500 lol

We're almost twins xD

8MueG.jpg

It's funny to think the O2 was designed and firstly made by 1 mysterious guy (the nwavguy dude), not a group of sound and electronic engineers in a big sophisticated audio lab, and yet the design is being copied anywhere by audio companies. Didn't mean this in a cynical way. On the contrary, I found this story, and the nwavguy dude, to be awesome. 

The HE 500 was on my upgrade list, but here, in my country, I can get an LCD-2 (cheapest variant) with a little price difference (around $130 more). But yeah, loving the planar sounds so far...:)

I also can't wait to collect and become addicted because they really open you up to a whole new world of how fantastic music can sound.

Try finding a store like the one in my post, http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/147249-candy-store-for-audio-manias/

You'll find yourself skipping lunch hours to spend times there....:)

q

I got mine for 529.99 open box full warranty :D

Planning on getting a braided sleeved cable soon, the stock cable sux :c

Headphones: Shure 840 (modded headband)

IEM: Shure SE215 Clear

Speakers: Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

The Shure 840 headband is insanely heavy for no reason, a thick rubber headband was replaced by a fabric wrap with foam. I got the Shure 840 due to its great bang for the buck and warm mid-range (since I listen to a lot of vocal dubstep).

I got the Shure SE215 due to wanting great audio when I'm not a home, they work superbly and are a great bang for the buck.

The Soundsticks III is the first speaker system that I've owned, the bass is great for any song and the design is beautiful.

After the Tom's Hardware audio article on PC audio being 'snake oil', I've decided not to buy a DAC/AMP due to having low impedance headphones, and that the sound quality increases a negligible amount given the price. The only reasons I would suggest to get an AMP/DAC is if: 

1) The onboard audio produces static and the audio is distorted by interference

2) You have high impedance headphones and require a lot of power to drive them

Of course I'm limited in my opinion on AMPS/DACS having never owned one, but the reviews claiming that they 'increase sound quality immensely' are biased and most likely due to the placebo effect.

Nothing amazing, maybe the Sennheiser HD 598. Considering it wasn't bad using a phone, it's be good amped. I want a 558 but will need an amp.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Nothing amazing, maybe the Sennheiser HD 598. Considering it wasn't bad using a phone, it's be good amped. I want a 558 but will need an amp.

Uh. 558s don't need an amp. 

my cousin's setup

Headphones: Beyerdynamic T1

Amp: Woo Audio WA3

DAC: DacMagic

very very nice setup but to me lacks sound stage and lower bass punch. but other then that its fantastic.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

my cousin's setup

Headphones: Beyerdynamic T1

Amp: Woo Audio WA3

DAC: DacMagic

very very nice setup but to me lacks sound stage and lower bass punch. but other then that its fantastic.

I dunno I hate getting punched by bassists.

Uh. 558s don't need an amp. 

79218542_XB300vsHD558Impedance.jpeg

Mid-bass needs lots of power...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums.

Outstanding clarity, unrivaled comfort, punchy and controlled bass, massive wide soundstage.  I felt the highs were too sparkly at first but since burning them in and also adjusting my ear they really shine.

There are my first foray into "audiophile" equipment though.

For my mobile/3DS I'm currently using some Bang & Olufsen H3's which are also getting better and better by the day.  Supreme comfort, outstanding build quality, great isolation, awesome sound if a little warm on the bass which I don't mind for the stuff I listen to.  I'd rather have my bass roar and be punchy than be muddy and overbearing.

I listen to them with my volume at about 50%, you can turn these boys up to maximum and it doesn't hurt.